Classic Racing- Cape Town, Soth Africa

I visited Kirlarney Racetrack (My old sparring ground) outside of Cape Town, on my recent trip to South Africa.
It was so good to see so many classic racing cars restored to be raced.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken that's the meeting that David Piper and a few other Europe based cars and drivers were out for last year? Certainly the Mclaren and green Lola are not local cars to my knowledge.

The equivalent meetings this year is the coming weekend at Cape Town, was in Pretoria last weekend.

Some local knowledge here
Classic Car Racing Future Events

Cheers

Fred W B

Last edited:
Fred & Johann,

A fellow forum member & Aussie GT40 owner is currently in SA running in series of three classic meets. He's running in the Formula Junior class with his Stanguellini.

Keep a look out for Norman.

Andrew E

If I'm not mistaken that's the meeting that David Piper and a few other Europe based cars and drivers were out for last year? Certainly the Mclaren and green Lola are not local cars to my knowledge.

The equivalent meetings this year is the coming weekend at Cape Town, was in Pretoria last weekend.

Some local knowledge here
Classic Car Racing Future Events

Cheers

Fred W B

Fred , I brought the Cobra and the Mk I Lola T70 last year to South Africa and also the black McLaren M8F , these cars are from customers from Belgium of me and we did run them in the two events , this year (2009) the Formule Juniors really stole the show with entrys from Australie , New Zealand .
, Switserland ,USA ectra

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the note.

Glad to hear the Formula Junior is a good show, they run in East London (300 km from me) this weekend and if the weather is good I may drive up for the day on Saturday.

Cheers

Fred W B

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the note.

Glad to hear the Formula Junior is a good show, they run in East London (300 km from me) this weekend and if the weather is good I may drive up for the day on Saturday.

Cheers

Fred W B

A friend of my Editor/Publisher of Classic & Performance Cars Africa Fred Phillips is driving at EastLondon with a V8 Supercar Class build by Owen Ashley from Cape Town ,

So, I went up and was glad I did. Got to see quite a few great cars. The weather didn't exactly play along, being overcast with a few showers, but all seeming to be enjoying themselves.

A fellow forum member & Aussie GT40 owner is currently in SA running in series of three classic meets. He's running in the Formula Junior class with his Stanguellini. Keep a look out for Norman.
I said Hi to Norman (in yellow shirt), and he told me quite a bit about his lovely car. Being one of the oldest cars, the long straight and wide open nature of this circuit did not suit the car.

The formula juniors had 21 cars entered, making for an impressive grid

el%20races%20feb%2009%20007.jpg

el%20races%20feb%2009%20043.jpg

el%20races%20feb%2009%20056.jpg

Last edited:
A friend of my Editor/Publisher of Classic & Performance Cars Africa Fred Phillips is driving at EastLondon with a V8 Supercar Class build by Owen Ashley from Cape Town ,<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I didn't chat to Fred, he was pretty busy running both the V8 Super car, and a historic F1.

The V8 supercar was very well turned out, being brand new.

Cheers

Fred

el%20races%20feb%2009%20040.jpg

el%20races%20feb%2009%20016.jpg

Local classics ran as well. When last did you see a firenza beating a GT40?
V8 engined firenzas were build in period in SA and the "Can-Ams" now have a cult following here.

Cheers

Fred W B

el%20races%20feb%2009%20080.jpg

Back