Competition version of SL-C

Fran, (this has been requested before but) are there any plans or ideas for an RCR "in-house" track specific/competition version of the SL-c that resembles something more in the vein of a factory LMS car (something along the lines of private customer comp. car like the Aston DBRS9, Porsche RSR, Etc.) for we customers who want a more dedicated race/track platform?

There is a "track" version available. Also called the "bare bones" version. It should be listed on the website.

Clear on the "bare" package :uneasy: . We are asking about the possibility of a more on-track performance dedicated platform :huh: . To use the compare again, something as follows:

Aston DB9 road car vs. Aston DBRS9 customer race car
Porsche 911 Gt3rs vs. Porsche 911 GtRSR customer race car
Ferrari Enzo vs. Ferrari Fxx
Maserati MC12 vs. Maserati MC12 Corsa

This difference in the version is what we are looking for:

RCR SL-C road car vs. RCR SL-C "R" customer race car

Not just a removal of the unnecessary comfort bits, but a completely engineered package dedicated to a higher level of performance from the machine on track out of the box from the factory with attention/improvement to everything from the chassis to any possible body/aero issues :idea: . A hard core circuit performance flagship SL-C if you will :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have a tough time seeing that happening. I have already gone back and forth with Fran about this. When I mentioned the areas that I thought were not optimized for performance, and what I thought should be done(I do have quite a bit of experience in the racing field) he pretty much said "NO" and then proceeded to pretty much say that knowing that I would want to cange things he wouldn't even sell me a kit. Think it's pretty much an all or nothing thing with it the way it is, but who knows, maybe I just rubbed him the wrong way and you will have better luck.

You can pretty much see the debate, in all it's glory, on this seven page thread.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-rcr70-p4-mkiv/25572-no-sl-c-components.html

You must understand that I was in NO WAY suggesting he change his design for customers, but rather I just wanted to know if I could buy some of the stuff without buying ALL of it and the "improvements" would have been for my build only. Answer "NO". I even offered to let him assemble the thing with my improvements so he knew it was done right. "NO".

So I pretty much feel I know where you are coming from, and am pretty sure of the answer.

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
its a race car on the road anyway.

swap to race suspension set, geo and add slicks on a friday night
there ya go RSL-C (RACE SUPERLITE COUPE)
(for added 10ths take out cupholders and add some more carbon bits)

then sunday put back pilots, road suspension set and geo
back to the road SL-C for midweek

2 cars in one, no?

Last edited:
We kinda figured as much Craig :pleased: (and didn't think Mr. Hall would put out something that could use massive improvement) but were wondering if there were areas that could be tweaked to harden the package like the previously mentioned companies had done with their respective products. I don't see much room for betterment on the surface of the matter (not a professional though) and only wonder if anything could be gained through modification or improvement to build a faster, stronger, circuit born and dedicated Sl-c that wouldn't be out of place on the Gt2 grid at ALMS. :helmet:

The better question is probably will the SLC be offered as a road car.

Let me explain.

Look at the Ferrari 360 vs 360 Challenge (or even the stradale)
Look at the GT3 vs the RSR
Or the Vantage vs the R version (I think it is Europe only).

Typically, the differences are: more adjustable suspension, removal of all sound deadening and carpets, no radio (or possibly AC), replace glass with plexy, add roll cage, harness, fire suppression, etc.

As is, the SLC is much more like the track versions than the road versions of the cars you mentioned. Full aero, fully adjustable suspension, full cage, fuel cell, data, fire, etc. No frills unless you go the extra step to add them in. Depending on the motor and tranny choice, I think the SLC has more in common with a Daytona Prototype than a 911 turbo.

If you really want to race it, I think you want a sequential dog box and a built motor, probably very high end dampers. Not much else needs to be done IMO.

There's that and the fact that, as far as I know, to get a car to be "homoligated" and able to be "on the grid" of an ALMS race in GT classes, there has to be a certain number of production cars buit for street use by the production company. That means finished products registerable for the street built by RCR. Just don't think that's gonna happen.

Craig Gillingham

as and when initial SL-Cs hit a circuit asap we may find out where/if tweaks can be made and actually if they need improvements to be made faster.
i am sure fran will intergrate any tweak points as standard and if its warranted

The radical is still much faster than me even in its low 185bhp form. A guy i know went 205bhp hayabusa fuel injected, areo pack, front dives the works...great on paper but ended up going slower for 12 months around the same circuits

A guy i know went 205bhp hayabusa fuel injected, areo pack, front dives the works...great on paper but ended up going slower for 12 months around the same circuits

There is also one critical element that most people just don't want to believe is not functioning as good as it should......the nut behind the wheel. As you so humbly state with your ride, he may have had a much faster vehicle, just didn't know how to use it to it's potential.

Craig Gillingham

very very true crash....

the other thing was that the car now owed him alot more money which made the difference in where he braked and how hard he hit the apex and exit.
When your self financed this also comes into play.

With the Superkarts that i also race....it isnt the fact of a £5000 kart its the thought of the 3 fellow colleagues that have been killed in the UK over the last 3 years.

Karts are amazing. I was on the IKF circuit when I was younger. Much younger. Can't believe how fast thos direct drive karts have gotten.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I would much rather drive a 500hp car to 100% of its and my capability , than a 1000hp car to 50% of its capabilty.
Getting the power to weight ratio and the balance of the car to suit your driving style is far more important.
There is always room for improvement in everything we do in life and cars are no different....
I am looking forward to seeing what the Superlite customers do with their cars and I will certainly take on board constructive words of wisdom....
My pals GT2 Ford GT shares next to nothing with the street car and neither did his previous Panoz...there are ways to get cars on the grid....and all it takes is MONEY.

The SL-C is already lighter than a DP car and has more power....

A true track only car will be totally unstreetable...the ground clearance for the track would not very far on the road....

Last edited:

Craig Gillingham

Karts are amazing. I was on the IKF circuit when I was younger. Much younger. Can't believe how fast thos direct drive karts have gotten.

i race long circuit Superkarts as per wayne rainey, kevin swantchz, eddie lawson in USA. Gearbox 170mph 1" off ground mental as fuck world outright lap record holding superkarts. I held lap record at Oulton park and darley in superstocks for a while :tongue3:
Superkarts are outright lap record holder at cadwell park at 1min22secs taken at superkart Grandprix in July2008 from V8 radical (again)

makes the radical seem like a horse and kart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6H2HvsiTjo&feature=related

Fran has anyone discussed the idea of a sequential gearbox with you for a track only application like we are talking about? If so which one should we be looking at (linked to an LS7)? Also we are looking to do just that, create a totally unstreetable track dedicated "racing" SL-c ( "4" of them in point of fact ). Got our own track South of Cincinnati and a Semi to move them so it works :2thumbsup:. Thats why we have been so keen on the test numbers to come out.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I was in touch with Wanni this week as a matter of fact for a twin turbo Saleen S7 customer we have...
His T906S box is looking like as very viable package for that 900 plus hp application.

What kind of power are you looking at.....

Nothing fancy just the regular out of the box 500 bhp. Ls7 ought to do nicely shouldn't it (unless you have a better idea)? What would the est. weight of the car be stripped out (to give an idea of power to weight)? Mosler and Spyker are running the Hewland NLT. Recomended safe torque on the box is 500 lb.ft. Package is at a price tag of around $30K US.

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Jeremy,
you would be looking at a approx 4.2lbs per HP. with a bone stock LS7 and nothing trick about the SL-C.
Carbon Body, carbon wheels etc etc...no passenger refinements...I think we could easily get the weight under 2000lbs.

Back