SPF MKI #2214 build

Hi, the CAV is on the way to GT40 heaven and I have recovered enough from my accident to start the build on it's replacement, #2214.
I will be using the 347 and the RBT from the CAV but will be making some changes.
The Superformance allows the use of an original type GT40 Bellhousing (w/ mounts on the bottom) and a smaller flywheel and 2 disc clutch.
The weight of the entire flywheel and clutch weighs 26 lbs which is the weight of just the flywheel alone in my current package. This is available from Safir.
I may not be able to use my Mezier electric water pump but until the engine is in the car I won't know.
Also the CAV was a rod shift and the SPF is cable.
I have benefitted from this forum already as I have found my speedo cable jammed into the speedo and unmoveable at the trans, it would have failed immediately.
I have also been in contact with Dennis Olthoff and have ordered, upgrades for the rear cabin window, shifter, motor mounts and a speedo reduction adapter ( I have a 4.22 rear drive SPF is set up for 3.7).
There are many differences between the 2 cars and I am anxious to get this thing together and down the road.
Dave

Attachments

• PICT1772.JPG
    PICT1772.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 931
  • PICT1773.JPG
    PICT1773.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 624
  • PICT1774.JPG
    PICT1774.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 544
  • PICT1775.JPG
    PICT1775.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 555
  • PICT1776.JPG
    PICT1776.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 658
  • PICT1777.JPG
    PICT1777.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 530
  • PICT1778.JPG
    PICT1778.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 585

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
David you can use the Mezier pump but you may have to massage the area in the panel where the water pump pulleys go just a little. I have the 55 GPM on mine but wish I would have put solid motor mounts, during hammer down acceleration it will hit the area where it protrudes in the panel. I do recommend to use a bypass thermostat located up front behind the radiator, this will do away with all your cooling problems. I have 427 with bypass thermostat and have driven the car in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes with heat index over 100 and never over headed but my wife and I almost melted. The bypass thermostat eliminates the thermostat in the block and does away with the little hose between the manifold and the pump. My best friend told me about this system many years ago and its worked on ever car I have built perfect. I also recommend to plumb the radiator so the hot water goes into the top not the bottom like SPF wants you to do it. They have it backward in my opinion. As for the clutch I use McLeod lighten flywheel and twin disk with internal hydraulic throw out bearing. I use the bell housing Dennis sells. It fit together very well. I also got tired of messing with the speedo so I bought a 4 inch programmable and took out the other one. Good luck and if I can help give me a shout. You will be happy with the new rear window. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9116.jpg
    IMG_9116.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_9054.jpg
    IMG_9054.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_9094.jpg
    IMG_9094.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 518
While not a traditional GT40 color, you car will be a real head turner. I have a friend that has a Gallardo in that color and it is absolutely stunning. Good luck with your build and welcome to the SPF fraternity.

David I'm glad your OK. Your CAV looked like it held up pretty good considering the crash ? I'll take a stainlees steel Mono over a kit space frame any day ! I have the new BDR GT which is made br CAV for Backdraft. Good luck with your new GT.

Rick

I am waiting for the parts from Safir and Olthoff but have been working on the car.
This forum has been a big help as I have addressed the speedo cable issue faced by others.
I found that the cable could not be turned and if I had hooked it up it would have failed immediately. I contacted North Hollywood Speedo and purchased the Stewart Warner 90 degree adapter and installed it on the speedo and then tried to turn the cabl;e.
It was still locked up!
The shaft in the adapter is about 1/16" too long and binds up the speedo. I removed everything again and removed a little fronm the end of the shaft and now everything works very nicely.
This might be why some of you experienced cable problems after installing the adapter.
Today I am installing the fuel pump behind the LH fuel tank and the MSD box onto the battery cover on the R/side, The oil cooler on the SPF is normally on the battery box but I am moving it over to the left side where it should be.
I wil also start sealing up the holes in the firewall and the front and install some Dynamat.
The exhaust (for 302) has to come from High Tech and that will take about 2 months.
I have the exhaust for the 351 and I will place an ad in the parts for sale later.
Dave

Dave,

Moving the oil cooler is a great idea. I moved mine too, makes the oil cooler lines alot shorter. Here is how mine turned out.

John

Attachments

• IMG_34022.jpg
    IMG_34022.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:
I am making progress, I have installed the thicker rear window and a few other things but I am still waiting for the Safir bellhousing and flywheel/clutch setup. Once that arrives the engine and gearbox will be in and I will be close.
The exhaust is coming from Hitech but I don't have a delivery time yet.
Should be able to post some photos of real progress next week.
Dave

David, how do you think the CAV held up in the accident? Looks like the sill tanks took a good hit - any leaking fuel? How fast were you going upon impact? I've had some concern about safety of my CAV (ss mono) given that it doesn't have bumpers, airbags, side impact protection and potentially exploding fuel tanks.....

Great to see you're enjoying your new car - looks stunning.

Hi Cliff, the fuel tanks were full, the right sponson was collapsed and bent but the fuel cells worked as advertised, no leaks.
I think that we were going 45-50 when we hit the tree.
The damage to the chassis was pretty severe but I don't know if it would have been better if the chassis was stronger, more of the shock may have been absorbed by us rather than the car.
You are right to be concerned, none of these cars (any replica or real GT40) should be thought of as safe to drive as a modern car.
IMHO, Dave

Hi David, wow, that's pretty fast. Really wonderful you two are doing fine. That kind of speed would have completely crushed the cabin of a lot of cars (not a good thing). It looks like a lot of the impact was absorbed and spread throughout the chassis without the cabin collapsing - that's a very good thing. Take a look at some of the frontal crash test vids on YouTube where the cabin collapses and thereby injures the driver/passenger and it's pretty obvious how important this is. On second thought, maybe skip that, it being so soon after your accident.....

