No Problem With The SLC

Some of you have really been bashing me and my points that I made about the SLC, so let me just come right out and tell you what the problem is with the SLC.

It is too damn good.

There is no way demand is not gonna be high and the price is gonna stay as low as it is. My problem is that I could afford a $25k kit and then adding my stuff to it come out with a nice vehicle, but I can't justify the whole nut at this time of the SLC, and I'm pretty sure the price will be going up. Sure I could do the basic RCR GT 40, but come on. After seeing the SLC do most of us really want to do the GT 40, if price and all other things were equal? Sure some people will want the classic lines of the GT 40, but for me, if I went down that road, I would forever be thinking "man I coulda done a SLC". The registration would be easier on a GT 40, but as with most things in life, the things you REALLY want are not usually easily achievable. Hence, I will keep my fingers crossed that my disposable income increases faster than the price of the SLC and just keep dreaming.

BTW- There has been some talk about my user name not being "real". Let me assure you that if you were in my presence and uttered the words "Hey Crash" I would turn my head and respond to you. It has been my nick name for better than 12 years, and NO it's not for the reasons you think.

Last edited:
Re: Serious Problem With The SLC

If you have not seen it in person, you have no idea how right you are. Almost changed my order on the spot.

After seeing the SLC do most of us really want to do the GT 40, if price and all other things were equal? Sure

Here is your mistake. I do be thinking that most of us here (on this site, not just this section) are into historic looking and feeling cars.

I've been reading the other thread, and please, once and for all get over the fact that you are not the target market for this car.

Cheers

Fred W B

You know what? Fran and I had a talk last night on the phone. We got to know each other a little better. I could hear in his voice something I dealt with about 10 years back when I was the manufacturer and distributor of LED tail and marker lights. I worked my butt off getting those things SAE and DOT approved. I had three different styles and four different colors. I thought I had things pretty well covered. Within the first week of distribution the calls started coming in. The mounting holes were too far apart. The light was too thin. It was too bright. Could I make it in a custom color. They wanted other than 12 VDC. I couldn't believe the crap I got on a stupid light. I remembered that last night after speaking with Fran, and can only imagine the requests he gets on something as complex as an entire vehicle.

This thread is not about me. It is about Fran's decision to do what he is doing and you (me) either buy it or you don't. He's right. This thread is about the fact that he builds a damn fine automobile for the price, and an acknowledgement from me that he is right in packaging it like he is. I am a racer, but I am also a businessman, and my business sense says that this vehicle will be selling for more in the not too distant future.

As far as me being the target market or not, well, I guess the answer to that will be if I write the check or not.

To use your word,
"Cheers"

J. Salmon- I don't think, for me, it would be healthy, as far as my marriage is concerned, to visit the car in person right now. There's no way I would be leaving without our bank account taking a hit. In other words, I am too scared to go see Frans place right now.:deal:

Fair enough Crash, seems you have come a long way from your first post which was to complain about the fact that Fran would not sell you just the bits and pieces you wanted.

Cheers again, just getting a new beer from the fridge

Fred W B

Are you this "verbal" about all the things you can't have?

To me, that term doesn't exist. It's a matter of "how bad do I want it?" and finding a way to make it happen, while, at the same time, not doing something personally, financially, stupid.

And to answer your question.....YES. And if you can't tell, I enjoy debate. I have also been termed a "master-de-bater":laugh:

There is no way demand is not gonna be high and the price is gonna stay as low as it is. My problem is that I could afford a $25k kit and then adding my stuff to it come out with a nice vehicle, but I can't justify the whole nut at this time of the SLC, and I'm pretty sure the price will be going up. Sure I could do the basic RCR GT 40, but come on. After seeing the SLC do most of us really want to do the GT 40, if price and all other things were equal? Sure some people will want the classic lines of the GT 40, but for me, if I went down that road, I would forever be thinking "man I coulda done a SLC". The registration would be easier on a GT 40, but as with most things in life, the things you REALLY want are not usually easily achievable. Hence, I will keep my fingers crossed that my disposable income increases faster than the price of the SLC and just keep dreaming.
GT40 is still the one for me. The lines still make it one of, if not the, most beautiful cars
ever made (IMHO). I have no desire to get an SL-C (no offense Fran, not my cup of tea).

