Porsche G50 + Clutch

Hi guys, i am looking for a G50/50 or G50/52 (I believe these are the turbo boxes and the ones to have to handle a decent amount of torque?)

I would like to know prices for a 2nd hand box in useable condition, i plan to do a rebuild.

I would like to find one in the uk as shipping costs from the US will make it expensive.

Does anyone have an idea how much clutches cost for the gbox that will handle in excess of 400ftlb's?

I will be making my own flywheel and adapter plate.

Many thanks,
Mudgey

Chris Duncan

Supporter
all from memory, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Expect to pay $2500 to $3500 for a used G50, upper end if it has limited slip diff. IF you can find one, they are getting rare.

a KEP 600ft/lb clutch package with light press plate is about $700?

There's lots of discussion on the forum about what years are best. I think the cutoff is '89. The earlier ones taking a gear reduction starter without mods. '90 and up needing mods to fit the earlier flywheel to fit the gear reduction starter which is best for cranking a V8. Although a porsche HD starter will work although it's way larger, possible clearance issues when the trans is flipped.

there are different torque capacities also. the G50-05 being good to 400hp or so and the G50-50 going to 500hp. The difference being a larger R&P. Only issue is the 50-50 is a 4 speed?

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mudgey is talking about the turbo boxes. A G50/52 needing a freshen up is likely to be about 5000 USD. A G50/50 which is basically the same trans but with the shorter rear (or front when it's in a Porsche!) mount is rare as hens teeth and they were only made for one year and I seem to remember hearing a figure of 150 produced. So virtually unobtainable and priced at a premium when available. Both trans are 5 speeds. It's the 930 that is the four speed and it's the strongest of the lot and a bit cheaper than a G50/52.

Prices to me seem a little dearer in Europe but since that's where you are and bearing in mind exchange rates and freight that might be your better option.

Who says? :uneasy: I do! :shocked: :lipsrsealed:

For a clutch, I picked up second hand Tilton triple plate on ebay for about a hundred bucks, they come up all the time often having done only one NASCAR race. Of course the driven plates are wrong but its only about 240 USD for all three plates to suit the Porsche splines.

But since you have the skills to build your own flywheel etc and live in the UK I'm sure old worn out Rangerover (or Rover SD1, TR7 etc) drive plates are in good supply and FOC so get three of those and machine the centres so that you can rivet them to the Chevy plates, in place of the Chevy centres. The ex-NASCAR plates are usually only worn two or three thou and you have an almost new Porsche compatible triple plate for a hundred bucks US and a bit of machining....

Good luck with it anyway.

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Adam

.....the cost for a refurb. G50/50 or G50/52 is nearer the 10k mark. and up..as Russ says they are rare and only getting rarer.

A fresh 930 is in the 7k range now.....

These are prices from reputable refurbishers not Ebay specials.....

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
He plans to rebuild it himself..... ebay or the Porsche forums are his best bet....but double check that they do actually come with a slip if that's what you think you are paying for....

Chris Duncan

Supporter
to handle a decent amount of torque?)

in excess of 400ftlb's?

So then the question is why do you need more than 400hp for a 2300 lbs car? Over that and the costs become exponential for the gain in performance.

The originals went 200 mph+ with 400hp.

The engine is infact 385ftlb's but it will get some abuse, i dont want a gearbox that will be right on the limit with that power.

Your right, the boxes become rarer and more expensive so it seems! Nothings ever easy!

Chris Duncan

Supporter
The engine is infact 385ftlb's but it will get some abuse, i dont want a gearbox that will be right on the limit with that power.

Your right, the boxes become rarer and more expensive so it seems! Nothings ever easy!

the G50-05 will handle 400 ft/lbs. no problem, even more with some mods

this is not a drag car because it's got independent suspension, what is the purpose of spending so much more just so you can abuse it?

this car in general is pretty expensive to build properly, you need to think about the benefits of not going overboard unless it serves a purpose. That is unless you're independently wealthy. :thumbsup:

dear Mudgey,
i have a g50 gearbox for sale, it is with mirage automotive in poole , dorset. please give me a ring on 07802 264737 or work 01227 751588. give me a ring and i will give you all the details.

best regards
alistair

Let me know if you are having difficulty finding a good G50 solution. I have a couple in mind that I think will be very much to your liking. Budget on the other hand. We specialize in Porsche gearboxes for inversion application, so we have a bunch of options.

Hope I can help.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Back