Experience in registering a CAV in AZ

Need some help/ experience if possible. I am building-up a "new" CAV GT40 I just picked up. It is actually an older one from pre auto futura. I am getting ready decide on/ build-up a 347 engine w/ webers for the car. Has anyone out there gone through the process in Az? I have tried to research the Az DMV web site and it isn't much help. Some information I heard said it could be by engine year or vehicle year. I talked to a "level 1" person at teh Az DMV who told me that because it is a replca of a 65/66 it could be registered as that year even though the "kit" parts were built a few years ago, but nothing in writing. Before I put the bucks down for the motor I want to make sure if I need a pre-75 engine (or earlier) I make sure I can find an old block with out having to build up a motor twice. any help/experience would be appreciated

i'll send you all the rule for az dmv and i registered my gt40 as ford gt 1966 ,,,
i'll be home in three days and as soon i'm there you you'll get ...
... its very simble...
neil k.

Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
What do u need to do to make gt 40 street legal?<o:p></o:p>
Arizona DMV locations have an office for vehicle inspections that is separate from the usual license and registration area. This is good news, because the main building is always packed and the wait is usually counted in hours. The inspection area was completely empty and I was able to talk immediately with a live human. The first thing I did was tell the person behind the counter about my little project. I asked what the best course of action would be to be able to register the car for street use. The answer was the same as I got the last time I was there close to one year ago, so I think that I will stick with the plan as outlined by the local authorities. Since we are starting with an engine and other running gear from a 1965 ford the car technically becomes a reconstructed vehicle and dune buggy type, even though it will (hopefully) not see any off road use! <o:p></o:p>
Note to all my gt 40 building friends: <o:p></o:p>
I was given one photocopied sheet of paper with 15 requirements that need to be met before scheduling a "Level 3" inspection.<o:p></o:p>
1. Horn (ARS 28-954) <o:p></o:p>
2. Mirrors (ARS 28-956) <o:p></o:p>
3. Windshield (ARS 28-957.01, 28-959) <o:p></o:p>
4. Windshield Wiper (ARS 28-957) <o:p></o:p>
5. Two Headlamps (ARS 28-924) <o:p></o:p>
6. Tail Light (ARS 28-925) <o:p></o:p>
7. White License Plate Light (ARS 28-925C) <o:p></o:p>
8. Reflectors (ARS 28-926) <o:p></o:p>
9. Signal Lamps (ARS 28-939) <o:p></o:p>
10. Brake Systems (ARS 28-952) <o:p></o:p>
11. Muffler (ARS 28-955) <o:p></o:p>
12. Fuel Tank Caps (ARS 28-965) <o:p></o:p>
13. Emission Equipment (ARS 28-955C) <o:p></o:p>
14. Mud Flaps or Splash Guards (ARS 28-958.01) - (This one apparently does not apply to cars...) <o:p></o:p>
15. For the parts used in the construction of the vehicle: <o:p></o:p>
o Bills of sale <o:p></o:p>
o dismantle permits! This one caught me off guard. I had no idea this required a permit... <o:p></o:p>
o hardware receipts <o:p></o:p>
o invoices <o:p></o:p>
o any other documentation pertaining to the construction of the vehicle. (Will my film is there?) <o:p></o:p>
This list of can be found on pages 9 and 10 of the AZ DMV Vehicle Inspections Equipment Requirements (08/02/01). All of the title 28 Arizona Revised Statutes can be found <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Thanks, Have you had you car inspected. I am wondering about the side reflectors. Did you have to put some on? Also not sure on the year of the engine. It is being built by T&L(hopefully- taking twice as long as quoted). It may be later then 74 requiring potential smog. any discussion there? there seems to be some confusion on the year it replicates vs. the year of the engine/frame

Update- got the engine from T&L- took 19 weeks. Got car up and running the next week. no problem w/ the Az DMV. They were great to work with. All DMVs should learn from these folks. it is registered as a 1966.

Back