Roll-over valves

Chuck

Supporter
Is this what you are referring to?

The RCR has a threaded opening adjacent to the fuel filler for a vent. A 5/16” x 1/8” fitting fits perfectly.

A roll over vent valve was obtained from Street Rods by Michael, Inc. www.srbymichael.com. A 5/16” section of fuel line completes the package.

Attachments

• FuelVent1.JPG
    FuelVent1.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 317
  • FuelVent3.JPG
    FuelVent3.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 326
  • FuelVent4.JPG
    FuelVent4.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 328
No, but I did not know that was there, so thanks for showing me :).

I am referring to a high-flow valve in the filler itself that prevent fuel from flowing out of the tank through the filler hose if the car is upside down. Let's say you are in a wreck and the car rolls and during its travels the fuel filler cap or hose is torn away or damaged. Now fuel is flowing out of the tank either onto the ground or into the cabin. If you look at a fuel cell, the 2 inch pipe into the tank has a ball valve so that fuel cannot leave the tank if it is inverted.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Do you mean the flap type of device that you see in the fuel cells? I don't think so unless maybe on one of the cars that dues use a bladder. I don't think any provision are made for one. Take a look at the ATL and Fuel Safe site you will see the ones in the cells and I think they may also have them for the main large lines. Might be called Fuel Discriminators as I recall. Might be a tight fit as I recall they were sorta' large. On my car I have them for the smaller vent lines but not the larger fill line.

Sandy

Sandy, yes that is what I mean. If I had to do it over again, I would put a removable flap valve at the front of the tank where the filler comes in. Then if the filler pipe was disrupted, it would be a little safer.

I may use something like this instead of the billet LeMans fillers. I am wondering if I could get the stylish covers over top of these fillers:

Pegasus - 2.25" 90 Degree Fill Valve with Twist On Cap

Edit.... now that I look closer, the flip caps supplied are WAY nicer than the ones I have seen before (such as on our Cobra). Between the locking fuel cap and the complete seal of the flip lid, that ought to do it.

A flap valve would still be nice at the tank level, but it looks like it would be a beeeatch to retrofit. I know I am being a sissy, it's just that whole fill-the-cabin-with-fuel thing that gives me pause.

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, the RCR cap is way better as it has an internal cap as well. The one thing I need to do is get rid of the key, I can see loosing that at the track and being pissed :)

If I had to do it over I likely would go with the bladders in the side tanks, but when all said and done I think just commons safety sense and good components will be very safe. The tanks on the RCR are really heavy duty and I think just good hose/breather connections will be good. I am going to use a couple of the fuel safe inline roll over valves, as I had a couple but the ones built in with the vent are slick.

Sandy

I am considering cutting out the front tank filler fitting to add a fuel cell flapper valve fitting. I think I will need someone with a plasma cutter. And I just like the idea of a plasma cutter :)

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I have a plasma cutter and it is a really helpfull thing. I would NOT use it to cut the tanks for one big reason, and that is, it produces a sand like substance that will spray all inside the tank due to the air pressure on the cut. Cutting with a saw leave the trimmings mostly at the bottom of the tank and easy to get with a vacuum. The plasma cutter is messy from the sand and air blowing it all over. Easy to do a clean curvy cut and is very happy hacking up stainless, but residue can be a mess!

Sandy

P.S. Get a Plasma cutter even it your not going to cut the tanks!

I had a question on that gas tank vent tube.

The Superlite Roadster comes with an air tight gas cap, so I'm assuming I definately want a vent tube. The gas tank has three holes on the side, all threaded. Is it OK to install this vent valve on the side of the tank and then just run a hose up with a breather filter on top?

I had a question on that gas tank vent tube.

The Superlite Roadster comes with an air tight gas cap, so I'm assuming I definately want a vent tube. The gas tank has three holes on the side, all threaded. Is it OK to install this vent valve on the side of the tank and then just run a hose up with a breather filter on top?

Chad,
You should check with Fran, but I think you want the roll-over vent on the top of the tank. The Fuel Safe guys explained it to me this way: the roll-over valve is not going to prevent fuel from flowing when the car is upright. So, in my case, with a roll-over vent in the front of the car, if I slam on the brakes, fuel gets pushed up the vent tube. The filter keeps the hose from getting plugged, which can literally shut the car down.

FC recommended roll over valve with a line from the top of the rear of the tank (cars stop better than they accelerate) up as high as possible, make a few small loops, then back down to as low as possible being careful that if fuel comes out here it will not hit something hot. Then a filter, which can be as simple as a sock or nylon hose (like Fran wears on the weekends) goes on the end to keep debris out. If the car flips, the tip of the line will actually be above the level of the fuel.

Again, check with Fran. I am only reiterating what Fuel Safe told me (to the best of my understanding).

-J.

Thank you J. I talked to Fran and he did say that the top hole on the side of the tank was for the vent valve.

I'll be taking my car to a race shop, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, to get some custom headers and an exhaust done. I've also got a list of a few things that I'll have them do as well. I might just add this to the list.

Back