I think that was Mr Bridger's car on Pistonheads...

A very nice piece of equipment indeed, although a little on the pricey side! But knowing what 'real' ones go for... I am sure someone will do a deal!

I think he is looking for a 911 GT1, amongst other things!

I really thought this thread was going to be about you building a 962 :(

See Fran, all the potential P962 customers come out of the woodwork when it gets mentioned! ;)

I think that French site needs me to join, so I might do that tonight... My French is pretty good but a touch rusty, so I guess I will probably translate it online and look at the piccy's!

Can you cross post any here Thierry?

Chris, I think I must be missing the P962 stuff on that link... Or is it not there, but you know that they are doing something?

The 928 GTS engine is meant to be very good, but held back by the cams etc Apparently if you do a bit of head work and swap the cams for the GT items and maybe the exhaust headers etc you get 450bhp by all accounts... It would be nice to use a Porsche engine in a P-Car that didn't cost the Earth, like the powerful 911 engines.

Why do I wish that we weren't having this credit crunch right now... I want a new toy! I will have to live vicariously through Craig until this economic cluster f*ck blows over!

I hope this copy/past will work.....
It's in french, but pictures don't need to be translated...

Message original : jack31
Bon, ok, qq photos.
Les élémentes de carrosserie tels que reçus :

les mêmes, après ponçage et aprêt :

Grâce au plan et diverses aides, nous avons commencé le chassis monocque. Ici juste un pré assemblage :

les moyeux.... magnifiques (pour moi du moins)...

J'en ajouterai avec qq détails techniques.
Bon ça vous va pour le moment ?
jack31
[Edite le 4-9-2008 par jack31]

Sweet - Thanks Thierry!

That looks very nice.

Has Derek supplied all the parts? i guess it is the car he mentioned to me earlier in the year!?

Sweet - Thanks Thierry!

That looks very nice.

Has Derek supplied all the parts? i guess it is the car he mentioned to me earlier in the year!?

Yes, many parts are supplied by Derek not all....
- complete bodywork
- monocoque pattern
- 4 front hubs

I think Jacques has done the easyest part of the work.....
now he has to think about rear tube frame, front and rear suspension design, engine and gearbox installation....a lot of work !!!!

I've gave a lot of informations to Jacques for this project, I'm still thinking it's too heavy job for a simple man like me....(i'm not a mechanic and I've not enough money to afford someone to do the job.... jacques can)

But do you have enough money to have RCR build you one......is the real question....:thumbsup:

and the next "real question" is how much is the ballpark figure for RCR build one??:thumbsup: just wondering....and Casey still hasn't called me twice everyday yet........

But do you have enough money to have RCR build you one......is the real question....:thumbsup:

I'm thinking about it.....:shy:
I just have to sold my wife, my house and my 2 sons.....:cry:

....more seriously....exit my 993, a new job (still discussing)....and you will get a deposit....

Thierry...go on ...you know you will never forgive yourself if you dont...

I would say ballpark would be in the same range as all the rest of the RCR product line...42-45k ish

Chris,

Don't know about the S. African one, however in the late 80's it was clear to Porsche and those racing the 962 that it needed a new engine to compete with the Jaguars & Saubers. A mockup of a twin turbo 928 V8 installation was put together by the Kremer brothers but Helmut Bott (?)couldn't get the budget to develop it fully as Porsche management had got interested in Indy. The real shame of it was that the V8 installation would have reversed the downforce deficit the 962 had by then as well as providing scope for restoring the balance of power.

This was detailed in Gavin Morgan's book. A very good read and an excellent followup to his 917 book, though I thought it lacked a little something - probably appropriate since the 962 was surpassed for the lack of a little development....

If I were to go down this road, given what was conceptualised, I feel the V8 would be within the spirit of the original. That TT lexus/Ricardo combo would be just the thing. I'd probably still prefer a P4 though....

Me, Me, Me!!!! Please sir, please can we have one! :thumbsup:

Dollar is strengthening now and my buddies 'in the know' seem to think it will keep going that way, which isn't great (for us)... But, I reckon I should have the cash by Q1 2010 for a new toy, if Thierry would like to order one in the meantime and 'check' the build process etc for me, I would appreciate it! :idea:

Go on Fran, you KNOW you want to build one on the SL-C chassis! :laugh:

Although, I could give Nick Dames my 911 and ask him to turn it into a GT1 for me, if he would be so kind... I guess that would cost me a fair bit more though! :cry:

Freewheel, that is interesting about the V8-TT engine. As I understood it, the flat 6 was too wide for effective venturi tunnels and the v-engined cars were therefore at an instant aero advantage. I can't help but feel the 962 suspension was also a little lacking compared to the later Jags etc... It's a shame they didn't develop them further really!

Dom,

The 962's existing aerodynamics had shown the limitations of the standard sheet aluminium chassis, which became known as the "flexible flyer". Richard Lloyd, Kremer and others produced a variety of aluminium honeycomb, carbon fibre and otherwise modified chassis - Al Holbert installed a front bulkhead that improved the tortional stiffness of the standard chassis by about 100%.

Incidentally the weakness of the standard chassis in severe frontal impact was shown by Jonathon Palmer at Spa, who crashed Richard Lloyd's honeycomb chassis at Blanchimont. He escaped with minor injuries, although he apparently wound up with the steering column a centimetre or so from his nose. :shocked:

The manufacturing method was a big factor here, combined with the fact that the 956 was the first ever monocoque racing porsche - everything else produced by Porsche had been a spaceframe, right up to the 936.

What does this mean for Fran? Well he chooses aluminium of substantially greater thickness and welds it, rather than rivetting, bonding with double sided tape and baking. The chassis should therefore be well and truly capable of handling the additional downforce - can you? In the early 80's the rules didn't have any requirements for manufacturing methods, crash testing, even roll cage material. Strange days indeed....

If you check many of the original spec vintage cars they had no cage at all....

Original T70's had a very thin sheetmetal foot that attached a roll hoop to the sponson but it would have crumpled in a stiff breeze....building in lightness came at the price of safety....

Interesting stuff chaps... I have always been amazed at just how light some of these cars were... I don't think I would like to crash an original 956 - Have you seen where you feet are!

Back