Convert MKII into MKI ?

I found a very good deal on a ready to go SPF MKII but I really want and MKI (1075 wide rear shell). Can the front and rear shell simply be replaced with MKI units? What else would need to be done? Thanks

Brian

The differences on the front clip are small enough you may only want to change the rear clip. It will still be expensive. The rear clips are pretty hard to make.

How much are the rear clips and can you purchase them directly from an SPF dealer?

Thanks

Brian

You may want to check the cost the rear clip mount/pivot frame work (steel part attached to chassis that the rear clip mounts/pivots on) as well. They are different.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Suggest contacting Steve Briscoe for his observations. Steve, who is also a forum member (send a PM to '60-61'), has the good fortune of being VERY familiar with both the SPF Mk 1 and Mk 2.

Best,

T.

I don’t understand why people think only the MKII's used the Halibrand wheels. I could be wrong but I think they were used on most MKI’s from 63 up until 68/69 after the wire wheels started breaking.

On the SPF GT40’s the rear structure is different between the MKI and MKII so you will have to get that part. I’m not sure if the mounting of the nose is different. If I were getting a MKII I’d buy it with the MKI nose to make it a MKIIa. I like the nose better.

Last edited:
The MKIIa didn't have the same front clip as the MKI.

For a start, the vent is missing from the centre in front of the screen (removed due to front mounted oil tank), and the insert is different.

I believe, but could be wrong, that the SPF mkII chassis is modified in more ways than just the clips. I know for sure that the originals were.

To make a SPF MKII look like a SPF MKI you would have to also change the MKII Halibrands to BRMs.

Uh...no. :rolleyes:

While late GT40s (1967-on) normally used BRM wheels, the original Mk 1 cars used wire wheels in '64-65, and then in 1965-66-67 they typically used Halibrand wheels that were unique to the GT40, which looked somewhat like Cobra wheels, but with added ribbing here and there.

These were also the wheels used on all the Mk II cars.

Many early cars were later retrofitted with BRM wheels, either in period or much more recently. Arguably the 'right' look for a Mk 1 depends upon which era you are trying to replicate. For me, *only* the Halibrands will do. :thumbsup:

Would I be correct in thinking that the reason the later MK1 cars used BRM's was due to a shortage of the Halibrand wheels at that time. I seem to remember hearing something like that. I'm loosely replicating a '68/'69 car but I went for the halibrands 'cos I recon that's what was truely intended and I like them better than BRM's anyhow.
Martin

Richard and Mike,
Man you guys can't read can you.
I said "To make a SPF MKII look like a SPF MKI you would have to also change the MKII Halibrands to BRMs." because thats the way SPF specs the MKI and MKII.
I didn't say to make it look like a Original 1960s GT40! :rolleyes:

OMG I think you’re right, does that mean I'll have to send back the Halidrands I got with my SPF MKI, lol. As far as I can tell other than the framework that holds up the rear clip (should be interchangeable with the clip), oil coolers and of course the front and rear clips themselves the rest of the car is the same between the SPF MKI and MKII. They both come with the fake (MKII) oil tank/AC system in the original spare tire area.

So to answer the original question on how to change a SPF MKII into a MKI you would need the following. Front and rear MKI clips, rear MKI framework, MKI oil cooler and I’m sure some other small parts and wheels of your choice. You will also have to decide which radiator outlet you want, twin or single. If you are really serious let me know and I’ll measure the bolt locations on a MKII and compare it to my MKI. I'm sure Superformance would be glad to sell you everything you will need. They might even to be able to match the paint.

Last edited:
BRIAN

JUst my personal experience.

THe longer i look on both types, the more i favor the MKII design over the MK I. It is just the "racier" car. Take a closer look at the pictures of some nice MK II for example in the american shelby collection.
gt1046dmed.jpg

they are just beautyful

just mho
TOM

Tom,
No doubt the MKIIs are beautiful...especially in black w/gold wheels BUT I have always loved the look of the MKI with the wide rear flares. I would most certainly be happy with an MKII but....a little happier with a wide flared MKI :)

Brian

The Mark II has a more aggressive, powerful and intimidating appearance, what with the extra scoops. It was also the most powerful on the track (excepting the Mark IV, which was an entirely different car) with the unprecedented 1-2-3 finish in '66. It will be the one I will get (if I get one at all).

But as for NSXER, the Mark I's have their appeal. It all depends on yer druthers . . . . . .

By the way, the Number 2 in the image above, if it's #1046 and not a copy, is the car that won in '66.

By the way, the Number 2 in the image above, if it's #1046 and not a copy, is the car that won in '66.

Of course it is an original. In April i had the pleasuere and honor to be guided through the shelby collection by Steve Volk, one of the founders and the owner of most of the cars there. It is an incredible collection.
I had the chance to get very close to the cars, because Steve took away all the border ropes and opened up the cars for us. It was just awsome. Have taken tons of pictures of J7 and #1021, but i would like to ask Steve for permission before posting them.

TOM

Back