Building an RCR?

I've been looking for my next possible project now that my FFR cobra is almost finished, and I"ve been really attracted to RCR's products - mostly the gt40 and 70.

I don't want to just be given a complete roller, plop in drivetrain, paint and finished - if that's the case I may as well just buy a lambo and be done with it .... I enjoy the actual building of the car (i.e., putting it together, but not building the drivetrain, that I'll let somebody else worry about :laugh: )

So I guess basically the questions are

- If you suck at welding and auto mechanics in general, but were able to assemble an FFR cobra, can you do the same with an RCR gt40/70? Or better find another project unless you want to be crying yourself to sleep every night

- Are the build difficulties between a gt40/70 similar, or is one more super complex than the other?

- Can you stick in a 600+++hp 351w to make some decent power, or are you restricted to a 302 (and similar variations)?

-When you get a FFR you get the frame and everything in boxes (and if you're like me, throw everything in the boxes out and buy everything from Gordon :laugh: ). How exactly does an RCR arrive - is some stuff (e.g., suspension) hand assembled, then you take it apart to put int he wiring, brake lines, brakes, etc... etc...?

You would be better to post this in the RCR Forum of this site where all the RCR builders will I am sure welcome you & tell you how hard/easy it is. I would suggest that you go onto the build threads & look thru some of the Individual builds of RCR where you will likely be able to recognise others with similar talents to yours & gauge how difficult or easy it might be!

You would be better to post this in the RCR Forum of this site where all the RCR builders will I am sure welcome you & tell you how hard/easy it is. I would suggest that you go onto the build threads & look thru some of the Individual builds of RCR where you will likely be able to recognise others with similar talents to yours & gauge how difficult or easy it might be!

You're right, I should have put it in the RCR forum; my appologies! Hopefully a mod can move it. :thumbsup:

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
I've been looking for my next possible project now that my FFR cobra is almost finished, and I"ve been really attracted to RCR's products - mostly the gt40 and 70.

I don't want to just be given a complete roller, plop in drivetrain, paint and finished - if that's the case I may as well just buy a lambo and be done with it .... I enjoy the actual building of the car (i.e., putting it together, but not building the drivetrain, that I'll let somebody else worry about :laugh: )

So I guess basically the questions are

- If you suck at welding and auto mechanics in general, but were able to assemble an FFR cobra, can you do the same with an RCR gt40/70? Or better find another project unless you want to be crying yourself to sleep every night

- Are the build difficulties between a gt40/70 similar, or is one more super complex than the other?

- Can you stick in a 600+++hp 351w to make some decent power, or are you restricted to a 302 (and similar variations)?

-When you get a FFR you get the frame and everything in boxes (and if you're like me, throw everything in the boxes out and buy everything from Gordon :laugh: ). How exactly does an RCR arrive - is some stuff (e.g., suspension) hand assembled, then you take it apart to put int he wiring, brake lines, brakes, etc... etc...?

Hi and welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

-first almost any manufacturer will produce a nuts and bolts type kit so dont limit your self, review build threads etc

if it is a rcr GT you want as jac mac said said the rcr forums would be a better place to start :)

i do not believe any kit is "the best" for everyone, i would suggest a kit that cateres for you :thumbsup:

A RCR 40 will be more difficult to build than an FFR roadster and is one of the reasons why I ordered a turn key minus from Fran. You could sublet some of the work to others, but why not have RCR do it and do it right. If you can afford it Fran will build most of it for you. If you desire it enough than you can buid it.

EFNFAST.

RCR40´s arrive as a roller package, means all suspension parts,steering, brakes and brake lines are mounted on the chassis in a way that you can roll around the car. This parts still need to be adjusted correctly. THe body is put on the chassis for transport reasons but not aligned. The rest of the parts are put in boxes which come with the car.

I have not built any other car before and find it very straight forward to built it. I´ve done a lot opf mods to mine which you don´t need to do.

IMHO the best example to look at ix Chuck and Ryans build log. Chuck has built a Cobra before ( EM), but this was a turnkey minus built where he just has to throw in the engine and trans. His main proffesion is lawyer, he has a standard workshop with standard tools. He and his son did a great build, which probably meets and is comparable to your capabilities. Just take your time and look here.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22083-chuck-ryans-rcr-build.html

Other great builds are Ron´s, rob´s and Keith´s, THese are all builds starting from the roller package

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/25274-keiths-rcr-gt40-mk-i-build.html
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/20398-robs-rcr40-build.html
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/17342-rcr-chassis-14-ron-mccall.html

Of course you could also purchase a Kit which is already preassambled to a further stage ( to which is to be defined by yourself). An example for this is J.Salmons´s build.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/24421-j-salmon-rcr-40-build.html

One of the most complex things in the build of any GT40 is the body alignement, due to the multidimensional relations of the single body components to each other.
First RCR has one of the most original GT40 bodies in the market, because it is not a copy of a copy, it is a copy of an original. THis not only accounts for the outer shell, it also account for all the inner liners. Second the surface and fit quality of the body parts is top notch quality.
The chassis and suspension design has created a new industry standard (currently other leading manufacturers are in the process creating a monocoque alternative to their traditional tube frame design design as well) utilising modern highly accurate CAD/CAM manufacturing technologies.

