Opinions on restoration please

How far do you guys think the restoration of a vintage race car should go cosmetically? Should it look like the day it rolled out of the factory or should there be a bit of a patina left on the aluminum and brass parts? I'm thinking of parts like the transaxle, the carb bodies and fuel fittings, the distributor body... all bright and shiny or clean but obviously original?
Thanks,
John

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Personally I prefer restorations to be clean and tidy as the day they first had rubber on the ground.. I also prefer to see restorations where reasonable care is taken to protect the metals. IE there were many cars built - for years - that had no paint or galvanizing on the chassis or tubs. Hence the reason they rotted out to begin with.. I'd be very understanding if a coat of paint, anodizing or powder-coating were tastefully done to preserve the car.

I think the patina reflects the history. They don't need to be covered in mud, but if the sheet metal is dinged because Enzo Ferrari kicked it, then it should stay dinged. IMHO.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Clean but obviously original for me, Fitz! A bit of body patina is appreciated, too.....after all, a race car isn't a race car until it's been raced, right?

Doug

Pete-
It's a Lotus 47GT that was modified in the late '60s. Some photos here: The Kitchner Lotus 47GT

I was getting ready to overhaul the Webers and trying to decide if media blasting the bodies was a good idea, when it dawned on me that making everything look brand new might not be the way to go.

John

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
John, I would agree with Pete, however, after seeing the pictures, it appears that the car has already undergone at least one major resto. With that, I don't see the benefit to overhauling the webers and leaving them in their current state of appearance. Clean them up. But in the end, it is your choice.

Gregg-
It's actually just one long project, begun in the mid-'70s when I bought the car. It is humbling to realize how much work has gone into it, over so long a period, for such small result!

John, I feel your pain! I've owned and raced three Europas. Always wanted a 47. I did get to drive one back in the '70's. I drove it from Boston to Ann Abor, Michigan and the owner paid me for doing so and paid for my flight home. Fun trip! It had a twin cam and a FT200 transaxle. Shifting with the left hand was fun and shifted better without the clutch. Forum member Ben Levy has a 47 with a V8 Rover eng. plus a GT40 MKI Chassis #1030. Don't know if it's on the road though.

Okay, gentlemen, I'll take your collective advice and go with clean and sanitary, not "as new". Thank you for the replies.
John

PS
FPR- that trip took some stones, given the minuscule ground clearance involved!

John,

My limited exprience of historic cars comes from my uncles cars, as does the name of my race team.

He spent most of his wifes extensive fortune on aquiring, resoring & racing Buggattis

Probably at the exreeme end of the scale but my opinion based on what i have seen is wherever possible keep things as original as possible.

The steering wheel on his type 35b was held together with with string & race tape, The Chassis was original and to this day the hollow front axle was about 100 yrs before its time

Good luck with the Europa

Iain

Back