P4 and 917 Billet wheel centers....more coming

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
In an effort to continue bringing cool parts to our hobby...we have been developing some more correct wheel centers for the rarer cars....
We have done a version for our RCRP4 and also for the RCR917's....the RCR70's are next...
These are three piece 15 inch diameter wheels....
The gold wheel is an original Ferrari Campagnolo wheel....
The 917 billet center was media blasted to simulate a cast surface..
keep in mind these are prototype parts....but pretty representative of a production piece..
Attached Thumbnails

Nice, I really love the 917 wheels, how much will they be for a set?
I won't be needing them right away.
What's the inside diameter of the rim?
Could you also supply 4x104 PCD to knock-off with nut(not spinner)?

Greetz,
Bram Boekestein
Holland

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Pricing will determined once we refine the machining for production...

I will measure the absolute inside diameter for you....

We will be able to supply any bolt pattern and backspacing ...within the restrictions of the wheel halves obviously.

Fran,

That looks awesome. I was just looking at these a couple of days ago oddly enough, yours look so much nicer. Very impressive. I look forward to seeing what they are going to run cost wise.

Have a great Holiday,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2

Pretty Hot.

Is it possible to use a one piece rim section (as in a two piece wheel) and directly weld the spokes to the rim? Many rim makers use the two piece wheel method but like these examples you show for three piece construction - as you show they use a ring to provide meat (for assy bolts or weld surface) before joining to the rim. I imagine there would not be enough weldable material to just weld the spokes directly to the rim without the ring.

Nice work.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The inconsistent welding on the spokes only would potentially give you an out of round wheel IMHO....other more learn'ed people may have an opinion on that too....

The other thing we are experimenting with is an outer rim and wheel center being machined as one piece allowing a much shallower outer rim and then bolting on the rear rim as per a three piece...so it becomes a two piece wheel

Thanks for drawing my attention to this post/development Fran. Two sets of P4 wheels for me please :) along with the knock off hub adapters etc.

Can you also supply correct style spinners?

BTW, get those darn wheels off the Kitchen Table you Heathen!!! ;)

Attachments

• P408567-PebbleBeach-Aug2004-RearWheelDucting-740Resized.jpg
    P408567-PebbleBeach-Aug2004-RearWheelDucting-740Resized.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Good news travels fast!

Fran, will you have these in 17 inch dia and a range of widths and offsets, as modular construction should allow? I NEED a set of these on my C5 Corvette...something to tide me over until the economy improves and we get to serious talking about one of your P4s...

I'm running these Speedlines as one of my wheel sets...at least they are in the right direction, but not the P4 look I am after..They are also too narrow..

ourvet-1.png

Planning on wide flares and MUCH wider tire/wheel package.. looking for 10 or 11 x17 Front , and 12 inch x 17 or 18 Rear...if possible.

Last edited:
Great job Fran,

do you plan to make some stress tests with slick racing tire ?
(I've seen a lot of broken wheel while used under heavy condition on race track....)

or it's road use only ?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Thierry,

we have already run the FEA analysis and we are way above the required ratings and requirements....which means our wheels are probably a little heavier than they need to be...but safety first.

Fran,

Did you get to measure the absolute inner diameter for them 917 wheels?

BTW. 917 have the spokes on a angle normally don't they? the center is deeper than the outer edge. Are you going to do this?

Greetz,

Bram Boekestein
Holland

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Bram,

I have original 917 wheels at the shop and the billet is a direct digital scan from the original.
The billet center has more draft on the spokes than may be visible in the pics...it is not a flat 5 spoke center.
The wheels we have, front and rear have the same spoke profile...but a much deeper offset obviously.
If there is a specific wheel you would like replicated for your RCR we can certainly explore that option too.....

Last edited:
If I am now wrong the p4 wheel should be in magnesium. (how much is the weight?)

Schoolmate of my dad made the original cast for that p4 wheels.He worked for Campagnolo company at the time..too cool stuff, bravo Fran

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Gregg,
Can't yet answer your question. I am just considering the options of which RCR Car I will build. I have finished an Ultima GTR and I am looking for my next project. The Lolta T70 roadster looks great, as does the Ultralite "LeMans." On the other hand, I attend the Monterey Historics every year and I vividly recall a line-up of Mark IV's several years ago. I have always been a great fan of tne Mark I, but I couldn't help notice the style , including the functionally finned wheels, of the Mark IV.

A Mark IV with original wheels may be what I am looking to build, and I just thought I would ask the question as to their availability, although the Mark I wheels obviously would nat take anything away from the car, except originality for the Mark IV model.
David

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry, in my previous post I meant to say Superlite "Lemans" instead of "Ultralite." (been a long day at the office).

Back