In terms of engine choice you are very flexible. Most of the guys take a 302 based engine which can be pumped up to 600 HP ( ask Gordon). A 351 fits as well, as does the LS type chevy engines. Gearbox choice go from original style ZF or ZFQ, over porsche, audi to riccardo or mendeola alternatives. For either combination the Kit comes with the correct engine/trans adaptor plate, motor and trans mounts and drive axles.

Take the opportunity to visit RCR and take a first hand look to their cars and you will be convinced.

Thanks
TOM

I think Tom has nailed it.

The GT40, T70 etc are a more complex vehicle than a Cobra. So more complex to build. But in saying that my brother built a RCR-40 to a raceable stage in 5 months part time. And his feedback was it was a lot easier to build than the Cobras he has been involved in. He has built 2 x Cobras. But it all comes down to the amount of customisation and level of finish. You can spend very little time or spend a lot of time.

Like anything, you need to see the different kits in the flesh. The RCR-40 is a very impressive kit when you see it in person. That's certainly why I am a distributor for RCR, the quality & design of the cars is exceptional in my opinion. Plus Fran Hall who runs RCR is a true enthusiast.

If RCRs bodies are so original how do lola, gt40, 917, MK4 etc all fit the same chasis? Are you telling me you can pull a body off a Mk1 and drop an original 917 body right in its place. I would love to compare the inner panels of a RCR body to my original from 1017. Lets not make wild claims that we can not back up. I promise you my bodies are the most original and I have sold body panels to a number of original Gt40s going thru restorations.

RCR might make a great kit but their goals were never to be the most original. I know you guys are excited to market these kits but do not confuse the facts.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I also talked with Fran today and he gave me a lot of insight into it. I'm really starting to lean towards a 917. That monster is just :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tom pretty much nailed it. We assembled an FFR, and I bought my RCR40 as close to turnkey minus as any others I have seen on the forum (I think there are a lot of RCRs that go out turnkey that we never see here).

Though I am not doing any body work or paint, which cuts a lot of time, I did choose an unusual drivetrain. There is no question that is adding to the difficulty. You will also find you want things done your way, and that will also make it more difficult.

When we build our FFR (chassis numbered in the 4000's) the forum always had several people who had done what we wanted to do, screwed it up, and then done it right. There was always an answer to a question. If you choose to go into uncharted territory, you will add to your trouble. But the rewards are enormous. I learned a ton building the FFR. there is no comparison to the the knowledge I am gaining now. And I think that is part of the fun, eh? I do not feel like I am in over my head, I just have to be willing to admit I don't know jack, ask questions, and then sort it out.

Go for it!

If RCRs bodies are so original how do lola, gt40, 917, MK4 etc all fit the same chasis? Are you telling me you can pull a body off a Mk1 and drop an original 917 body right in its place. I would love to compare the inner panels of a RCR body to my original from 1017. Lets not make wild claims that we can not back up. I promise you my bodies are the most original and I have sold body panels to a number of original Gt40s going thru restorations.

RCR might make a great kit but their goals were never to be the most original. I know you guys are excited to market these kits but do not confuse the facts.

Jay

I probably should have stated " the most close to original in the replica market".

Up to now i have not considered your business as part of this market, I always thought your are more targeted to suppling aftermarket parts for originals ( or very close original copies). If this is not correct i apologize herewith.
:)There we have again the discussion where does a replica start and an original end. To all, please don´t jump on this again:))

If we talk about facts.
RCR chassis are defenitely not the same for every type in our portfolio. They are based on the same constructive concept ( aluminium monocoque) and they share some major components ( like suspension parts) but they are definitely addapted to each type in terms of wheelbase, track width and design to fit the desired make of body.
For example the 917 chassis has a complete tub rear frame attached to the mono in order to fit the 917 body and beeing close to the original look when you open the rear clip. It also has steel tubed suspension arms rear and front, much different from the cnc milled arms on a RCR40.

You are right in stating that we are very enthusiastic in marketing the RCR products. Beeing a topmanager in the number one freshdairy companies over years i know that company success is all about great products and the ability of your people identify themselve with it, take ownership and accept and carry out responsability.
IMHO Fran and his great products make this so easy as would your products if i would be in the original supply market.

TOM

Last edited:
I probably should have stated " the most close to original in the replica market".

And thats a statement I agree with. RCR's GT40 bodies are very original as I know their whole history. I know a litle about some of the other bodies they make and have no reason to think any different about them.

I talked to Fran when he was just starting out about a Lola or a GT40 and at that time the monos were basicly the same with a different body and a few other parts to make each work. If todays cars are vastly different between makes and more so than just windsheilds and parts to match the bodywork, you guys should take a little time here and lay that out. I have to admit that I am not up to speed on all these changes and have to imagine others thought the same. I am sure a customer learns all this as he gets ready to place an order but the casual customer may not learn all of that until its too late.

I know Tom and Craig have the time and energy to explain and myself and others would like to learn a little more. I did check the website and did not find the info I am looking for. I think explaining how the cars vary to make them more authentic has to be a selling point.

Thanks, Jay

Back