Tornado build log

Hi all
I guess with the arrival of the Kit it's the perfect time to start a building blog

Well here we go. I picked up the parts over the weekend at the Tornado facilities and drove it back to Germany on a trailer.

So here is what I have from Tornado

-> Basic Kit
-> Dashboard
-> Ford to UN1 Bellhousing
-> Steering kit
-> Engine and Gearbox mountings

Already in the garage since a while have been

-> Ford 302 complete rebuild (not ready yet missing the right heads)
-> UN1-004 Gearbox
-> Front and Back Windscreen
-> Head and Tail Lights
-> Everything connected to the Wheels inc. breaks (standard ones as of today) but no CV Joints and Driveshafts yet.

I think I was smiling like a ....man I have no Idea how I smiled but it was a lot my wife said. :D :D :D

As you can see I own a professional Car rebuild jig and laying the frame down on it was snug fit. A bit of measurement proofed what I expected. 100% perfect straight and square.
Well done Andy!

Still open questions/decisions and open for your advises and recommendations

-> Tank sizes ...
-> wheel size and tyre size/combination
-> Breaks. I love HiSpec as they have some serious advantages over Wilwood
-> Radiator type (copper/alu) and size
-> Suspensions. Here I am not sure what the best options are. The SPAX Setup in my Cobra works fine, but not sure about the GT as the geometry weight and other importand things are totally different. So If one could help me here with different vendors and Part numbers I would be really glad

So any suggestions/advises are more then welcome.

I will update you as soon as I start the building process. .:sunny:

(C)arlos

Attachments

• IMG_7669-c.jpg
    IMG_7669-c.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_7670-c.jpg
    IMG_7670-c.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 825
  • IMG_7671-c.jpg
    IMG_7671-c.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 757
Re: Carlos Tornado build

Hello Carlos,
speak with Christoph Bettag (Aachen Germany).
He sells HiSpec an nice suspensions in Germany.
His website Home
Best regards Ralf

Hi,

@RalfM, thx lot, spoke to him and it looks I really upgrade to HiSpec when the time is right.
@Paul, your build thread was inspiring, thx a lot for all the great pictures...

So I ordered the sheet aluminum a few days ago ad hope it will arrive as soon as I return from Capetown next weekend so I can start working on her .... ;-)

I have a few questions to those of you, having more experience then I ;-)

- I ordered the Tornado Bellhousing and I am looking for a clutch and Release bearing that fits to my Ford 302 and the bellhousing. What I found out is, that a standard clutch for the 302 should fit, but I wasn't able to figure out what the right bearing is.

- Is it worth to invest in a aluminum flywheel because of the reduce weight ? The engine should rev up quicker but I guess that's all?

- As far as I understand all the discussions here, it is necessary to apply an Oil Cooler to the Renault UN01 Gearbox. Can somebody provide me some pictures and a few sentences how to do it pls. I researched the forums, but I haven't been able to find the right discussions about it. (Is there any?)

- what is the usual size for the aluminum water cooler you all use ? What fits best ?

- If seen a lot of discussions about RHS and the installations required. Anyone out there having a Central shifter on a Tornado installed ?

- What door looks are you using ?

Thx in advance for your help

Regards from Capetown
(C)arlos

- I ordered the Tornado Bellhousing and I am looking for a clutch and Release bearing that fits to my Ford 302 and the bellhousing. What I found out is, that a standard clutch for the 302 should fit, but I wasn't able to figure out what the right bearing is.

The right bearing has to be assembled as the carrier is renault and the bearing is Ford. Tornado sell them also Chris Cole @ Mach 1.

- Is it worth to invest in a aluminum flywheel because of the reduce weight ? The engine should rev up quicker but I guess that's all?

Depends on the use - on the road it will be a pain as you will keep stalling. on the track reduced weight / faster rev up and down. I went with standard mustang but would prefer it lightened a little if I ever get around to it.

- As far as I understand all the discussions here, it is necessary to apply an Oil Cooler to the Renault UN01 Gearbox. Can somebody provide me some pictures and a few sentences how to do it pls. I researched the forums, but I haven't been able to find the right discussions about it. (Is there any?)

There are a few build logs on here - different ways of doing it. Most opt for using the drain hole as an oil takeoff - pump - cooler - back into 5th gear housing above 5th gear and also above the diff if yu aren't running a LSD.

- what is the usual size for the aluminum water cooler you all use ? What fits best ?

Not heard of a radiator from another car, either get the Tornado Alluminium one or Docking in Silverstone.

- If seen a lot of discussions about RHS and the installations required. Anyone out there having a Central shifter on a Tornado installed ?

