Finished Cobra Now a GT

Well Almost finished...But already missing the build. What better pair to have behind a Double garage door but a GT and A Cobra. My first GT 40 Sighting was my sisters X-Boyfriends Original Number 9 Gulf Car, which by the way he still owns. She should have stuck it out with him and we'd have an original in the family.
But Oh well, I am in need of guidance on manufacturers who can get me into the building process for not a ton of money yet still be in business and also a quality vehicle when its all done. I am married to entry level cost is important. The Cobra rolled in at $14k and now totaling $40k in receipts was done over time. Expensive parts here and there are easier to get by the better half over time. Any advice would be helpful.

HB

I am in the same frame of mind that you are. Just got my FF Roadster near to completion including the registration and would think that there would be nothing better in life than a GT40....

I will be watching your thread and enjoying this forum.

Mike

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the forum, Hank! Admirable goal, congrats on your Cobra build, I know what you mean about yearning for the next.

I'm thinking that the old saying "He who dies with the most toys, WINS!!" has some truth to it. To that effect, I'd like to try for the holy trinity of kit cars--a GT40, a Cobra, and a Daytona! Plenty of time left!

Doug

I have been fortunate enough to have all 3 at the same time, a GT40MKI, Kirkham cobra and an SPF Daytona, and while it may seem a worthy goal, the reality is you can only drive them one at a time. I would suggest enjoying the cobra and then selling it, build a GT40 and do the same, then a Daytona. Your bank account will thank you for it. As to the original question, there are no cheap GT40s.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Hank & Mike!!!

As you know, there are a number of us Cobra Builders that took the next step in this direction.. If I can be of any help - please let me know!!!

Chuck,I'm curious as to why you put the builds in that order.Personal preference or.....? Newcomers may want to know also. A.J.

actually I built the Kirkham first and then bought my CAV from a guy here on the forum. The SPF Daytona was a spur of the moment sort of thing and it was a running car also. I then bought the SPF MK11. It got pretty crowded in my garage for a while. I have since sold the cobra, Daytona and the MK11. I am keeping the MK1 and presently replacing the motor. The CAV was just the car I always gravitated to when I wanted to drive, it just looks perfect to me and with the new 475hp motor, it should perform well. I think cobras are the natural way to start in this hobby, they are the most simple to build but also the most impractical in a group of impractical cars.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
actually I built the Kirkham first and then bought my CAV from a guy here on the forum. The SPF Daytona was a spur of the moment sort of thing and it was a running car also....I think cobras are the natural way to start in this hobby, they are the most simple to build but also the most impractical in a group of impractical cars.

I agree with you, Chuck! Although I have followed the kit car industry since the early 1970's (maybe even during the 60's, the Kelmarks captured my attention when their most complete kit was around $3K), I have yet to build one....family issues, but it's rapidly approaching. I'd love to build a GT40 first, but I know in my heart it will be a Cobra replica first.....in my case, I need to develop some self confidence regarding the build process, the 40 seems to require SO MUCH fabrication and I don't want to be sitting there 5 years later waiting on somebody to finish it for me b/c I was unable to fab up brackets, etc. The simpler build of the Cobra will build some confidence for me, after that it might be a difficult decision between the Daytona and the GT40. I know in the end I'll end up with one of those, as I need a 4-season car, and even with heated seats or heated snowmobile suits, a 4-season car the Cobra isn't!

All 3 at once.....what a life!!! :thumbsup:

Doug

doug, if you really want a Daytona or GT40, I would start with one of those. Keep in mind that building cars is really not that difficult, especially in the internet age (advise is a minute away) you just break them down into segments and do not let the whole picture scare you. It will take a little longer than a cobra, but it sounds like you will be more satisfied with it in the end. these things are still way easier than rebuilding an old classic. At least you do not have to tear them down before you rebuild them and parts are new and shiney. go for it and enjoy it.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Doug

Building one of our Tornado TSC GT40s is not anywhere near as difficult as you seem to think building a 40 is.

I know that you do see on the forum cases where builders of certain kits have had to fabricate their own parts and spend vast amounts of time looking for parts to do various jobs etc but this is certainly not the case with the Tornado TSC GT40 kit

We supply every single item you need. Nothing is left for the builder to fabricate or ' figure out how to do' for himself.

We supply a comprehensive written 14 chapter build manual with diagrams and CD which contains 350 step by step pictures.

Every part we supply is packaged and part numbered for cross refference against our parts
list and is supplied with all hardware required.

All bolts, nuts, washers, rivets and screws are supplied with each part and are BZP.

Any exterior fixings are stainless steel.

I hope the above helps you with the decision to build the car you really want.

Andy

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Believe me, Andy, I've been following Scott's #875 build thread since it started, looking forward to seeing the CF buildup.....sounds like my kind of car, lightweight, no need for mondo power for a decent ride.....rest assured you're on the short list! In my case, the kit that is the most complete and requires the least fabrication gets the nod. There's a very complete non-donor Cobra replica out there, too......most of the fabrication on that project relates to builder desired options, otherwise it sounds to be as complete as is your kit. The only problem is that the company was sold and the new owner is taking quite a while to get set up for production, but I'm in NO hurry.

Really looking forward to the CF buildup.....:thumbsup:

Doug

Back