Ivan UK's GT40 build

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
One thing i have always wanted to do was to build something lasting, something worth more (to me) than the sum of its parts, something i can be proud of. I love doing trackdays so it had to be a car, but something i "could" drive everyday.

Then a freind of mine who was building a MGB V8 sold the car, but still had a nice jucy rover V8, which he has said i can have..... i just have to get it from kent and i live in yorkshire lol

soo it was GT40 from there. In my build log i am going to add the parts i have aquired and what i have paid, to give anyone who may be after a certain part another idear of somewhere to try.

as it stands atm, i dont have a Kit or most of the parts, but i am doing it............... myyyyyy wayyyyy :laugh::laugh: (ok i wont do that again)

So on to the first bit i aquired:-
Tuning Rover V8 Engines: How to Get Best Performance for Road and Competition Use (Amazon £12.59)
ok so a book maybe not a part but i am going to have to overhaul the V8 i am getting :thumbsup:

Next Part :-
A Un1 gear box (will post pics if required)
This i am most proud of, i used information i found on un1.com (iirc), a list of cars the UN1 was fitted to. i finally found one on ebay, and was titled as "RENAULT ESPACE GEARBOX MANUAL 2.0 PETROL 1993" so i took the chance, asked the seller for some pics, which he supplied, i them promptly bought it BIN £60 (+ £50 P+P). i recieved it today and looks in geat condition :thumbsup:

(just a note to say i dont have the engine yet so i carnt include it here)

next on my list is a part Andy has, i havnt forgot mate.....

I hope you can see that i am trying to structure my build, buying the bits i can work on and make good before i buy a kit. I know there isnt alot here, but i know this project is going to take me 2 years minium..... but i carnt wait :laugh:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Re: From start to finish, my build

Ivan
Welcome to the start of your dream in getting a GT40 on the road. I'm sure it will be an amazing journey and will bring much pleasure, probably even more frustrations, more skinned knuckles than you would ever care to remember - one really sore back (they are low) but a feeling like no other once you drive it for the first time!

The help and assistance from this forum will be a massive boost in your build and don't be shy to ask!

Lastly the Rover lump is fairly light but will not make a lot of power compared to Ford or Chev lumps. Expect about 220bhp from a well Tuned 3.9 - to get any more than that needs a lot of money spending and they become less reliable. They can be turbo'd reasonably easily.
And for all things Rover join
http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/index.php

Enjoy the build and take loads of pictures -

Ian

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Ian thnx for the tip m8, i am alreay registered there :thumbsup: and i would be using a 302, but i feel more confident with the rover..... if that makes sense :huh:. besides i dont even have the engine yet, let alone know weather it is worth overhauling.

The rover's a good engine, all aluminium and available up to 5.2 litres. Easy enough to start with a standard 3.5 and upgrade later.
Simon

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Good luck with the build Ivan.

The Rover is a good choice in the UK, but if you start to look at upgrades they get very expensive very quickly! If you want more than about 200hp go with a Ford. About half the price once you get over 300hp (that may be changing now with the exchange rate), and more reliable too. But in saying that, 200hp will get you down the road pretty quickly in a 40.

The trap is trackdays! You'll eventually want something with more grunt! So be realistic and fit a 302 to start with and save yourself a fortune!

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
owe'ing to peer pressure :laugh: i am investigating a 302 build, but i am struck with more options then makes sense :stunned:

so the question is do i buy a used 302 say from real steel ( around £450 ) then spend some money on goodies/missing bits etc?? or do i just cheat and get a ready built turnkey unit?

anyone know any other places to buy a used 302 from?? (uk preferred)

Ivan,

They do come up on ebay now and again, I found my 351W on Ebay about 12 miles from were I live and cost me £300. At the same time for the same money there was a 302 in Bristol.

I have rebuilt it and realistically it would probably have been cheaper to buy a crate engine but I did enjoy MOST of the rebuild, although at the moment I have no idea if it will run, which is not a problem you should have with a crate engine.

Hi Ivan like you "I have a dream" !!! Cheers Keron

Can I ask you ..how rare is a 302 to find in the uk ? were they in much use there? if so what were they used in?

Hi Ivan,

I have a 1987 reconditioned bare 302 block if you fancy building one up with new parts.
Cheers,
Martin

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
minor update

Martin Potts is a top bloke, you have my thanks again mate!

now can anyone recomend a good book that covers actual building of a 302??

i have "How to Build Max-performance Ford V8's on a Budget" (lot of info on what to look for but not the building), and i am waiting for Amazon to finally deliver "How to Build and Power Tune Ford Smallblock V8 Engines " (been waiting since 6th dec'08)

No problem. Glad I could help you on your way.
Nice to meet you too. Thanks for the extra beer money. Not often you get more than you asked for..:thumbsup:
I hope to see some posts showing your progress soon.
Cheers,
Martin

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
Brett, thanks for the tip, but according to haynes website the only one they have is "Ford V8 Engine Overhaul Manual (Chilton USA) " not a haynes manual, but is the the one you was on about?

Thanks Martin, it was a honour and a pleasure mate :thumbsup:

as soon as i have any progress it will get posted here :)

I've got a couple of 302 books you are welcome to borrow, also a 302 pushrod length checker.
Where abouts are you in the UK?
Simon

Back