How to get video on you tube

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Ok I have managed to DIY a video onto you tube all by myself without the help of my son. This on it's own has provided me with much pleasure. I looked through the forum for a suitable area to post my 'how to' and this seems the most appropriate place.
Firstly I will declare I am not an expert but I learn enough to get the job done, which is probably why I can make sense to others who are not of the x,y or z generations.
Ok here goes.
You Tube will host your video but they have restrictions and they are-
1/ your video must be no longer than 10 minutes (I tried 14min-no go)
2/ The file size of your video must be no more than 100mb

Ok to give you an idea, the 14min DVD I made from my latest video was 532mb, much larger than you tube will accept.
I ran the video recorder and edited while I recorded a DVD that came in under 10minutes total play time.
The next step is to download a compression programme which is commonly known as ripping software.The one I downloaded was isofter DVD platinum which is very well laid out, input on the left from DVD, output on the right to a file you set up and a small video screen at the bottom showing your video as it progresses.
The input seems to load automatically from the DVD and you only have to configure the output which conveniently has a you tube setting.Then you press start and it all happens in front of your eyes the finished file is reduced to 100mb or under and you can play the file in windows media player to check it.
Now you need to register with you tube and then you will be able to upload the compressed video.They say this takes a short time but I found on my system it took much longer, in fact I went to bed and left it running.
Once it's finished you can bring up the video on you tube and play it.
The last step is to post it on the forum and to do this follow these steps.
While you have the you tube window open with your video click on more info and bring up the url line, highlight the line and copy it by clicking on edit(tool bar) click on copy.Next bring up the forum and when you have your post ready click on edit(tool bar) again and then click paste. The you tube link will now be in place when you submit. However if it doesn't work please don't blame me I only gave you the process. It is nice to boast to the kids you can do it! though

Ross:thumbsup:

Malcolm

Supporter
And to think, Ross, I thought you were cutting out sideways/scary/bad driving moments instead of just making it shorter for the benefit of fitting on You Tube! Hopefully if I can ever get my system to work properly, this will come in useful to me. Thanks.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ross,

You Tube only shows up about a roughy 400x300 video therefore cut down your video resolution and it will DRAMATICALLY reduce the size. I bet your 14 min video is in high res which is why it is so large. My entire 35 min race at 320x200 is only around 50 meg or so.

Since You Tube doesn't display in high res anyhow dropping the native resolution of the video won't hurt anything.

Ron

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Ray
My video link is posted on the racetrack forum.

Ron
Did you get your 35min video to upload to you tube? I compressed my 14min one to under 100mb and uploaded it but it was rejected for being too long, so I edited/shortened it to 9mins and it uploaded and was accepted.

Ross

Ron Earp

Admin
Nope, won't take, I shorten them all to 9:XX minutes and post them in stages. I'm just saying that since You Tube doesn't store or show in hi res you might as well shorten your upload times by sending a file that is lower resolution and hence much smaller.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes that's what the ripping software does, after selecting you tube for the output it seems to hold the resolution to satisfy you tube and allow the best quality video after compression.

Ross

Malcolm

Supporter
Another tip I had today was to record in MP2 format and not MP4 format. If the DVR recorder is cut short by a power failure (battery goes flat or spikes) the file isn't corrupted in MP2 but it is in MP4. I have had too much experience of this so far so will be trying that out with my new multi camera DVR recorder which should arrive tomorrow. It had better work, I have had two fab races which would have been action action all the way but the files corrupted due to power interruptions.

Back