2008 Zippo US Vintage Grand Prix at the Glen

I'm going and shall attempt a race report. It might not be on par with Ross' race reports,
but I am armed with a camera and a camcorder. It is the F5000 season finale and the Lola 50th celebration. We are bringing two cars and hoping that at least one is still running by Sunday. We have fashioned a 2 car trailer out of a 26'-0 box trailer. Sort of a poor man's stacker.

Attachments

• Zippo Vintage Grand Prix 210 (Small).jpg
    Zippo Vintage Grand Prix 210 (Small).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 340
As is typical of an amature club race weekend, things start to get fouled up immediately.
As we loaded the Lola T70 MK III b I noticed gear oil seeping out of the front of the tranxaxle. A seal has failed and we will have to take a different car at the last moment. We are now taking the "Schkee", which was built by Doug Schultz and Bob McKee out of a Lola T332(c). This car ran in the Can Am II series from 1977-1981.

Attachments

• vintage-2005-ra-rs-0255[1].jpg
    vintage-2005-ra-rs-0255[1].jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 306
  • T332HU55Schkee-2003-800x430.jpg
    T332HU55Schkee-2003-800x430.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 2schkees.jpg
    2schkees.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 301
Chris, there is not a class for the 962 at the Zippo and it is a Lola feature weekend...
so this is to be a race weekend for the Gurney T70 as well. The T70 will run in group 5 and the Schkee will run in group 7. I am shooting for mid pack in either group. The Gurney car is a bit fragile and I am as well.

Attachments

• Zippo Vintage Grand Prix 143.jpg
    Zippo Vintage Grand Prix 143.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 306
Tim, that is really nice. We have to really pack it in. Spare tires, noses etc.
Do you have a tag axle on your bus ? I do not think I can deal with the height of your trailer as I drag it through the trees in my yard. We move it with an old Air Force Magna Tractor. The tractor has a magnet on it for clearing mines off of runways. I got it with only 7 hours on it because nobody wanted to use it I guess. The battery is dead so we are delayed 2 hours to get a new one and install it.
My kids decorated out pit cart as a surprise, Gos Love 'em...

Attachments

• Lola going back together 001 (Small).jpg
    Lola going back together 001 (Small).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 317
  • Lola going back together 004.jpg
    Lola going back together 004.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 334
Last edited by a moderator:
Johan,

I'll see you there. I'm bringing my 550 spyder up this year to participate in one of the winery rallies friday.Are you planning on running the Gurney t70 in the reanactment race through the town again?

Great, I'll see you there. I had a flat last year in the coupe and had to sit it out at a bar, and will try again this year. Lola is sending over one of the new T70 continuation spyders . Chuck Beck should be there as well.

Back