Who's driving? How many miles?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I was driving back from Little Rock AR this last weekend and was thinking how many people really drive their cars. My trip to and from was almost 600 miles, my longest trip was from Ohio, 845 miles total and 625 of it in one day. I have just over 3000 since I got it on the road in June. How about the rest of you? How many people just use the car for racing?

I do all of the above, plus a car show or cruise now and then. No fun unless you use it, especially on the mountain roads and road courses in the Carolinas and Virginia.

Mine isnt quite on the road yet, and were going into winter, but i DO intend to drive it.
most of the folks that i have talked to have under 1000 miles on them.
they never drive them.

my only concern is ride height and the suspension bits near the tires.

for those of you driving them, what did you set your ride height at?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I've done a little over 2000 miles since April this year

Trip to Le Mans Classic, Club events, Santa Pod Run what you brung, and a weekend to Liverpool with the Mrs. just to prove it was possible to pack everything in a door pocket!

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
How many people just use the car for racing?

The only racing GT40 replica I have heard of is Ross Nicol's RF in Australia. I have not heard of any SPF GT40 replicas being used in any racing series. Is there an SPF GT40 replica being campaigned somewhere?

My problem is that I haven't been driving my OTHER cars enough. I can't seem to get enough of the GT40. I drive it to work now and again, and to the hardware store, and to the dry cleaner's. People in the village used to say "I saw you in your car". Now they've started saying, "I heard you go by". The constables all know me. The best trip was a drive up to Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin to do some laps at Road America. Major fun! Zero problems. And the car is quite comfortable.

road use only so far - 1,000 miles and going strong. Introduced the adrenaline rush to 5 new people this past week. A gasp is followed by giggles as I show them the awesome acceleration.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All

My 40 was registered on the 21st May 2008 and I now have 5500 Km on the clock.

I just love driving it and take it out every chance I get.

Dimi

Malcolm

Supporter
28,500 miles on my car, about half on track and most of the rest getting to and from tracks and other competitive events. However this is over 16 years of being on the road so not that intense by comparison.

However highest miler car I have ever seen was the ex-James Shaw GTD at about 80,000 last I heard.

Hi all

Well, I guess, what Jack means, is, that people with these, or other exotic cars, (not you guys now) don't often drive them cause they are "loud, hard, not comfortable etc". These are all reasons I have heard. They often just have the car to have it.

I owned a original Lancia Stratos Group 4 and used this after restauration quite often. But I had the same feeling like Jack, that I am the only one who is driving the car. Not only on the track, also on the legal road. My personal opinion is, that it's not possible to drive during the week a Mercedes or Audi, and then, during the weekend you can turn over the switch and be a "perfect driver" in a GT 40. For this, you should have also "normal driving" experience on the road, and of course also special experiences on the track. That's for me the ideal combination.

If you only like to use the GT 40 as a eye-catcher and for cruising, then of course it is another thing.

I guess it depends from your personal goals.

Regards from Switzerland Marcel.

900 miles since completion in July. With rains up here in the NW don't figure on much winter driving, so probably 2000 miles/year.

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I recieved my car october 2006 and has almost 20.000 miles on the meter.

Regards
Trond

Back