FS G50 kit for RCR SL-C

Hey there everyone,

After checking in with Fran, we have decided to offer a transaxle kit for the SL-C and RCR40.

I would really like some input on this offering so that we can provide everything that would be desired and needed for the SL-C as well as the RCR40.

Here is what I have come up with so far though.

G50/01-02 This is the short tail 87-89 G50 5 speed. $6,250.00
This is a completely rebuilt unit, carries with it a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty, has been reworked in the case to open oiling passages to allow this gearbox to run inverted reliably. It also has oil cooler in and out fittings installed.

G50 Starter $350.00
Custom Stage II clutch kit $1,500.00
19 row double pass oil cooler $200.00
Tilton electric oil pump $200.00
optional LSD (plate type) $1,495.00
Brandwood Cable Shift Kit (if needed) $650.00

Total for Kit with LSD installed $10,645.00 plus shipping

We have several of these gearboxes built and ready for shipping currently. We also offer custom gearing for these gearboxes as well for an additional fee.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, and please by all means share your thoughts on this kit as I can only make it better with all of your help.

I look forward to working with more RCR fans, and hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Attachments

• IMGP2506.JPG
    IMGP2506.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 590
Hi Erik,

Perhaps a good one-piece steel 240mm flywheel and ring gear? Looking forward to receiving my G50-50 LSD you have prepped for me!

Will the pressure plate and TO bearing be included with the clutch kit you mentioned?

Will the Brandwood cable shift have cable lengths matched for the SL-C specifications?

Billet side plate?

Keep up the good work Erik!

thanksgiving holiday is next thursday, pretty much no school for the kids all week (at least here in California, us parents usually off thursday and friday. Friday is usually the biggest shopping day of the year...we'll see.....

Alright, here we go. Thanks for the comments please keep them coming.

Doc, the clutch kit that I have listed here does include pressure plate, street/race organic friction disc, and TO bearing.

I will have to look into a good flywheel, there are a couple of them currently available I will get some prices together.

So the big question of the day, why put a kit together utilizing the G50/01 and 02 rather then the G50/52 or G50/50? Well that is a great question, and here are some reasons behind this choise.

First, the majority of the builds are going to use engines that will in all probability push out around 500 HP. From a cost prospective, the G50.01 and G50.02 are perfectly suited to the type of HP and torque. If your plans are to go after High HP and Torque, then the G50.50 is the gearbox for you. It features the same type of short tail configuration, a larger ring and pinion, and is quite a bit stronger, but also quite a bit more expensive.

The other issue here is the availability. The G50.50 was only made for a single year in 1989 and only in one generation of car, the 911 turbo. Unfortunately there are only so many of these gearboxes around. We can certainly help you with one though if that is your wish.

Brandwood will be able to put a cable length together with a bit of help for the SL-C.

I realize that there are many options open regarding the transaxle selection and I am happy to offer any help that I can in the selection process. I can also guarantee this, Carquip is not the least expensive company to purchase a gearbox from. To be honest we really do not wish to be either. There is a fair amount of parts, labor and expense to correctly rebuild a gearbox, we are certainly in the business to stay in business, as well. We are in my opinion the best in the business, and our customer service is unequalled.

If you do decide to purchase from another source and have any issues at all please feel free to contact me. I am here to help in any way I can. I am always available to my customers via my cell. Feel free to ask me anything.

I hope that this information has been helpful and I look forward to earning your trust and hopefully your business.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(720) 980-9407 cell

Erik,

Would the single-mass Euro RS 240mm flywheel work out for the LS-7 at about 11.5lbs? I would guess the big engine torque and light chassis weight would be plenty to compensate for stalling/bucking tendencies. I believe the Carrera FW's are about 13 lbs or so. You can get even lighter at about 9.5 lbs!!! I believe.

Erik, I am interested in the Tilton pump and oil cooler portion of your kit. With the trans inverted (mine is a G50/52) are there already usable holes in the case to plumb lines, or does this involve drilling the case?

Dan,

Very typically you will have to drill holes in the case and tap them for the cooler in and out.

We have been drilling the bellhousing and the tail piece for the in and out. We put a 90 pipe thread to 8an in the bell and a straight pipe thread to 8an in the tail piece.

Let me know if you need me to send you out a cooler and pump. If you would like to discuss how to prep your gearbox for this installation feel free to call me either at work or on my cell. I am always here to help.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(720) 980-9407 cell

Here is an update, flywheel pricing should be in the neighborhood of $350.00 for a custom unit. Kennedy Engineering does a great job with these. They can set them with whatever balance is needed and they are putting out a wonderful product.

Hope that this information has been helpful. I will certainly add this to my kit as well.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(720) 980-9407 cell

Hi Erik,

Just received the G50/50 LSD tranny this PM and it looks outstanding! I'll be checking in with you re: sundry parts for mounting to my LS7, hydraulic clutch release stuff, flywheel, clutch, PP, clutch fork assembly and TO bearing. Nice placement of oil cooler ANs and fill plug. Anyone considering the Porsche transaxle should seriously consider Erik's offerings. Erik, I've loaded the core into the cooler to get ready for return shipping.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Paul! Doc is from Texas for Gods sake. He just got here and he's gonna think we are all "funny" out here in California if we don't watch it. That is, unless we start talking about rearends................input shafts..........
Welcome to the forum Doc. When do you expect your SLC?

Howard, SLC 24

Well....ya'll in Cali-forn-I-A sure do talk funny!

I haven't placed the order as yet. I've got the LS7 in my shop to be sent out to my "guru" to work on the heads, cam, etc. The G50/50 is now in my shop. So, little steps toward finally ordering from Fran. For now, I can only share what little I know and mostly listen and learn from forum members.

Back