Webers - Leaky Banjos

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
When I made the fuel lines for my 48IDA setup, I used (as I almost always do) Aeroquip fittings and hose. The banjos came with dead-soft aluminum washers. The banjo bolts are alloy as are the banjos themselves.

I put a drop of oil on the threads of the banjo bolts prior to installing to keep them from galling. I had 3 out of the 4 banjo connections seeping fuel at 3.5 PSI while the engine was on the dyno.

So - the question is this - Is there a good banjo washer set out there that works better than the aluminum ones?

Holley carbs have a really nice washer that goes under the large float-bowl nut that has a thin neoprene coating on them. Something like that would be very nice..

What's your experience with these washers and what would you suggest?

IMG_1639.jpg

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I wonder if the surface area of the banjo isn't true. The setup I have has a bit different setup. Pierce uses an aluminum block and AN inlet/output fittings. The washers are a fiber materialon the outside and aluminum in the carb side. No issues with this setup...

Nov13_015.jpg
</IMG>

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Guys..

RE: Surfaces true
I've never had a problem with any Aeroquip brand fitting in the past - unlike Russell / Earls and XRP.. I don't mind paying for the higher quality/spec parts..

I'll order up the seals... Far cheaper than a fire you know..

Randy, I was at Pep Boys the other day and I saw that they carried a very similiar washer as the stat o seals. They were in the area where oil pan washers would be.

The stat o seals should work fine, but another trick, if the washers have been previously installed is to either use a copp-o-seal spray or to try heating them. The heat will attempt to return them to the dead soft original condition. This works pretty well on copper washers, but I must abmit, I have never tried the heat on the aluminum ones.

I have run Webbers for a long time. Some seeping is almost always going to occur on the shafts. It shouldn't be much. Just enough to collect some dust after quite a bit of use.

Back