Fuel tank queries

I have a pair of fuel tanks that came with my GTD.
They are made to fit the GTD and they fit fine.
There are two problems I have with the tanks and I am just wondering if I am being over fussy or if it's something I need to have done.
The tanks were built with no baffles, is fuel "slosh" a huge problem on road cars?
Rather than being at the bottom rear of the tank, the fuel pickup is a pipe thats screwed into the top of the tank. is this good, bad etc
I could fill the tank with foam to stop the fuel sloshing about, but then I'd have to change the senders (see previous "capacitance" post)
The tank have had fuel in the, at sometime so they do need a proper clean before and work's done on them.
Now I am prepared to have the tops cut off and a couple of baffles fitted as well as having the outlet position changed if I really need it done (I'd rather do it now than later) but am I being a bit pickey or is it the right thing to do?
As always, any/all advice greatly appreciated.

Simon

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Simon

I have tanks with no baffles but Explosafe wire wool stuff

At half tank and braking hard fro a roundabout I can hear the pump gulping air. BUT I am running a Facit to a swirl pot so it is constantly running as opposed to just filling a carb bowl when needed.
That said as soon as I stop braking it immediately pumps fuel again.

I also have the outlets in the top of the tank (actually on rear face of tank but at the top and these are pipes that then turn through 90 degrees to pick up from near the bottom of the tank.
In my opinion better than an exit from the bottom of the tank as if you have the bottom exit and a pipe comes off you drain the tank onto the road / garage - from the top and it should not leak unless it manages to syphon.

If I did the tanks again I'd go for metal baffles and then probably also foam fill in between the baffles leaving only the rearmost sectionwith no foam for the fuel gauge sender etc.

But then there is always more than one way to skin a cat

Ian

Simon,
I have had my tanks done the way Ian has described on the baffles. I have a n area for the sender to operate, but the rest of the tank is filled with ATL foam.

My pick up is at the bottom, now I read Ian's post it is sensible, but I am also planning to put a tap in so I can remove, which sort of alleviate's the problem.

I have also had JIC bumgs put at the ends at the top front and rear to allow bleeding, and also one further down that I have capped off to allow me to upgrade later to injections i.e. return line.

Brett

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Tanks with top pickup pipes are a great deal safer, I would think. You DO need baffling to eliminate free-surface effect, which can be a huge pain in the neck. I don't think you need both baffling AND foam, and if I had the option I would use baffling as it doesn't require replacement every five years. Which I believe foam does, doesn't it?

Back