AC hose blew off

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
How many people have had a AC rupture or blow off the fittings? Mine blew off when I pulled over and turned the car off in Tulsa at the Shelby meet on Friday. It was not over charged and had been working perfect for some time. I know Kirby had his rupture in the same place mine did. It sure makes a hot ride home, not sure how hot it was in the car but felt 120 or so for 170 miles.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
High side hose connection where it connects to the tubes going to the front of the car. The hardest one to get to. :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
To my surprise and happyness it was the O ring that failed! I must have pinched it when putting on the hoses and it gave out. Thats an easier fix than the hose. Shouldn't have jump the gun.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I initially had a leak. Using dye, I found it to be the wrong size O-ring on the same fitting Jack is speaking of. The O-ring, being too large, was damaged when it was installed. I replaced that O-ring, but realized it was too big and you could see how it would slice off a piece of it....

I got the correct O-ring size (one size smaller) installed, pressure tested, evacuated and filled with everything hunky-dory and then the same fitting blew the hose just at the crimp.

They crimp the convoluted insulation on at the same time they crimp the fitting and my feeling is that is weakening the hose at the crimp.
In any case, I had the hose replaced (used a custom hose place) and so far, so good.

I did not have the insulation crimped on the new hose.

FWIW,
Kirby

Back