Radiator Repair?

Ron Earp

Admin
I've got an aluminum radiator for my Z car that is in need of repair. It works, but over the years of racing the cooling fins have been dinged up, closed, mushed with tools, ramed into with an engine, and so on. I do have a screen in front of the radiator to protect it but stuff happens.

The radiator still works and hold pressure, but I'd like to have all the fins "renewed". What sort of service is this and does anyone know a shop that does it? My local shops act clueless about it when I've called and just want to sell me a radiator.

Ron

Ron,you might check with an air conditioning shop(HVAC),not only for cars but more likely one for home/industrial business.They may have tools that resemble 'combs' that will straighten out all the bashed fins(or make your own from the appropriate sized actual plastic comb).It may be a slow process but should work.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron

Unfortunately the only way to repair an alloy radiator with the damage you describe is to get 2 small screwdrivers and use one on each side of the damaged fins and manipulate them straight again.

This can be very time consuming but will achieve a reasonably good result.

I have done this a number of time for friends of mine on both copper and alloy radiators.

The core on an alloy radiator will not be repaired by any radiator shop I have ever found.
They will usually only replace the whole core.

All the best.
Dimi

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks fellows, I thought I'd ask. I got the rake but it doesn't work so well due to the design of the radiator. Those rakes are more for older type radiators best I can tell. It'd work like a champ on the Torino, but not so good on radiators that have a "W" style fin in between the rows.

I just figured if there was some place that would make it like new for $75 through some process I didn't know about I'd try that. Wait, maybe my neighbor's kid would like to make $25.....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Be careful when straightening out fins when the bend is right next to the tube - it's very easy to fracture the tube when straightening the fin. You my want to consider purchasing a new radiator from AFCO for that car - they're not that expensive.

Radiators, Cooling & Heating, AFCO - summitracing.com

There are also less expensive alternatives available on eBay.

Think about what a DNF or cooked engine would cost...

Back