fly by wire throttle

Hi Andy

I have just received an email from a mob in Sydney (yes I'm in Australia) to supply a fly by wire setup for less the $3000 Aus. The company is called Side Show. Fly by wire for me would have to be the way to go. They quoted to supply everything including a throttle pedal that simply plugs into the motor to make it run. I'm as new to it as you seem to be but I would pursue it. Oh by the way I, to have a chev.

Hi Andy

I have just received an email from a mob in Sydney (yes I'm in Australia) to supply a fly by wire setup for less the $3000 Aus. The company is called Side Show. Fly by wire for me would have to be the way to go. They quoted to supply everything including a throttle pedal that simply plugs into the motor to make it run. I'm as new to it as you seem to be but I would pursue it. Oh by the way I, to have a chev.

Thanks for the reply Fred, would be interested to see how you get on if you dont mind, allthe best, Andy

Andy

I see Scott asks a good question of us both I guess so perhaps I should elaborate as to why I'm looking at fly by wire. I have just purchased a brand new Holden LS2 engine and and I need the electronics that go with it. I could buy what I need from the engine manufacturer but I'm pretty sure it would be expensive and somewhat more complicated than having it all made up special. For my application it will be plug and play which is great. But if its not as advantageous for you to go down that path as it is for me it may not be worth it. In any event Ill let you know how I get on.

The OE ECU will drive the throttle Fred.
If the OE ECU is to be used and the FBW function is not used the ECU may go int limp mode or keep throwing up fault codes.

Side show Bob may have an answer to this question.

Jim

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Fred

If you are using a brand new Holden motor it would be far better to use the Holden ECU and the Holden fly by wire throttle as it is all designed to work together and is a proven quantity rather than add an after market system which may not work correctly.

Also down the track if something fails it is much easier to just go and purchase the stock original parts rather than having to locate specialty parts.

I have a 5.4 Boss 260 in mine and run the stock Ford ecu and fly by wire throttle with no problems.

Holden and Ford spent millions in R & D to get these parts working together so it makes sense to stay with the correct parts.

Dimi

Thanks guys
Its all good Information. I did mention in reply to Andy's thread that I had got a quote from Side Show. The guy from side show uses a e40 ecu which I had assumed is a Holden part. The quote included. Relays, fuse boxes, new vin number, accelerator pedal, 2 oxygen sensors , a air flow meter, and all wires cut to the appropriate lengths. Does anyone know the cost of a Holden setup? Im assuming big bucks.

Fred

I don't understand why a $3000 "fly by wire" throttle is significantly better than a $25 throttle cable?
Please enlighten me........

Simon

ps, I'm not being sarcastic, I REALLY do want to know.

Fred,
If you were to run the OEM Holden setup you may also need a BCM(BodyControl Modual) and harness. I think the sideshow guy has simplified the wiring to bypass alot of of stuff you would not need. In the trucks that I worked on the accelerator harness was part of the main body harness controled by the BCM which talked via canbus to the ECM. I think he has also chipped the ECM to take out the factory parameters, Rev limiter and speed govenor etc. The ECM will be a Delphi unit along with most sensors and a few may be Bosh. He must have some sort of ALDL connection to hook up a Laptop to set it up.
Dave

I am using the system that I described in this thread.

You can check it out here.

The throttle by wire does open up some interesting possibilites, as does the CAN bus output. I will share more on this when I start my build thread.

Simon

FBW is for traction control ,stability control ect.
It can be done by other means but this has become the simplest solution.

Jim

Back