CAV Fuel cell if car fuel injected

I have discovered both the return fuel nipples to be cracked and fuel leaking into the fuel cell chambers on both tanks from the return line of the fuel injection. This is because fuel return lines were not completely in the cells and the clamps were on the cones and were cutting the fuel cell nipples in half. The right side nipple was completely cut in half and the left three quarters when we discovered the problem on that side as well. In a carburated vehicle these lines are not used.
We are also going to make it a split system with the each side having its own fuel pump and filter and return lines by using a splitter. There is no way to equalize the fuel between the two fuel cells,. If one cell runs dry presently the car is dead in the water.
I am also going to place an automatic Halon system to shoot Halon into each fuel cell chamber should a fire ever occur.
I suggest anyone with this set up and fuel cells to remove the battery on the right and the access plate on the left and check the nipples for this problem. I only smelled fuel once on the left side. The right side was a constant fuel odor when we first discovered the problem.
Mort

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Mort,

Can you post some pics of the damaged tank fittings? We stock fuel cells if yours are not repairable.

CAV Canada has done CAVs with 8 stack EFI systems with the fuel plumbing, returns and tank selection all sorted out. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Something else from the skunkworks here are Nitrile Gaskets to replace the cork gaskets on the top of the fuel cells, a new end plate system that eliminates the top ports and provides for intank fuel pumps, plus servicability through the rear compartments (so you don't have to take out the tanks). They can be set up for a balance pipe for single filler neck applications too.

So please feel free to call on the no charge tech line for a chat. Whatever you need chances are I've got it or been there and done that!

Cheers

Attachments

• NitrileGasketsTopPlate.jpg
    NitrileGasketsTopPlate.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 321
  • FuelCellEndPlate1.jpg
    FuelCellEndPlate1.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 298
  • FuelCellEndPlate2.jpg
    FuelCellEndPlate2.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 356

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Mort,

It was a pleasure chatting with you and your mechanic. Glad to be able to help out, I'm sure you'll have it sorted shortly.

Cheers

Ian,
Thanks for speaking with Lloyd and helping us make the best decision for the use we want out of the car. Once have car sorted will be in touch on upgrades.
Mort

Back