One question, do you know if the CAV fuel tanks have rubber fuel cells installed? My car is mono #6 and I'm assuming it doesn't have rubber fuel cells but I'd love to be wrong and find out it does!

Cliff, I have the new BDR GT built by CAV/Auto Futura and it has the race fuel cells. Auto Futura took over CAV around car # 100. I had also looked @ used pre A/F CAV and that did also have the race fuel cells? I think it is a standard CAV feature with the stainless Mono. Just check your inspection plate on the door sill to see. Some of the kit GT's have aluminum fuel tanks and that is pretty scary ? David is right and I drive my Cobra & the GT like I'm on the motorcycle & watchout for everyone !

I have finally made some good progress.
I received the Safir Bellhousing and clutch/flywheel assembly friday and managed to get the engine and trans in the chassis today.
I had to trim the ears on the bellhousing and some offset bushings will have to be made up (for the frame mounts), just as Dennis Oltoff had warned me about.
It was not difficult, I don't have a mill but I do have a 3 axis Makita and that trimmed the ears just fine.
I can now work on installing the ancillarys and finish up the wiring,
I am still awaiting the exhaust header pipes but hopefull they will be here this month.
Dave

Attachments

• PICT1824.JPG
    PICT1824.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 505
  • PICT1823.JPG
    PICT1823.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 412
  • PICT1822.JPG
    PICT1822.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 449
  • PICT1821.JPG
    PICT1821.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 417

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Dave, I used a time off relay (stays on for x seconds or minutes after ignition is turned off) for my electric water pump, this takes the hot water from the engine and cools it through the radiator to take heat soak out of the engine compartment. I also used the SPF provided wire for the electric radiator fans and control them with a engine mounted thermostatic switch. If your using the cable shifter brackets that SPF provided you will have to cut and modify them, if they were on your old car then they might work OK. Are you going with EFI? Glad you are getting it put together and your doing OK with your injury's. One other thing, don't forget that pedal stop for the internal hydraulic throw out bearing, they are easy to make.

Hi Jack, Oltoff provided some different hardware for the shifter but if that doesn't work well I will go with a setup from CNC Productions, Larry makes an awesome shifter and trans adapter/bracket.
Good idea about the timer on the electric pump, I think that I will do that.
I have webers not injection so my fuel system is pretty simple.
I did install an injected Roush motor into a CAV and I have to confess that it would be a lot simpler to do on the SPF because the 2 tanks are connected.
Thanks, Dave

I'm a little confused on the speedo gear. I thought the RBT gear was for a 4.22 diff. Doesn't the 3.77 diff need the Olthoff adapter?

SPF are set up for 351 based motors and the recommended gear is the 3.77.
Interesting note on my car, the shifter cables are installed wrong and I will need to reverse them at the shifter.
I do have the clutch and speedo hooked up and after this weekend I should have everything but the exhaust on the car.
Dave

Time for me to update my build page and post some gratuitous weiner dog pictures, it seems that most of my time is taken up doing things that can't be done and the rest of my time is devoted to things that shouldn't be done.
I have made good progress, I had to modify the AC bracket, I did not like the little idler adjuster and now the bracket just pivots on the lower bolt and swings the compressor out and tightens the belt.
The electrical system is close, I have to finish the brackets for the alternator and wire it and the relay for the water pump and that will be done.
Carbs are on, throttle linkage is done, need to make up the fuel line and filter, and a new heat shield box.
The tube for the water temp gauge is too short and I am not sure what SPF had in mind with the compressor hoses, I will redo them at a later date.
Oil cooler is mounted on the left side and I just need the -12 fittings and lines to connect that.
I did not use the SPF oil cooler adapter, I had a billet adapter that allows me to put a short oil filter on the engine.
The MSD ignition is mounted on the battery box lid.
The biggest problem I have is with the Danny Bee belt drive, they used a timing cover from a 94-95 5.0 and there don't appear to be any good water pump options for this car.
I would not do the belt drive again, it has caused more problems than any other component.
My Mezier water pump is too long (different from the pump used on most 302's) and I am going to a remote pump which will sit behind the front seat.
So far I have not taken action on that item, I am still pondering the setup, it will not be elegant and I am not happy about that.
The Safir bellousing fit pretty well and will help make the car more responsive (I think).
Anyway, I think that I will be ready before the exhaust shows up.
Dave

Attachments

• PICT1853.JPG
    PICT1853.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 427
  • PICT1854.JPG
    PICT1854.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 414
  • PICT1855.JPG
    PICT1855.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 455
  • PICT1856.JPG
    PICT1856.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 407
  • PICT1857.JPG
    PICT1857.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 445
  • PICT1842.JPG
    PICT1842.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 408

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
David I had to cut 1 foot of the AC lines so they didn't get in the way, also I had to use a body hammer and lead bag to massage the area where the electric motor fits in the cover. I think that the 35 gpm pump is .5 inch shorter, I wish I would have gone with the 35 now in place of the 55 gpm I have. Check to see if that capillary tube is not bound up, its pretty long, I changed all my gauges out and when removing the oil and water temp the lines where wrapped up under the dash. If you need another gauge let me know.

Back