Also, I suspect that the price of the SL-C will not rise according to demand, but rather
inflation or on re-analysis of cost to produce . Fran has set the price at a point he feels
comfortable with. I doubt demand will change his mindset. Heck, ERA's GT40 price hasn't
moved that much over the years, yet the waiting list keeps getting longer.

BTW- There has been some talk about my user name not being "real". Let me assure you that if you were in my presence and uttered the words "Hey Crash" I would turn my head and respond to you. It has been my nick name for better than 12 years, and NO it's not for the reasons you think.

Perhaps, in the near future, I'll get to test that theory ;)

Ian

Ian- Absolutely. You've been very helpful and level headed towards me in the other threads. I am doing some renovations to my shop right now, it's 3000 sq ft, but full at this point. I'm pouring more concrete in the next month or so and as soon as I feel it is "presentable" and sorted, and room is made for my "new hobby" I'd love to have you by..... with your new car? I note you don't have the GT 40 yet. What's your timeline?

Alas, just as things seem to get to a point where I can seriously
consider diving in, something happens.

3 weeks ago all of the plumbing under the house had to be replaced.
That's what happens when you buy a 40 year old house.

Last week, my car got stolen. I still have 2 weeks to wait for insurance
to declare it a loss (95 Integra GS-R - I'm sure it's gone). Coupled with
the above plumbing issue, any hopes of buying something this year is
most likely shot.

Ian

Thanks Crash.
I decided a while ago that I would keep the pricing structure for all the RCR replicas in line with one another...
The SL-C will follow the same protocol....

I did not raise the price of the replicas without including many more expensive components...AC. leather interior, stainless exhaust, brake line system etc etc

Also , I have not changed the price in the last two years even though the cost of raw metal materials has gone through the roof, as have the oil based products used in the body manufacture.
My business models are based on volume and value for money...and so far appear to be working quite well....

Rest assured ,I will not be raising the price of the SL-C in the forseeable future...but I will be adding some upgrade interior options as I mentioned elsewhere..

I am happy where its at and again , my aim is a balance between volume and value...in fact I lowered the price to $43,995 from the original projected $44,995...

Keeping the shop humming along is far more productive than trying to capitalise on a few higher priced sales...dont you think?

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man

On a slightly different tack, I will just point out - that anyone seeing this thread, without knowing the background to it, would immediately jump to the conclusion that there is a serious design flaw with the SLC or some major mechanical defect. From what I have read - there is NO SUCH THING! It is just that you, Crash, are unhappy with RCR's marketing of the product - titleing this thread "Serious Problem With The SLC " is asking for trouble. I am amazed that Fran has been so relaxed about the issue, particularly in such a litigationist culture as "the States". If it had been my business and I saw that headline, I might well have been reaching for the 'phone:(.

You dont see cheap tabloid headlines "Serious Problem With The Ford Mustang" because it doesnt come with the option of a 2litre diesel engine, or the option of fitting a Nissan gearbox. RCR have their own marketing philosophy and they have to suffer!? the consequences. If you dont like it - go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.

actually little headlines like this can work quite well (in moderation)... people jump into this thread and clearly 3rd line down

"too damn good"

mind you got my heart beat going when i first spotted it.

Not An Issue With The Sl-c

I am not too worried at this point about the title but I thank you for your concern guys...
I was surprised to read it initially but putting positive info about pricing should actually work in the cars favour....I hope...:shocked:

I'm still in shock that this car is being offered at $44K.:shocked: Just for perspective, our Nobles cost us in the area of $150K (per) to finish (there were lots of extras added). I have little doubt that the SL-Cs will hang right with them at every turn on the track, every straight away, and will capture the attention/interest of everyone who sees them just as much (at half the cost) when complete. The big (and boutique) manufactures should hang their heads in shame with regard to their sport/super car pricing when the Superlites begin to hit the streets and tracks around the nation. We cant say it enough, purely a fantastic automotive creation! RCR has done a great service on behalf of performance enthusiasts.:pepper:

How about some more data points besides the price. Get one on a track in the hands of someone's opinion that actually matters.

Its on the cards...I will be sure give you the info first...:thumbsup:...so you can compare it to your Ultima GTR.

Hi Fran,
Tried to get onto your web site quite a few times with no luck.
"Problem loading page" Now it maybe my computer, but I don't think so.
You may have a problem!
Cheers
Paul

Back