Bob's RF40MKII #134

Finally I have some day shots to post of the car. Little bit of history first. The chassis was ordered in January 06 and was in my garage in March 06. All the work was done in my 2 car garage exept for the emmission testing and engine build. The emmission testing took almost six months to pass and the car has been registered since 3rd October 07. I have taken a more mordern approach and all comments are wellcome. I will do a history build starting with the chassis and working through. I won't write about every single rivet, but if you have a question, please ask.

The car has all the upgardes that are offered by RF including six pot AP Racing brakes, six point roll cage, custome seats, prograsive rate springs, AC ect. Underneath is completely flat incorperating ground effects and a rear diffuser. The engine is a 2001 Mustang Cobra turbocharged and intercooled motor producing approx 980+hp. The car weighs 1254kg wet including 95L of fuel, 14L of engine oil, 26L of engine coolant, 30 L of intercooler coolant, all turbo hardware and rollcage, AC, ect as is on the road. The interior is all polished aluminium with six point harness, Smiths guages, Lucas switches and close to original.

Attachments

• 563.JPG
    563.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 858
  • 555.JPG
    555.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 810
  • 558.JPG
    558.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 812
  • 561.JPG
    561.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 699
  • 560.JPG
    560.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 672
  • 562.JPG
    562.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 572.JPG
    572.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 632
  • 565.JPG
    565.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 823
  • 568.JPG
    568.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 896
  • 567.JPG
    567.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 794
  • 566.JPG
    566.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 742
Wow. There is an incredible amount of effort in that engine compartment alone, nice engineering. Who made the rims? Those Bridge-eh-stones look like hand cut slicks what model are they?

A very well done modern rendition of a GT40, congrats.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Looks awesome Bob!
Nothing like that on the road - THAT's for sure!

Congratulations and enjoy!

Bill H

What a great looking car. The attention to detail is obvious. Those wheels fit nice & tight under the fenders. You should be very proud of this build.

dale in okla

David Lowe

Lifetime Supporter
What can I say but WICKED Bob what a great professional looking job. How well does it handle with that amount of hp? I know what mine drives like with the EFI Mustang Cobra engine but yours must be something else. Well done
David

Wow! Bob,

I am sure you've got everyones attention now. absolutely stunning, a credit to you.

Can;t wait to see the rest of your build photos,

Regards,

Andrew E

One thing I forgot is to thank RF for all their support and help, Jim C for all his amasing creations and Tim Macay for his help.
Thanks for all your comments guys, I do take it on board.

Mesa: The wheels are custom made by ROH here in Aus. They're a nice light weight three piece wheel. The tires are Potenza RE55 measuring 295 35 18. They're a road legal tire. I had Advans A048 on the back but replaced they with the Bridgestone as they have a higher profile. Haven't done many k's with them and are still brand new so can't judge them yet. So far the Advans get the thumbs up, but time will tell.

Dlampe: Interior shots will follow. Interior is simple but effective.

David Lowe: I can't give you an honest answer on how it handles the full power. I've driven it hard @ 15psi of boost with the old tires and it was scary. The car handles it no worries and it drives straight. I need to tune the suspension a bit more and take the tires through a few heat cycles before I take it up to 19psi.

Ian Pretty: We achieved 736hp at the wheels on a DynoDynamics Dyno set on shootout mode. This was achieved on 21psi. We maxed out the injectors at this setting so the new maximum is set at 19psi giving us 693hp at the wheels. The 980hp figure was derived by allowing a 25% drivetrain loss. Here in Aus, our chassis dynos are programed to read actual wheel hp and not calculate flywheel hp.

I will post some shots of the interior and undercarrige and the I'll start the build from the beginning.

Amazing build Bob, you really put together one mean machine. Must be a hoot to drive, would love to see/hear a quick video on the road.

Sweet! Thanks for the pics-

Chris

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Bob
That is a fantastic looking car and obviously engineered to a high standard. With that sort of power I hope you are more interested in bragging rights than trying to demonstrate the cars capabilities.In my HP challenged car 350-400HP I was wheel spinning (in the wet) down the Sandown straight recently and thats with brand new wet tyres.The tyres you have on are known to have a limited life due to heat cycles, and when they have gone a bit hard their wet grip capability is hopeless, even though they appear to have a lot of tread remaining.Watch out for the car when it oversteers suddenly,after youv'e corrected you can easily run out tarmac and although I've only hit a tyre wall at Sandown due to this,it is much more dangerous on the road with many more things to hit.Because of the low driving position it is easy to underestimate how fast you are going. There was a lunchtime demonstration at the last race meeting and an excited Cobra owner gassed it up and hit the GMC bridge which rearranged the front of his beautiful car.He was last seen crying in the pits. Stay safe Mate.

Ross

Wow Ian, you should have pm'd me those details.

Ross: I agree with you on the tyres, so far I'm not that happy with them, but having said that, I haven't been able to get enough heat into them as yet to get them to work. I've still got the Advan's A048's and if need be I'll use them for the track. I don't want to go to full slicks as I'd like to drive to and from the track. As the car is set up now, I have full adjustment between 9psi and 19psi, so I can pick any boost between those two. Most of the time it's set on 9psi.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Bobski, what a brilliant job you have done !!

If you would like to PM me, we can swap contact details - there are quite a few of us here in Sydney who get together from time to time for a "social drive", & you would be more than welcome to join us.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

The chassis finally home and safe. I went to Melbourne and picked up the car 2 weeks before the gates closed. Boy am I glad I followed my gut feeling.
As soon as the car got it the garage, it was straight on stands, poped open a beer and started to wonder what have I gotten myself into.
The following day I read the instruction manual and started to skin the chassis. This process took about two weeks and the manual was reletively easy to follow. Here are a few pics.
Also a few pics of the car as it was picked up. As you can see, no time was wasted on packaging, just grab what I could and get out of there.

Attachments

• 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 622
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 576
  • 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 558
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg