Custom Modular GT40

Hey guys, i think its about time i started a build thread for my project. My budget is quite frankly non existant so am going to be building this as cheap as possible without compromising quality of build/parts.

I want to build a Mk1 with deep vent nostril, Gulf flares and most probably a '888 racing' front bumper/splitter.

16" or 17" 5 stud alloys. Unfortunately not enough budget to run knock-ons and i dislike the look of fakes.

Possibly rear spoiler, depends how brutal i want it to look.

I already have a 400 bhp ford 5ltr Quadcam Modular motor for it and a porsche 930 gbox with LSD thats already been inverted. I am hoping to knock up a DIY 8 stack injectionsystem and a DIY dry sump kit to run the motor as low as possible without having to cut the fibreglass engine cover for clearance.

I am intending to add ABS and power brakes to make it easy and safe to drive aswel as luggage space as i intend to do a few tours of europe before it is sold to start a new project.!

I enjoy the design and build as much as i enjoy driving cars, however one day i may have enough money to keep one whilst i start another!

The whole project is going to be scratch built steel spaceframe, i am going to design everything on the computer before i lift a finger and hopefully i shall be able to cut down the amount of times i need to use any power tools! The last project i designed for we managed to assemble a car to a running state in 7 days. Hopefully i can get this car to the SVA station within 3 months once all my parts have arrived.

I am tempted to use a suspension system similar to the camber conpensating system found on the dax's, has anyone driven a car with this suspension?

The first two pictures are the parts i have acquired so far and the remaining shot is of the last project i worked on.

I managed to get a good deal on the porsche box and bits, however 1st gear maxs out at 58mph and 70mph in 4th is 2400rpm on 27" wheels. I am thinking these ratio's may not be suited to my needs and tbh my heart is still set on a 5spd G50 so i may end up selling the 930 if i can get hold of a bargain G50 and will keep the clutch, starter etc.

I shall keep updating this thread as often as i can, however i expect my build to take over a year!

Regards,
Mudgey

Attachments

• Ford Modular 5.jpg
    Ford Modular 5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 466
  • 4 SPD PORSCHE WITH LSD.jpg
    4 SPD PORSCHE WITH LSD.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 482
  • 1908933466-paris-concept-citroen-gt-concept.jpg
    1908933466-paris-concept-citroen-gt-concept.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 523

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
Let's see, popcorn in hand, on the sofa, and Captain Morgan & Coke on the table...let's go!

hehe just what i was thinking :thumbsup:

but i am going to follow this log, as its kinda what i am going to do (low budget etc).

That concept car looks amazing :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'll try and keep you guys posted with regular updates then! So far ive spent £2140 on the engine, gbox, new clutch etc, hopefully i can have the engine and gbox ready to install for under 5k. The engine has dyno hours only and is pretty much brand new, my SVA centre will accept it as new with a certificate from the original engine builder aslong as he used new parts to begin with. Hopefully i can get a brand new reg plate also!

Back