My next project....

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Ok, I'm not done with the RCR MKIV, but I have some thoughts about my next project. I already have the car (I've had it since I was 16), but there's a little work to do.

This is what I want >>>>>> YouTube - fiat 600 proto Kawasaki 1000

This is what I have:
Full cage, independent front/rear suspension, discs all around, but a sad little fiat 1000cc with about 80hp. I think I need a sweet motorcycle engine in there with 150+ hp and turning 12k+ RPM's!!!!

What do you think? :)

9454Cobra_Fiat.jpg

I do have a question though....Do you use the transmission and chain and all that stuff from a bike, or do you somehow mate the engine to a real transaxle or what?

Last edited:
Crazy Kiwis have stuck Mini Cooper S 1275cc FWD units in them , so there is no reason why the whole drivetrain from a Honda Prelude or similar couldnt be grafted in the back end. Just depends on how much cutting you want to do, having had Hillman Imps with a Ford out the back, I can say that it will be a lot more user friendly with the motor in front of the rear axle. Another good one would be a Subaru 4 or 6 cyl motor/transaxle assy- nice low profile. Time to fire up the plasma cutter!!:)

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Jac, I couldn't bring myself to putting a mini motor in there.

Freewheel, :) Cool, but I think this thing is begging for high winding motivation.

from what I've seen looking at other build sites the bike transmission is nearly always retained and either a modded car diff (to carry a sprocket) is used. Or a there are units built for the job from Quaife for example.

I think your best bet is to ask this question on:

LocostBuilders

Where there are many BEC head bangers hanging out.

Also check out: zcars.org.uk they do kits for this sort for thing for Minis they might be able to help you in some way.

Last edited:
It's an Italian car, if you're going motorbike engine it must surely be Bimota, Cagiva, Ducati, Laverda, or Moto Guzzi powerplants.
How about a couple of Ducatis mated together to make a V4?

DaveW.

How about filling the rear seat with a ferrari 3.2 QV? It already has a nice transverse/transaxles set up - all Italian fury.

If you are dead set on a bike engine,why not use a Yamaha 1100 cc from a V Max? it already has a good clutch and trans with shaft drive output so the adaption to a regular differential would be easy.The motor is a class powerhouse and stone reliable with hop-up parts readily available. A.J.

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for the input guys. Still in the thinking phase, but definately a doable project and would be a lot of fun.

Cliff,you may be a bit too young(fortunately) to remember the Isetta's and Messerschmidt's actually running around- small 3 wheelers,2 front/1 rear with m/c engines.Basically enclosed scooters.There was also the occasional DKW (Der Kleiner Wunder). How this guy got that thing on the road by putting an Isetta body on a boat trailer and powering it with a swamp boat fan is a real mystery. A.J.

Why have one hayabusa when you can have two together.What will Kiwis do next. Have a look at the machining these guys do, you will be impressed what they can do with a CNC machine and a lot of skill.
Hypercars - Gallery

Regards
Lambo

Last edited:
Here in the Southeast U S we have a great series that incorporates the bike engine. The Legends series. Neat little 5/8 size cars of yesteryear. Sorry it is the Yamaha 1200 and very competitive in that the engine is built by one company and there is little to none in modification. Check it out. A great way to get into racing on the cheap.

600 Racing | Legends

Bill

Back