Hello from SoCal

Greetings to all -
I have been lurking on this site for a while and finally decided it was time to join the group.

I am not an owner(except in my dreams), though I have owned my share for sporting vehicles. My first was a '72 240Z followed by a '74 911. I currently have a '93 MR2 turbo with less than 75,000 miles. Not a GT40 by any means but it is an absolute blast to drive.

I fell in love with the GT40 with the '66 LeMans. Being a highschool kid in Nebraska, at the time all my friends were muscle car mavins and I was one of the few addicted to road courses. Quarter mile times just didn't interst me. The first time I saw the GT40 I thought(and still do) it was far and away the best looking race car on the planet.

I have neither the space or assets to aquire the real thing, so I have been content to build very high end models of my favorite cars. These are throughly researched and meticulously built replicas. I can spend years building one.

If you are not aware of it, there is a new model comming out in about a year of the GT40. It is large scale and I have a friend who creates aftermarket parts for these kits. It is my next project and I am starting to gather my research material for the build. That is my motivation for joining. I have seen many good photos and much solid advise on this site, so I hope you don't mine my making use of it and try to not be a pest.

My current project is a 935. It has been in process for 2 years. For those who are interested, here is a photo of my work. A large number of the parts are made in my shop, though I do start with a basic kit. I build these mostly for my own entertainment and enlightment. Thanks for letting me join.

Pete J.

Attachments

• GT40 forum.jpg
    GT40 forum.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Welcome Pete, are you talking about the 1/12 Trumpeter kit ? - i'm surprised a large scale kit of the GT40 has not been made before.

Had a MR2 myself some years ago and agree it's a great drive, mine was NA though.

Nice work by the way, great detail. What scale are we talking ?

Welcome Pete, are you talking about the 1/12 Trumpeter kit ? - i'm surprised a large scale kit of the GT40 has not been made before.

Had a MR2 myself some years ago and agree it's a great drive, mine was NA though.

Nice work by the way, great detail. What scale are we talking ?

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I am refering to the Trumpeter kit. I am really excited to see it coming out. There have been several 1:12 scale kits before, but they were all small resin casters productions. They were also in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. This is the first kit from a major manufacture. It should be priced a little more reasonably. I have been lobbying for years for one. Perhaps this will open the door to other versions.

The 935 is also 1:12 scale. It is based on the Tamiya kit, but the piece that you see has about 8 or 900 additional parts. There are metal nuts and bolts as small at .010" in diameter. Thanks for the comments.

Pete J.

Pete, yes you're right - someone here posted a link to a limited run resin kit at an eye watering price...it wasn't a strightforward build like a Tamiya either.

I do subscribe to TMMI, there are some great detal up examples in that mag - but i've not seen anything comming close to what you're talking about.

Would be interested in seeing the finished result.

Paulao on the forum here will be interested, i think he distributes kits as well as build them.

Simon,
This is actually my second 935. I have plenty of photos as Marcus Nichols at TMMI has asked for an artical on the subject. I would be happy to share them with any one who is interested. I am a little reluctant to put them up here, as I am new to the board and they only marginally pertain to the subject matter. If I get approval from the powers that be, I will post them, otherwise I would be happy to send them by email on request. In the mean time, here is a photo of the dash board. Pete

Attachments

• 935 dash board.jpg
    935 dash board.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 253
Pete J - If you put that much detail into the 1/12,I would very much like to see how you do when you try your hand at the full size version. Also,you can always post in the paddock section. A.J.

Back