questions about cooling and fuel lines

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Two questions for those who know more than I do, which is damn near everyone if not everyone altogether:

1) with a GT40, what is the best way to set up the cooling system so that air pockets don't form and lead to local overheating inside the engine? My car has the following: a) 302 engine with Edelbrock manifold with thermostat b) standard front radiator, which has both inlet and outlet at the bottom, like every GT40 I've seen, and some small fittings at the top which I think are for bleed lines c) an overflow tank which mounts on the righthand side of the engine room bulkhead, which has a pressurized cap. The car does not have a heater. Suggestions gratefully read and accepted. I do have the plumbing diagram from the JW Automotive book that dates to the 60s, but I am not sure how much use it will be. I know how to connect the main coolant tubes. What I need to know is how to get air to rise to the top of the system to avoid steam pockets.

2) in a carbureted fuel system, with the following: tank, pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filters (main and secondary), carbs, in what order are the components connected? Obviously the tank comes first and the carbs last, but can an electric fuel pump draw through a filter and pump through a final filter? And where does the fuel pressure regulator go in the fuel supply path?

These questions seem like stupid ones, but I don't build cars for a living and I'd rather just admit my ignorance and profit from the experience of folks who've done this many times over. As always, your advice and expertise are much appreciated.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

I ran a small diameter (<1/4") line from the top of the rad to the top of the overflow that allows air in the rad to migrate out. After a two temperature cycles all overheating issues were gone.

With regard to the fule sytem... tank, filter, pump, regulator is typical.

Jim, on the cooling, I would also add a bleed line from a water passage on the intake manifold. This would be either from the front or back of the manifold depending on which is higher due to the engine tilting up at the front (use front passage) or down (use rear passage). This line would then be tee'd into the bleed line from the rad and plumbed into the header tank as Neal suggested.

Back