Ferrari-powered SL-C?

OK...some opinions before I "pull the trigger" and potentially shoot myself in the foot! :shy:

Any opinions whether a Ferrari 575 engine (65-degree V12) will fit the SL-C? If so, what transaxle combo (I have a 996 LSD sitting in my shop) would match this: Ricardo, 996, Ferrari 360.....or? I'm hoping that the 5.8 L V12 will be short enough and not too wide, etc. Expert input greatly appreciated!

Best,

Doc Kaler, aka CANTDRIVE55

Craig may be able to say, but if not you'll have to wait on Fran to get back from his vacation to say for sure, but I do know he had someone who was at least going to put a Ferrari V12 in one and said it would fit, so assuming we're talking about a similar motor, then you're fine. *shrug*

Fran is back in another week, I do believe.

--Donnie

Thanks for the reply.

I've communicated with Fran prior to his "holiday". He mentioned that he'd not be sure unless I could get measurements (which I don't have). Anyone have one of these laying around to measure?

I have the measurements from that family of engines and as a matter of fact was trying to get Fran to confirm it would fit in an SLC way back. I'll get you what you need this week sometime. Now that I have my SLC it will be easy to see if it would have/will fit based on my measurents, but my guess that it is unlikely unless the transaxle is set way off axle centerline (but I need to confirm).

BTW: I did buy a 360 engine and transaxle for installation in my SLC but decided it was not going to make enough HP for track use. The engine and tranny are avalable for purchase if a V8 Ferrari will do (it will certainly fit and sound KILLER)

I thought the V12 (may not be a Ferrari) car that he was contracted to build was a special chassis one off deal made to fit the engine (but I could be remembering wrong)

rob

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I thought Fran said everything from a Subaru boxer 4 to a Mercedes V12 would fit. I think he also said the Viper engine would work, but I'm not 100% on that. Might be worth a call. Sweet powerplant idea though!! Gonna keep it NA or are you gonna put a little boost to it?

Hi Brian,

It would be NA "all the way" (My Viper was modified internally and NA, just like the NA concept). I talked to Fran about the Viper engine and I think he said it was about 6-inches too long (I feel a joke about to happen!). It's an 8.0-8.3L with coffee-can size cylinders versus the 5.75L Ferrari.

I think if I had the motor to work with, I would be hard pressed NOT to put it in a P4 replica. You need to see the RCR P4 before you decide, as it is even better looking than the 40s and the SLC (well, to me). I just could not see putting one together without the Ferrari V12 (it would not even be the same with a Ferrari V8). If I had a motor available, this decision would have been a no-brainer.

Looked at in a financial way, the Norwood built P4's using this motor are way into six figures... I think 300k or so. A well built RCR P4 with a modern V12 would no doubt command a good price, much more so than an RCR40 or an SLC. An SLC with a Ferrari V12 is going to have all the wonderful headaches that come with Ferrari, but it will just be a hotrod. I am a big tifosi, but the dealer network is a drag, and any part with that prancing horse on it is typically 5 to 10 times more expensive, and not necessarily better built.

Don't get me wrong, that motor will be a gem in any car, I am just trying to give you another perspective.

Of course, if I had the coin, I would be slapping that 360 V8 of Mesas in an SLC. Enzo never like those little motors, he wouldn't give a hoot :)

Brian Hamilton

Ah, that's cool. I can imagine that Ferrari V12 screaming behind your head... What a killer sound!! Are you going to modify it? What are your plans?

Brian Hamilton

I think if I had the motor to work with, I would be hard pressed NOT to put it in a P4 replica. You need to see the RCR P4 before you decide, as it is even better looking than the 40s and the SLC (well, to me). I just could not see putting one together without the Ferrari V12 (it would not even be the same with a Ferrari V8). If I had a motor available, this decision would have been a no-brainer.

Looked at in a financial way, the Norwood built P4's using this motor are way into six figures... I think 300k or so. A well built RCR P4 with a modern V12 would no doubt command a good price, much more so than an RCR40 or an SLC. An SLC with a Ferrari V12 is going to have all the wonderful headaches that come with Ferrari, but it will just be a hotrod. I am a big tifosi, but the dealer network is a drag, and any part with that prancing horse on it is typically 5 to 10 times more expensive, and not necessarily better built.