Not sure on this - haven't seen one in the UK, probably been done in the USA

- What door looks are you using ?

Tornado.

Check all of Howard Jones posts. I think he did several pieces, with pictures, on installing a cooler on the un-1

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man

I've used an aluminum (small 157 tooth) flywheel for 15 years and never stalled the engine (due to the reduced rotating mass) in the 2300 lb car, 2.95 first gear, and 4:11 R&P. Shifting is MUCH improved. As a matter of fact, one of the first modifications I make (if a clutch needs to be installed) in any car I own is to install an aluminum flywheel in it during the work.

Hi,
slowly but steady I'm making some progress. I try to make as less sheets of metal as possible and that takes some time ;-) Sorry for the horrible looking garage, promise to clean it up for the next pictures ;-) In reality the drivers wheel arch side and the front section is ready, but not all is put on to ease construction a bit ....
I don't use polished aluminum as I don't like the blinky blinky effect :stunned:
Surface options currently are anodizing or glass blasting them, but I am not sure about it yet.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 579
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 546
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 548
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 564

Hi Carlos, Looking goood. Why not either paint or powder coat the panels in sating black. A durable and more original finish

Regards
Andy

Hi.

@Bud, thx a lot, I found this http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/20225-r21-gearbox-cooler.html#post176999
I guess that's what you talked about

@Terry, I guess you are right with the flywheel, so I checked with some companys in germany here, and I have to say I am not willing to get charged an arm a leg and an eye for it ;-) They want around 1200 Euros for it, that's stupid. So I guess I have to buy it in the US and ship it, still much cheaper. Do you have any vendor recommendation ?

Cheers
(C)arlos

Hi Carlos, Looking goood. Why not either paint or powder coat the panels in sating black. A durable and more original finish

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,
I thought about powder coating the panels. What I don't know is if the coating breaks when you start riveting it ? ... Do you have any experience with that ?
Also I am not sure about blasting 16 or 18 gauge thick aluminum, this has to be done very careful, otherwise I guess the stuff starts twisting like Chuck Bary ;-)

What do you think ?

However, satin black coating would be my preference anyway..

Cheers
(C)arlos

People have had issues with the powder coating flaking when riveting the panels into place. My solution would be to etch prime & then paint the panels. This makes any touching up a lot easier

Regards
Andy

Powder coating is wonderful stuff. However it is only as good as the cleaning of the metal before coating. Aluminum is tough because it oxidizes very, very quickly. If you have any oxide at all on the aluminum that is where your failure will start. We used a lot of aluminum in fabricating for the canning industry and found that we had to powder coat within minutes of cleaning if we wanted good adhesion.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

Carlos,

Your paneling on the front chassis area looks great. One suggestion, I paneled mine in a similar way and found that at high speed my single nostril was lifting. Albeit, my single nostril is not of deep design so intake air thru the front grill and radiator gets under the nostril.

I designed outlets on either side of the chassis incorporated in the panel to relieve this pressure and let air out. Works fine. Pics can follow if you need.

Tim

Hi,

@Andy, that's exactly what I thought ;-( Yes painting is an option to, but this is one of the few things I can't do by myself and they charge you to much here for this. So will see what I do ..

@Tim, thx for the hint. I plan to full control the airflow from the radiator through the nostril using sheetmetall mounted to the nostril, so I hope to element this problem.
I heard from a fellow (he did build 6xGT40 already ;-) ) that this then can work like a spoiler and create a lot of down pressure during high speed (?) Anyway I would appreciated some pictures ;-)
What coilover setup do you use and what is your topspeed ?

Cheers
(C)arlos

Hi,

took the frame today to the powder coating company, hope to get it back on friday. Will post some pictures then.

Cheers
(C)arlos

Hi,
short update.
she is back from powder coating and looks really pretty in black ;-)
Floorpan is sealed and riveted.
Regardless of all the discussions I decided to weld in two 2.5mm pieces of steel as floorpan where the seat area is. It might would have been enough to just weld smaller pieces in to mount the seats, but my feelings while driving the car wouldn't be the best ones.

Did a lot of paneling tonight, will post pictures later

Attachments

• IMG_8118.jpg
    IMG_8118.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 502

Hi,
a bit paneling has been done over the last days. I like the matte look of the aluminum....more work over the weekend when the new aluminum arrives as I ran out of it yesterday....

Attachments

• IMG_8132_1.jpg
    IMG_8132_1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_8134.jpg
    IMG_8134.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_8135.jpg
    IMG_8135.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_8136.jpg
    IMG_8136.jpg