Rear Wheel Bearings

Are the rear wheel bearings adjustable or fixed? Someone said something to me about them needing adjustment, but that seems odd. What is the part arrangement for rear axle pieces and bearings? Would be nice to have a photo if someone has had their's apart.

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Both the rear and the front wheel bearings needs to be adjusted. This shoud be done the first time with appx 1000 miles on the meter. This is important, you will expirience that they really need adjusting!

In the front it is easy to do this with the front clip off. You can easily get to it inside the hub. In the rear it is a lot of work. You have to remowe the drive shafts completely (losen both at the wheel and at the gearbox)

To adjust you remowe a small screw and a locking device, then turn clockwise to tighten. Do not overtighten!

This should be repeated again when needed. On my car a mede the next adjustment at appx 8.000 miles.

regards
Trond

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Trond is correct.

This should be part of our PM's..Not really that big a deal for anyone used to adjusting wheel bearings except as Trond notes the rears do require the half shafts to be removed (get a feel for the fronts first then once the half shafts removed the rears are the same).

Note some cars have a one piece half shaft (bolted only to the transaxle like my 930 custom assembly built due to torque of my FE engine) most have a stub axle in the upright with bolts on both the transaxle and upright /stub axle requiring the half shaft to be removed and then the stub axle to be pulled as well. Newer cars require a special puller for stub axle install and pusher for disassembly (rather than straight cut splines the newer stub axles have a twist to the splines that prevent any torque slop but require the puller and pusher for assbly/disassbly) and these tools should be used to preclude force damage to the rear wheel bearings during assembly/disassembly (SPF Calif should have the required tools or drawings that will allow shop fabrication; just a puller/pusher tool).

Steve P2125

Last edited:
Considering the metal shields as bearing seals how often should front wheel bearings be lubed? I have an e mail in to Olthoff on the rear bearing tools needed.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jeff,

How did you notice the bearing problem (sounded great on the video)?

Did you install new bearings?

Did you fab yourself and if so please share or get from SPF proper grease seals?

Tx, Steve

PS...So far I havent noticed any wear or noise at 3,000 miles but, better seals will be an improvement if available.

Jeff,

How did you notice the bearing problem (sounded great on the video)? I had the wheels off to fit some Avon tires and was performing a general check for tightness, slop, run-out, ect. While spinning the tire I noticed the sound.

Did you install new bearings? I did not replace the bearings. There was no sign of abnormal wear on the bearings so I decided to give them a thorough cleaning and repack them with hi-temp synthetic grease. That said I will most likely replace them at the next inspection.

Did you fab yourself and if so please share or get from SPF proper grease seals? I replaced all parts as they were. I agree some actual seals would be great.

Tx, Steve

PS...So far I havent noticed any wear or noise at 3,000 miles but, better seals will be an improvement if available.

I should also note that the noise was actually coming from the gritty dust shield rubbing against the spindle on which the tightness of the bearings was probably not up to spec. Just the right combination to produce some nasty sound coming from the wheel!

Jeff

After viewing the video again I have to say it sounds much worse on the video than it did in person! Sounds like the whole assembly might just fall off... but this was not the case.

One curious detail is the shape of the dust shield, as seen in the last two photos of my link. The other dust shields were not 100% flat but they were close, I think this deformation played a role in causing this noise.

Thanks for the advice. Adjusted all 4 wheel bearings, but still wondering what the recommendation is on mileage for relubing considering the 'nylos seals'?

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Dave,

As I recall Olthoff suggested an initial set then adjust after 500 to 1,000 miles and then after 10,000 miles unless racing (if racing much more frequently).

I adjusted at 1,000 miles and checked at 2,500 and found no change.

Any other input?

Steve P2125

Back