New North Carolina titles

NC has changed the law and will now let you title a car based on the year of body continuation design. That is per Dennis O. Has anyone recently completed this process with NCDMV? I am about to find out.
Grady

Mine went through the NC process July 08 and is titled as a 1966 Ford remanufactured Replica. It takes about 90 days and much may depend on the inspector being a true car person.
Need all your paper work from every source and in some cases notarization is helpful. They are only interested in finding stolen parts really.
One benefit is county prop tax values as 66 Fords don't score high on the Cpounty tax roles. However it was very expensive to pay intial state Sales and Road tax on the car for NC title and license plates. In the thousands not hundreds.
Once the title came I was presently surprised and thankful.
If Dennis O has run a few through do it through his operation since the inspector would be familiar and he can truely advise you of the outcome. For all I know mine is a fluke but I am not complaining and do not wish to rock any boats since I have another car I am building and it will need the inspection and title done as a 1980 Replica.
Hope this helps you.

When I processed the MKIII 4 years or so ago, it was no problem. I guess what is my main problem is that I tried to start the paperwork yesterday, but need to have some sort of inspector look at the car. Here in Asheville, they are not up to speed as to what the car is or how it came to be created. With an out of state title I had to get Dennis to send out a completed FR2 form, only to now have an inspector look at the VIN and whatever. Our government feed bits and pieces of the rules, nowhere on the DMV website does it say what is required.
Dennis will have an inspector look at the car when they get an appointment. You can only get those scheduled between the hours of 8-10 M-Th. I wonder how much trouble it will be to get my MKIII retitled as a '65? The whole thing about MkII or MkIII confuses the ladies behind the counter at the NCDMV. If you can't find it at Walmart that limits their knowledge base. A picture did help, but to them it is a red sports car. What does 427 mean? I didn't mean to bring my soapbox.....

Once your car is titled that is it. It can not be changed. The major problem was two years ago a Fayetteville gentleman wanted his '37 Ford replica titled as an original. The first inspector said it is a copy and wouldn't. This person called his high up friend at NCDMV who sent another inspector who did what the man wanted. They than (high up Yo yo at NCDMV) made the ilfe of the first inspector less than comfortable. He filed a compalint and an investigation ensued. The high up guy had to resign. The title was withdrawn and new more severe regs went into play to punish the innocent for the crimes of one and his buddy. This is the typical way government works.
I would let Denis Olthoff handle it.
The other choice is to have a fellow who does "Crash Reconstruction" help you through the process. They work with the DMV inspectors all the time and know what they want and can get you set up for the inspection. It is a good idea for you to be there to answer any and all questions the inspector may have. I found mine to be very klnowledgable about custom and race cars. Be down to earth as these fellows rarely get chances to see and evaluate these kinds of vehicles from honest no nonsense people like ourselves. They will sense your love of the vehicle and what you have put into it. Underneath we all get dressed one leg at a time.
Be patient and just say what you would wish could happen if possible and say if it can't be that way you understand. I was pleasently surprised and extremely happy with this outcome. My '99 BRX which is a combination of five Ferraris (GT40, Tetarossa, 288, Boxer, Konig) and a Lola (none designed after '85) was titled in '99 and was listed as custom '99 not a '85 Ferrari replica. That is because in '99 this was the best we could have. Things are actually better today. Have patience but if at all concerned let Dennis do it. I had to have original bills of sale from Roy Sayles in San Diego (who sold me the rolling chasssi). I had to have original bill from RBT (this was no small matter or easy task), Bill Andrews of HRE and from Jeff the engine builder. They also had to say no certificate of Origin in NY or California. However CAV was good enough to have one made for me. The paper work has to be originals not fax copies.
Hope this helps.
Mort
PS: Now here is the rub the NCDMV inspector than faxes everything to Raleigh, NC. He keeps the originals. He may than make a file that is mailed or perhaps it is deep sixth. I made copies of everything and had two original documents (when possible) mailed to me to be safe.

Just titled my FFR Roadster in May. Took a little bit of time about 5 hours) but extremely easy. Have the MSO for the kit, engine, and transmission. If no MSO for tranny and engine (like myself) just had a letter from Ford saying they did not issue them for engines and trans. Inspector came out to the house and took some pictures and headed back to his office to finish up the paperwork. Fax it off to raleigh so they can assign a value. Came up a lot less than what i have in mine. Pay it and they issue a 60 day temp tag right there and mail you the actual tag. Only reason it took so long was computer and fax machine issues otherwise it would have taken about an hour to do everything. Title will reflect what is on the kit MSO. I live in Wilmington.

Miracle Mike and carnutdr,
Thanks for the input. I am familiar with the "cause" of the problem and also the Alabama title story. The car is at Olthoff now undergoing updates and a few additions I wanted (fire system and camlock seatbelts). Dennis will get the inspector out there sometime. The engine is a Keith Craft built NOS 427 side oiler and I have all the paperwork here. Dennis built the car. I hope Dennis has his copies or there is always the fax. I just wish the state would share what they need to see and not piecemeal the requirements. I assume this will titled a 'custom' as the although the great state of MO has titled the car a 1966.
I have seen one GT40 in the shop with a Vintage NC tag mounted. Vintage means 35 or more years....maybe that is part of the change in the new 'secret' state laws. We'll see how it proceeds....
Grady Asheville

Remember they want original paper work. They will not accept Fax's even thought the inspector faxes the information to Raleigh; he has originals. Why his fax is Ok and yours isn't is mindboggling but that is it. Once you have the real plate and title; if it says '66, you can obtain a vintage plate if you like. I went for a personalized one. My county is prop taxing the car as a '66 Ford.
Dennis O will know all this and it should be a breeze. If the car had a title in another state that should also fly and than no need for inspector.
Mort

Finally completed
1-You will need a DMV inspector look at the car and have a copy of his signed Certificate of Inspection. They verify the vin #, location, make, color, manufacture, etc. a check list. (stated year 1966)
2-Insurance binder (form FS1)
3-Another statement from NC saying that you have the required insurance (provided by tag office)
4-A Bill of sale
5-A NC form MVR-63 Title Application
6-If you go for a new car vehicle title you will have to get the car inspected at an inspection station. Under the new rules this was titled a 1966 year model.
7-If you have someone take care of this at DMV for you, you will need a limited Power of Attorney which the license/tag office has on hand.
Just need to ask for form. I was using this because the car is 120 miles away at OLTHOFF RACING. This maybe easier to have the dealer do as the state DMV inspectors know what it is they are looking at when you say a GT40 MkII.
8-A valid NC drivers license.

Cost 3% of sales figure (Highway use tax), title $50, tag ($28), Antique tag charge ($10), and $5 for the notary fee. Your county/city
will find you for the annual property tax.

And if all goes well and you don't find a transposed number on the VIN code as I did, you will have the new title in 2 weeks, and the antique tag in 3 weeks. I hope....but I do have a registration card and temporary metal tag.
Grady-GT40P2124

Back