Goodwood Revival and where to stay

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike Trusty and I are taking our wives to the Goodwood Revival. :) We need some expert advice on where the GT40 people are going to stay or recommend to stay. This is a big jump from Arkansas so keep the Buckingham palace places out. Are there any houses to rent or cottages? What do you recommend?

Unfortunately I suspect the recommendation is to have booked last year & that houses will usually rent by the week as its still sort of holiday season

I'm pretty sure there are suggestions previously for B&B/hotels but cannot find them

If you have a car almost anywhere is one or two hours away so almost any nice town in the south that has accomodation available will do fine

Last year I stopped in Southampton in a Holiday Inn Express. The folks running the organization are associated with the maverick DDK Porsche classic website. The hotel is something like 30 minutes to Goodwood, and outside of Southampton. If enough show up, they may be able to put security in the parking lot overnight.

Gave me a good deal last year as I am a DDK participant (a 911 driver).

Give them a try.

Dom

I will be attending as well. Usually hotel, B&B, motels, etc. are fully booked. Southhampton is the best bet. Should any of you wish to meet, I will be hanging about with the Goodwood Transport Corps bunch near the main entrance.
Jack - Florida SLC #9 (soon).

Most hotel close by are booked a year in advance. Try Brighton (there are plenty of hotels there) or near by cities. I was at the Festival of Speed last week and had to stay at Crawley (near Gatwick airport) Took me around 50 minutes to get to Goodwood at 7.30 in the morning. Anywhere you stay, plan to leave to get to Goodwood circuit at 7.30 the latest. Otherwise you will spend ages in traffic jams

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks everyone, plans have changed, its only a dream now, maybe next year if no complications. This event has always had my interest.

Just received this re the Goodwood Revival meeting - so in case you've not seen it....

MOTOR RACING STARS TO RACE UNDER THE STARS AT GOODWOOD REVIVAL

The Goodwood Revival - taking place from 19-21 September - will celebrate two key events in 2008, with the 60th anniversary of motor racing at the famous Goodwood motor circuit and the 10th anniversary of the Revival meeting itself.

To help mark these special celebrations, Goodwood will stage arguably the most distinctive race in West Sussex motor circuit's history - and also recreate one of the Revival's most memorable tribute races - the Freddie March Memorial Trophy. In this anniversary year, this race will become a 90-minute endurance chase for only the second time, extending into the dusk on the evening of Saturday 20 September. The race will feature cars in the spirit of the original Goodwood Nine Hour event, including Jaguar C-type, Aston Martin DB3S, Frazer Nash, Cooper-Jaguar, Ferrari 750 Monza, HWM and Lagonda.

The only previous time that the race has run to this format was in 2002, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the inaugural Nine Hour International sports car race at Goodwood in 1952. Special permission was granted to extend the racing longer into the evening than normal, bringing back to Goodwood the magical sight of 1950s sports cars racing in the autumnal twilight with headlamps ablaze, just as they did in the 1950s. It remains one of the most unforgettable races at the Revival to date, and the 2008 recreation promises to be equally enthralling.

The original Nine Hour International sports car race at Goodwood attracted the top works teams of the day, such as Jaguar and Aston Martin, plus some exotic entries from Italy and Germany. The race began at 3pm and continued to midnight, creating the evocative spectacle of sports cars racing from sunshine to sunset to moonlight, just as at the world-famous Le Mans 24 Hour race. Along with the Easter Monday Formula 1 race, the Nine Hour race was Goodwood's flagship event of the season, establishing Goodwood as an International sports car venue and giving rise to the equally famous Goodwood Tourist Trophy when the nine-hour format changed to a shorter three-hour race.

A handful of motor racing stars are expected to compete in this two-driver race, including the legendary Sir Stirling Moss, who took his first ever motor racing victory at Goodwood 60 years ago, as well as multiple Le Mans 24 Hour winner Derek Bell, Formula One winner Jochen Mass and versatile racer Barrie 'Whizzo' Williams.

Says Goodwood Revival founder Lord March: "I am really excited by the prospect of staging this race again, which will bring the concept of the Nine Hour race back to life in a most dramatic fashion. Ever since 2002, it has been an ambition of mine to see racing of this sort return to Goodwood. The cars will look magnificent, racing against the backdrop of an autumnal West Sussex sunset, maybe with the odd star twinkling above."

The Freddie March Memorial Trophy will be just one of 12 races to be run at the 2008 Goodwood Revival, with others including the popular one hour, two driver Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration race for closed-cockpit GT cars in the spirit of the 1960-1964 RAC TT races, as well as the perennially popular St Mary's Trophy for production saloon cars of a type that raced between 1948 and 1959. Other races will cater for sports cars, motorcycles and single seater racing cars, of a type that competed at Goodwood from 1948 to 1966.

To order advance tickets, please contact the Ticket Hotline:
Telephone: +44 1243 755055
Fax: +44 1243 755058
Email: [email protected];
On-line via the Online Ticket section of the Goodwood website: www.goodwood.co.uk

You will find the latest news of the Goodwood Revival at: www.goodwood.co.uk

Sounds Grrrrrrreat!

Back