Don't get me wrong, that motor will be a gem in any car, I am just trying to give you another perspective.

Of course, if I had the coin, I would be slapping that 360 V8 of Mesas in an SLC. Enzo never like those little motors, he wouldn't give a hoot :)

You know Fran still has that 512 S replica sitting around... If I had that motor, THAT'S what I'd build. Oh wait, also need the $$$ for it. Might wanna give him a call about it.

mmmmmmmm......

Attachments

• 1680-3.jpg
    1680-3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 361
Fran will be back on deck on the 21st July.

Getting the measurements together is a good starting point and will allow Fran to determine if it should fit in theory, but I'm expecting we won't know for certain without performing a physical test fitment to see what issues there are with accessories, intake etc.

It would certainly sound fantastic. :D

Hi Brian and J,

IF I am fortunate enough to pick up this engine AND it fits with accessories AND I can mate it to a tranny I think I would be happy with keeping it "stock-ish". I haven't kept any of my vehicles stock so my history would tell a different story. The P4 would certainly keep true to the Mark (except maybe the 996 LSD tranny if it works) and you may be spot-on with the financial assessments. I'll get the dimensions and do some final soul-searching for the body type I guess. The idea of using Mesa's 360 setup has indeed crossed my mind for the SL-C especially if I could nudge it to Stradale HP or a little better (Wt:HP of between 5.5 to 5.17, respectively). Either would sound great Craig!

Brian Hamilton

Know what would be insanely sweet? Twin Turbo Ferrari V12 (or V8 ala F40) in the back of ANYTHING!!! Hahaha The sound and power would be insane. And I'm all about insane. I'm all about power! Unfortunately I'm all about not having any money too... So I can live vicariously through you. :thumbsup: So, when you figure out what you wanna do, you let me know and I'll tell you how to spend your money. Hahaha How bout the 512M that Fran has...

P000Fade.jpg
P000Fade.jpg

Yummy!!!

Brian Hamilton

Good Gosh Brian....STOP IT! I'm already confused enough!

Dude, you're in Texas?! Where is Lone Oak, I'm in Brownwood, about 2 hours west of Ft. Worth, 1.5 hours east of Abilene, and about 2 hours north of Austin.
Nevermind all that, just get the 512 and I'll come help you build it. LOL I didn't realize you were close(ish).

Brian,

I live in the "suburbs" of Lone Oak, Pop = 541, which is East of Dallas, near Lake Fork and Tawakoni. If I complete this project before I'm too old to enjoy it I'll probably track it at Motorsports Ranch and Eagle Canyon tracks.

What do you guys think of the AMG 55 Kompressor Kleemann tuned? I know...not a Ferrari....but, 500+ HP!

Brian Hamilton

Motorsport Ranch isn't too far from me. I drive past it on the way to Ft. Worth. My soon-to-be-wife and step-daughter deal with me pretty well when we pass and I start naming all the cars hauling ass around the track. haha

As far as the AMG Benzo, they're pretty sweet. Very comfortable and faaast.

BUT...

I still say 512M. You know you want to!! You know you do!!! :poke:

Well Doc,
Hate to burst your bubble here but......it don't look too good for a V12. The engine bay of an SLC is right about 35.25 inches from "firewall" to axle centerline. The 360 box is 9.50 inches bellhousing to stubaxle centerline, the 550 Maranello engine is 31.50 from bellhousing mate surface to end of cylinder block (not counting crankshaft pulley). So you would need 41.00 inches making it at least 6.00 inches too long .... even before accounting for the pulley.

Bummer.

I have a rough dimensional drawing of it at home I'll post later, if you want.

Brian Hamilton

Well Doc,
Hate to burst your bubble here but......it don't look too good for a V12. The engine bay of an SLC is right about 35.25 inches from "firewall" to axle centerline. The 360 box is 9.50 inches bellhousing to stubaxle centerline, the 550 Maranello engine is 31.50 from bellhousing mate surface to end of cylinder block (not counting crankshaft pulley). So you would need 41.00 inches making it at least 6.00 inches too long .... even before accounting for the pulley.

Bummer.

I have a rough dimensional drawing of it at home I'll post later, if you want.

Oh darn, looks like it's 512M time!!!! :laugh:

Back