CAV fuel Cell

How does pick up work in fuel cell?
Have fuel injection and return line broke off upper 1/3 part of rubber nipple from fuel cell. It was the clamp that was to low on cone of short metal line that was tightened so tight it cut upper 1/3rd of the nip[ple off and pushed cone up and almost out of rubber nipple. Therefore return fuel from fuel injectipon filled the coffin the ballder is in and poured out of rockers onto ground. Replaced short metal line from fuel return line with a longer line into now shorter nipple. Now the fuel cell acts like out of fuel when 5/8th full. However fuel line to fuel pump is original one only the return line was changed and made longer. Could return line into nipple of fuel cell now be to long and hitting pick up lifting it up out of the fuel, Therefore if right fuel cell is less than 5/8ths full no fuel can be sucked into pump only air.
Do we need a new fuel cell?
Are right and left cells the same.
The CAV is #63.

I believe the pick up line in the cell is flexible, take the fuel line off of the tank and push a long Phillips screwdriver into the pick up and straighten it out.
Dave

That makes sense because when working on tank to tighten everything there would be pressure pushing down in the container as they removed the rear two bolts holding it up and may have bent the pick up line up
Mort

Pat

Supporter
If you still have enough nipple to clamp seal agaist the pickup rod, you should be OK. Careful though on pulling it out. You don't want to strip off the flexible tube at the end of the rod. My cell has a steel rod with a flexible tube at the end that lies flat at the bottom of the cell under the cell foam. You may have twisted it and now it's not on the bottom of the cell causing your pick up problem. If you think you pulled off the rubber pickup, tube, you can access it through the rear aluminum panel but the cell needs to come out of the car. (See picture). Hopefully you can fix it with a twist and realigning the pickup tube.

The cells differ from right to left based on the filler neck and fuel level sender placement. They can be refurbished. (I've had mind done at Floats and Fuel Cells in Memphis - no relation).

Getting the thing in and out is not much fun though. Shoot me a PM if you plan to remove it and I can give you some advice to protect the cell from damage upon reinstallation.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Fuel cell.JPG
    Fuel cell.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Back