Ross racing at Phillip Island 18th/19th October

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes I was at it again last weekend at Phillip Island. Nice weather but small grid only 7 runners in the final 2 races.
The lead up to the weekend was frantic with even more factory changes which left only one day to service the car, boy that was close but make it I did. I arrived at the circuit after the hour plus drive and set up in the paddock (no garage this weekend). Remnants of the setup for the bike Grand Prix, grandstand seating and extra toilets still not removed. Yes this is the track where Casey and Valentino were going at it a couple of weeks ago. The only worry I had was the 2nd gear synchro I hadn't changed, it proved not to be a problem.
Off to the office to do the paper work and only have to take my apparel to be checked by scrutineers.The car is under the targetted scrutiny scheme and gets the once over every 3rd or fourth meeting.Arrive at the pre grid for Qualifying and was surprised to see so few cars.The entry list had shown quite a lot more numbers.I found our later 2 cars were tied up by business failure and the Daytona during friday practice had consumed 2 rocker lock nuts, as for the other Missing cars I didn't find out what became of them.
So we made our way out all 9 of us and it wasn't long before I had a light blue P.....car making himself very wide in front of me and hampering my laptimes, so I wasn't surprised when I read his name on the side window one of my old sparring partners Garth Rainsbury. Anyway I got passed him and he got smaller in my rear vision mirrors just like a good P.... should. The 40 felt good and I was pushing on quite well.I did all the laps available until the chequered flag. I like to get as many practise laps in as I can and just rely on one of them to be a reasonable time.
Onto the afternoon first race and boy the sun had come out and it was hot! Garth had chucked in the towel (for mechanical reasons or maybe I scared him off) so we were down to 8 runners. I was 2nd last in front of the MGBV8 but actually had qualified with a 1min 48sec lap. It wasn't long before I had to settle for 6th place in front of one P...Gt3 and the MGB.
Sunday morning and the weather had turned a little. No real rain and no need for wet tyres. Robin in the MGB was back in Melbourne solving a software problem (his job for ANZ bank) so we were down to 7 runners for the 2nd race. That cheeky P...... car that I had beaten in the 1st race was trying to take my 6th spot on the grid but I wasn't having any of it.Anyway I blitzed him off the line and never saw him again. It's odd but for the first couple of laps the cars remain bunched and I feel I can hang onto them but after these 2 laps they leave me behind with their superior power. The P..... in front of me was 4 secs a lap quicker so I didn't have much hope in staying with him, although I did try for a while.
The last race on Sunday Arvo followed the same pattern and I was happy I had set a 1 min 47sec lap time in race 2 which is only a second off my fastest lap when I had the powerful engine in.This is due to the superior handling the car has now but I wouldn't say it's perfect yet.I took tyre temps and dropped the pressures in the tyres on the heavily loaded side of the car for this track. That evened out the temps across the tread and I was pleased that worked.
That was the final round of the Championship and I am now preparing to take the car to NZ (South Island of course) to race in the Southern Festival Of Speed in February. 3 Race meetings on 3 consecutive weeks should be good. A lot to do between now and then though.Thankfully the factory shifting is nearly finished.Hope you enjoy the 3 photos.

Ross

Attachments

• IMG (640 x 480).jpg
    IMG (640 x 480).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0001 (640 x 480).jpg
    IMG_0001 (640 x 480).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0002 (640 x 480).jpg
    IMG_0002 (640 x 480).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 309

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Ross

Good to hear from you again. Wish we had your sunshine although this last weekend at Snetterton for our last race of the UK season we had good weather so really shouldn't grumble.

Your car is getting a patina looking at all the stone chips on the leading edge of the nose! Good stuff!

Maybe it is the angle of the photo but is your car rolling much? The outer wheel looks well cambered negatively to keep it flat but particularly in the middle picture you seem to have a good amount of roll (plus what looks like grass by the tow eye!) or am I deceived?

Hope your grids grow back. I wonder how many cars will disappear here as economic times take their toll?

Keep it up

Malcolm,

Was that you in the white MX5? I was watching at Russell when you had a huge tank slapper coming out of Coram - well held! It also looked like you and your co-driver were having fun with the big Jags, despite no straightline speed.

Ken
I spoke to Malc earlier and Yep was him! :laugh: He and Glen were not expecting to come anywhere so were 'having fun' to an extent and as video was installed - were jousting for the best drift..

Can't have done too bad as they ended up 3rd in class and 1st in class over the two events.

Ross
Great account as usual. Good to hear your handling is looking really good too. What sort of times do you think you'd manage with the more powerful engine? Was the Po5K3R in front pulling away only on the straights?

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Considering the lead V8 Supercar qualifying time on track this year was a very fast 1min 33sec and that they have $250k + engines with 700hp, your lap time is excellent Ross. Due to the nature of Phillip Island, it is fast and flowing so hp counts for a lot.
I bet you could knock at least 2 sec off your best with your old engine Ross, well done mate.

Bill

A bit of KIWI track time will do wonders for your car Ross, three weekends in a row to do some back to back fine tuning along with lots of free advice from Russ will have your car flying by the time you take it back to OZ. It will cost less to ship back home as well, after we nick all the bits we feel are surplus to requirements!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ross, as always your post is interesting and gives one a sense of "being there". I'm sure that if ever you give away the sound business you could make it as a journalist.
I agree with Bill, the island favours power with it's long straight and sweeping corners. So when does the big motor go in?
Have a great time in New Zealand it sounds like a fun couple of weeks.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
That was the final round of the Championship and I am now preparing to take the car to NZ (South Island of course) to race in the Southern Festival Of Speed in February. 3 Race meetings on 3 consecutive weeks should be good. A lot to do between now and then though.
Ross

Good to hear Ross.

Have you managed to resolve the entry/eligibility issues that came up? I'm looking forward to seeing your car in the flesh.

Cheers,

Russ

Hi Ross,great report as usual and good to hear you had a trouble free run.As I am in Christchurch I can't wait to see your car over here and I might get to scrutineer it at Ruapuna-will see.Cheers Leon

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Malc
No not grass by the tow eye just wires behind the mesh.I do have a problem with the blade cockpit adjust lever shifting to a softer position of it's own accord so that explains any excessive roll.The corners they take these photos at are the tight 2nd gear ones so they help when checking the cars handling.We are concerned about economic times and entries too.

Paul
I won't be happy until I've got the lap times down to a low 1min 40 sec at the Island.The P..... in front of me did pull a massive distance on the straight.

Bill
2 secs is not enough for me,I have to get my lap times down to run with the front guys.What I was pleased about is the fact I was doing 1min 48's
in practice/qualifying, in the past I would wallow in the 1min 50's and struggle to get down to a 48 during the races.

Jac Mac
My security gaurds have big guns

Pete
Thanks for your support I think it's too late for me to change my vocation though.Big motor should be back in next season I hope.

Russ
Yep entry/eligibility issues are all sorted.

Leon
Look forward to meeting you

Ross:thumbsup:

Back