MSD distributor

Hello everyone, I have aquired a MSD distributor, Model 8582, the mechanical advance one with a bronze gear on it. Now what I need to know, is it suitable for my standard (marine) 302? There was mention of a spring and rink kit for the advance curve. I know nothing about these, can anyone advise?

I know I need a 6AL ignition module, is there anything else I might need?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks,

Murray, if you have a flat tappet cam you wont need the bronze gear. The spring & bush kit is for altering the ignition advance curve to suit your particular application. MSD use a setup similar to SBC for the advance mechanism in that its all under the rotor of the dizzy & quite easy to get at ( except in a GT40 ) :)

Hi Jac Mac, thanks for your reply, I do not know if I have a flat tappet cam, it's a standard 302, what do they usually have? I presume I can change the gear if need be?
Many thanks,

If you have no data on the engine, the only way to be really sure is to remove one rocker & pushrod to look down thru the pushrod hole with a probe light to check the type of lifter in use. If there is a link plate between each pair of lifters its a roller & requires a ford 'steel' gear or your bronze gear ( the wear rate of the bronze gear is quite high & requires replacement @ regular intervals ), if all you can see is a lifter ( no link plate etc ) then you have a conventional flat tappet cam & the standard iron gear is the best option.
No big deal to change gears- just get the dimension from gear thrust surface to dist body correct for your particular block.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The spring and bushing kit ought to be packed with the distributor. If you bought it used, you should be able to get these little parts from MSD. The springs control the rate of advance.The bushing limits total advance.

You might also look at the new generation MSD 6 boxes, some of which are computer-programmable. I think if that had existed when I bought all this stuff I would have given it serious consideration. You have a lot more control over the advance curve with a programmable system like that.

Thanks everyone for the info, I shall be peering down the pushrod hole as soon as I can.
It's going to be some time before the engine will be ready for use but I am trying to get all the bits and bobs together ready to go and to understand what does what!!
Cheers

Back