Ross racing this weekend

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I'm off to Sandown tomorrow morning for racing Sat and Sunday, anyone in the Melbourne area come and say hello. Jobs completed since last race-

Smaller front anti roll bar fitted
Front brake rotors turned to remove runout
Temp paint on rotors
Knob and cable fitted to brake balance bar (no more self adjustment)
Oil change/ new higher quality Fram filter
New rear tyre ordered (the one I didn't destroy with the ill fitting roll bar)
Much cleaning (the never ending job)

I'll post my post race report as usual after the weekend.

Ross :happy:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You're going to love that remote brake bias adjuster....

Give'em hell Ross!!!

Much cleaning (the never ending job)
Ross :happy:[/QUOTE]

Ross,

You are so right about "the never ending job" of cleaning especially after competition.
It is quite an eye opener to anyone who just drives their cars on the roads as to how much wear and different grime and dirt there is when you do any harsh competition. I,ve just stripped my 40 down after many years of hard racing, and despite keeping on top of its maintenance after each event, it still amazes me just how much degradation takes place.

Good fortune this weekend,

Graham.

Hi Ross,

Good luck with this weekend, sorry can't be there, the Marques Sport Car Association Sprint series seems to run the same weekend as the Victorian state racing series.

Regards, Andrew E

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Sorry I haven't been able to reply earlier but it's Sat night and I've done qualifying this morning and a 6 lap race this afternoon. I have a race tomorrow morning and one in the afternoon but I'm not sure of the time. It was dry today but there is a threat of rain tomorrow. I did a 1min 20.9 sec lap today and I have to say it is now such a sweet car to drive, quite a bit different from the beast it used to be.
Now Andrew I heard a rumour that there was more than one GT40 hit the wall at the previous Msca Sandown round.Would you like to elaborate on this please.

Ross

I am now looking forward to a determined effort to cure the hands/steering wheel relationship since the car is now so much better to drive:)

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Good luck this weekend Ross.

I look forward to your race report and video as usual.

Don't worry about Jac Mac.... he's really a nice guy at heart :heart: :lipsrsealed: ;)

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
MMmmm Jac Mac you may be asking me to break a lifetime habit and just like left foot braking, I may not be able to do it. Anyway Sandown corners are mostly 90° unlike Phillip Island corners which require much more steering angle so although I don't have any video to prove it (Russ will hate me for that) I believe my steering wheel/hand position was ok over the weekend.
Ross:uneasy:

Now Ross,

You shouldn't be listening to rumors! The rumor is partly correct in that one RF (to remain nameless) did go into the wall (not mine), hopefully damage is superficial front clip passenger headlight area only, but still upsetting, track was extremely wet with cars going off everywhere.

Photo below shows me try hard to hit something. my efforts were noted by being published on the cover of the Nissan Owners Magazine

Andrew

Attachments

• Sandown MSCA Sprint - 22 June 2008 340 - 1.jpg
    Sandown MSCA Sprint - 22 June 2008 340 - 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Front Cover - Press Quality.pdf
    813.5 KB · Views: 285

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Andrew - looks like you owe the man with the Z car a pair of tires... Looks like he probably flat-spotted his fronts while trying to not collect you....

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Gee Andrew
I can see your heart pressing against the windscreen in that photo! Glad you made it out ok! Was the damaged 40 a yellow or silver one?
Also, regarding the Nissan Owner Mag front cover, is that sequence of photos in time order?

Ross, well done at Sandown, I'm just sorry that I couldn't get to the track this time to see you - even if it is only 5 minutes from my place!

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
Andrew - looks like you owe the man with the Z car a pair of tires... Looks like he probably flat-spotted his fronts while trying to not collect you....

No doubt, he's braking up hard but I notice not running much camber at all. Neat to see a RH drive Z, near and dear to my heart. Saw my first RH drive Z over at Donnington with Malcolm a few years ago, way cool.

Hi Guys,

Randy. The guy in the 240 was out of shape just prior to my car letting go, my ops just made life more interesting for him! Fortunately we run this series regularly through out the year and there is good sportsmanship amongst the drivers, all having our moments!
Bill,
Sorry to advise the damaged GT40 was Silver. not sure about the sequence.

Andrew

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I know how it goes Andrew - I was just givin' ya a friendly jab... One race in my ffr Challenge car I had a set of tires on the back that were just hideous (plenty of rubber left - just cycled out)... I had probably 5 tank slappers in one lap.. The other drivers around me just laid back and waited for me to take myself out.. Which I did.. Right after doing a little agricultural work ... I was out of spares - swapped the backs for the fronts and managed to finish the weekend..

So Ross - not to totally hijack your thread - how did the brake bias adjuster help you - were you able to get a happy medium so you could go into the corners a bit deeper?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Only got one race in the dry on Saturday Randy,but I was feeling the rears might be starting to lock before the fronts.I was in total control though and when it rained on Sunday I left the bias where it was and it proved pretty good.If I had got a sniff of front brake lock up I would have dialled up more rear bias in the wet though.I bought 1 new rear tyre off the Dunlop man and he offered me 2 rear slicks (about 1/2 worn) for $100 each. I looked in my wallet and then finally talked him down to $50 each.I don't know about you but 2nd hand tyres are only worth that.I feel good about that cause it partially makes up for my destruction of the 2 tyres by the rear roll bar.

Ross

Back