Dash fitment

Hi Guys,
can anyone who's completed the dash fitment (RH drive preferably) on thier 40 kindly post a few detail pictures. Specifically the distance from the front of the dash to the spider.
The LH side of the dash is higher than the RH ?
Also, what size & type of bulb weather seal did you use.

Cheers,
Simon.

Fran, i do rtfm as it happens ;)
I was curious anout the distance to the spider...it seems quite big.

Attachments

• DSCF0716.jpg
    DSCF0716.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCF0711.jpg
    DSCF0711.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCF0713.jpg
    DSCF0713.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 437

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Simon,
I used something like this for the bulb seal at the front of the dash. I had it in stock, so don't know what the number was for sure, but looks the same from the image/dims.

ZX132565N

You won't be able to accurately asses the gap until you finish fitting the dash to the spider. (i.e. notching the sides in)

Thanks Rob, where the dash covers the door posts, what distance do you have from sill to the bottom of the dash ?

Attachments

• DSCF0717.jpg
    DSCF0717.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Hi Simon.

I also started the fitment of my RHD RCR dash in Australia. I also found the gap to the front window to be quite a lot. I ended up doing a bit of a dash comparison and the RCR RHD and LHD ones are very different (see http://claw.com.au/gt40_interior.html ). I swapped mine out for a different one but you should be able to add some material to it to get it closer to the base of the windscreen. I will post some images of my RHD dash possibly this weekend. I have had to correct its finish near the base of the windscreen/spider as well.

Chuck

Supporter
Simon:

Can't tell from the pics, but the side 'wings' should be flush against the chassis. I had to do some trimming of the lip on the edge of the fiberglass to make it fit flush. The leading edge of the dash then fits snugly under the spider. They go together like a hand in a glove, so something is amiss. Mine is left hand drive, but the general fit should be the same. There are detailed pics on my build blog.

If you would like some more pics let me know. I don't have the body on the chassis at the moment and could get some pics from different angles if that would help

Chuck

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Simon,
Ahhhh...... you found it. I spent 30 minutes looking for that post Sat night. Still don't know how to search for stuff ....

I have 4.0" from the bottom of my vertical legs to the tanks.

I had originally trimming the lip flush at the bottoms, so the vertical legs were mated tight to the dash pillars. With this, I almost didn't need the bulb seal in front of the dash (almost). But then I installed the full roll cage with dash bars. Due to this I had to pull the dash aft a little bit. Even with doing this, The bulb still fills the gap. It looks perfect (IMHO :). I like the look with the weatherstrip, as it dresses the seam between the two pieces.

Attachments

• P1120259.jpg
    P1120259.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 371
Thanks lads,

Chuck - believe the LH dash was moulded to the FRP spider. The RHD was taken from and original mated against with the steel roofed spider so hence the gap. Jasons' pics show the diffences quite well.

Rob - i've got 4.5" from legs to tanks. Have to agree that your fit does look very good. The front of my dash may have been trimmed a bit short from the mould. I'll push and pull it around a bit more tonight, but i also have the rollbar so will be limited by this.

Simon

Thanks Andy, i can see what you've done there.
I'm going to try and find the biggest weather seal i can to fill the gap, else i'll have to go with your solution.

Simon.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
For weather seals try COH Baines

Loads of different sizes that they make and will normally cut to length required

Ian

As I understand it, the LH drive dash legs go all the way down to the tanks but the RH drive dash legs are shorter. I think that is how the original cars where, but I can't say for sure.

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
Hi dean,
are you taking the GT40 out at the run and gun this year?

be great to see a Superlite Coupe also out :thumbsup:

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Yes,
It is how the originals were....

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 363

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Simon,

I have a RHD model as well, and there is a significant gap. While I don't remember the exact measurement between the tank and bottom of the dash leg, what we did was bend up and powdercoat some aluminum to fill that gap and cover the tank filler necks at both sides of the dash. It worked like a charm.

As a plus, we installed some of the heater/air conditioning controls in the filler panel on the drivers side. Close to the hands yet nearly invisible to the eye.

Hope this helps,

T.

Attachments

• Heater Controls  1.JPG
    Heater Controls 1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 329
Thanks T, the gap i was concerned about was between the front of the dash and the spider. I wanted to know the leg/tank distance top make sure i was mounting the dash high enough.
Nice work there - looks similar to Bills set up..or did you come up with it 1st ?

Back