Kinsler/Lucas mechanical fuel injection

Hi all,

having followed the discussion about Mark´s ZL1 block with much interest, there´s one question which is quite important to me: Are there any specific engine- or engine block-requirements for accomodating a BBC Lucas/Kinsler mechanical fuel injection set up?
Many thanks in advance to all you experts, any info is highly appreciated.

Best,

Marcus

Last edited:
...in other words: Does the metering unit´s driveshaft just easily slip into where the distributor shaft used to be?

Marcus, the pics I have of the twin turbo version built by Crower show the two Lucas metering units driven off a right angle drive on the distributor/magneto housing which fits in the block as per normal. There is very little load in driving the metering units as they simply rotate the sleeve within the pump body.

Jac Mac,

many thanks for your info. As you can imagine, that´s what I´ve been hoping for.

But, on a broader scale, it would also be very interesting to know if there are any
others on the Forum having experience with Lucas/Kinsler mechanical injection.
What are common problems to be known? How difficult will it be to set it up?
Any other things worth to be known?

Sorry for these newbie-type questions but I´m a complete lay in these things.

Best,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

You may have already seen this site but I have put a link up anyway.

Constant Flow Nozzles - Kinsler Fuel Injection

Constant flow systems like these are adapted from aircraft piston engines, as such they really work best at continued high power settings.

I'm not so sure you would like this setup for any type of street driving.

Kinslers EFI setup would probably run better for the street.

Or you could use an old set of stacks /throttle bodies and convert them to EFI on your own.

I also have have attached a link below to a pdf file with two good schematics of how constant flow systems operate, see page 35 and 36. The rest of the info will be useless to you.

http://www.lancair.com/Main/pdf_documents/SID97_3B.pdf

But if you are going to only use your T70 replica on the track only go for it:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Scott

Beware of rotten magnesium when shopping for manifolds...

Woah...not sure if the mechanical BBC system I´ve now almost paid in full has got a magnesium manifold.
But it´s looking good on the pics.
It consists of the Kinsler manifold, the trumpets, the metering unit/distributor and the belt-driven Cosworth fuel pump.

Scott, many thanks, will look at the links in greater detail. Here´s another one I found:
LUCAS Mk1 and Mk2 FUEL / PETROL INJECTION home page.

Nick Smith has some nice units for sale..., perhaps give him a try. The water jackets corrode . Very common problem. You will also need an electric "start" pump that is switched off after starting the engine.

Nick Smith has some nice units for sale..., perhaps give him a try. The water jackets corrode . Very common problem. You will also need an electric "start" pump that is switched off after starting the engine.

Johan, I have bought one of Nick´s injection systems...

Back