Visit to Hitech in South Africa

Mike Pass

Supporter
As I am on holiday in South Africa and near Port Elizabeth I took the opportunity to visit the Hitech Automotive factory. We had a tour of the factory and were very impressed by the organisation, cleanliness and the very high standards that they uphold. The quality control and attention to detail were excellent. They had several chassis being welded together and there were several cars almost finished and ready to go. The paintwork section was very impressive and even the tiniest tiniest flaw would be spotted and redone. I also got the opportunity to meet Jimmy Price and his son Justin who were very friendly and extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the cars and their history. They also make three varieties of Cobra and the Noble. They had some superb alloy bodies for the Daytona Coupe which were a work of art. All in all a great way for a GT40 nut and petrolhead to spend a few hours. A very big thank you to everyone at Hitech who made us very welcome and took so much time to answer my endless questions.
Cheers
Mike
PS I want one!

Mike Pass

Supporter
Many apologies folks but they do not allow pics to be taken and as they were kind enough to allow a visit so I respected their wishes and kept the camera in my pocket. However if you are ever over there you will not be disappointed when you visit as the factory and all the people there are A1. I was very impressed at everything I saw. The cleanlinness, organisation and attention to detail is fantastic. Jimmy and Justin are real enthusiasts and their knowledge of the cars and their heritage is amazing. I was chatting about the Alan Mann car that Chris Melia took to the 2008 Le Mans Classic and they were telling me about the lengths they went to to get the exact shade of gold with the correct reflectivity was incredible as Alan Mann had mixed up his own shade of gold with added metal powder. They got it right in the end but it took a lot of effort. Very impressive.
P.S. I still want one.
Cheers
Mike

Back