RCR-917 Photos

Some photos of a finished factory RCR-917 build. Just posting these on behalf of Fran.

Just an absolutely gorgeous car.

Chasis is an Aluminium tub with a tube for tube replica engine bay.

Engine is a 1980 Porsche 911 6cyl with solex carburetors. Gearbox is a Porsche 930 4 speed.

It's a fairly modest build, and to save costs the gulf blue gelcoat body has all the gulf livery added and then clear coated. So the blue sections are just clear coated gelcoat. The body finish straight out of the moulds is impressive.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• S7301939 (Small).JPG
    S7301939 (Small).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,813
  • S7301940 (Small).JPG
    S7301940 (Small).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,326
  • S7301941 (Small).JPG
    S7301941 (Small).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,447
  • S7301950 (Small).JPG
    S7301950 (Small).JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,296
  • S7301948 (Small).JPG
    S7301948 (Small).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,299
Gosh Darn that car is hot, although it looks like the ground clearance is a little high. I guess that's why Fran decided to offer those devices that raise/lower the GC.

Thanks for the photos.

Every time I see a 917 I think.....mmmmm....would make a great hill climb car...Looks awesome as usual.:thumbsup: Shame the aussie dollar has collapsed or maybe I would reach for my cheque book.

great pics, thank's a lot :thumbsup:

does the wheels are the right one ?
it seem's that the rear wheels are not as wide as the original....
(on 1970/71 917K, the rear wheel are 15" wide
and 17" wide at the end of 1971)

is it possible to fit 15" wide rear wheel ?

Fran,
You and the team at RCR have done it again. What a great car and a credit to the "Americans" who built it.:thumbsup:
Garry

great pics, thank's a lot :thumbsup:

does the wheels are the right one ?
it seem's that the rear wheels are not as wide as the original....
(on 1970/71 917K, the rear wheel are 15" wide
and 17" wide at the end of 1971)

is it possible to fit 15" wide rear wheel ?

Thierry,
most of original cars had a spool instead of a diff or a very high lock factor lsd. Due to this it was almost impossible to turn this cars around or moving them at slow speed around the paddock. The wide rear tires made it éven more difficult. For turning this cars around they always needed a car lift to move it.

For a replica which should be more usable, we decided to go the most practical way. Our rear wheels are 12x15".
Also the rear suspension geometrie are optimised on our cars vs. the original ones.

Of course if one wants the wide look of the 71 cars. He could widen the wheels to 14" and extend the wheel well further out.

TOM

The car looks really great, but i also noticed the rear tires look a little out of place. One of the things that i personally thought made the 917 look so iconic was that view from the rear, with its massive tires tucked under the body.

Its hard to tell whats going on from these pics, but it looks like the rear chassis is a little wider, and/or the setup of the uprights may prevent 15" wide wheels?:huh:

Another RCR masterpiece!

Hmmmm...would there be any chance for lovers of the real thing to get a half way decent recreation of the 917 (leaving aside the engine and tranny)? The bodywork looks excellent in terms of shape and proportions but by looking at the rear view, the cockpit, the chassis, the wheels and worst of all the engine bay LMK seems to display more love and accuracy to all these details.

No criticism meant to the creations of the forum´s pillar saint, but it sure would be a phantastic thing for RCR´s customers to have a choice between the car above and something much more close to a 917 the way it should be.

Best,
Marcus

Fran was saying a while back that he can do a tube-for-tube copy of the original for a much greater expense, but i think a lot of us wont fit be able to fit in that car so this is a nice alternative. These wheels look like the originals if you look closely (how about some high res pics, please), but they are hiding behind those knock-offs.

I do agree that the view from the rear does not look right. I think this may be highlighted by the frame being painted white and the wheels/tires being much narrower than the originals.

Hallo

Here is a close up of the wheel
p4917024Small.jpg

Take a look at this picutre from an original. They where not all as "fat tired" as you may have in mind. This one is even a 71 body with the extended rear clip, Whereas the RCr is a 70 body version.
Pic84.jpg
If
Side view comparisson. No difference there
If you look close on the RCR pic you will see the engine bay cover in front of the car.
Pic26.jpg

S7301940Small.jpg

For example compare how the frame tubes are running behind the rear wheel. This looks like the real thing and due to the monoversion is much saver and easier to enter.
Put a more square sectioned tire and the octagonal central lock nut(you know client rules and if ihe wants spinners, he gets them) on it ( like a DUNLOP CR 82) and you are there.

Tom

Last edited:
The RCR-917 in the photos is the aluminium tub version. The philosophy behind this version is the same as our other replicas. Authentic body shape and size with modern design techniques under the skin.

The engine bay is RCR's own tube design. I did indicate it was tube for tube but got my words confused. I do apologise for that.

With the aluminium tub version RCR have endeavoured to provide period classic looks, with performance, safety and most of all outstanding value.

RCR also offer a full tube for tube replica chassis for people looking for authenticity. But at a more expensive price. Photos of the tube for tube chassis were posted around 18 months ago.

Marcus we are giving customers the choice.

Thanks Tom for posting a photo of the wheels, I was just going to do that.

Some more photos:

Attachments

• S7301960 (Small).JPG
    S7301960 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 688
  • S7301955 (Small).JPG
    S7301955 (Small).JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 710
  • S7301961 (Small)_crop.jpg
    S7301961 (Small)_crop.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 702
  • S7301956 (Small).JPG