Top 'o the mornin' to ya!

Hello!

OK, so I literally just clicked on the e-mail confirmation and joined the site!

A little about me,
  • I'm 18.
  • In final year of school.
  • Favourite class is Engineering and hope to take it up in University.
  • Always (and I mean ALWAYS) loved the GT40.

I'm not new to internet forums so you don't need to worry about m3 u5i|\|g 1337 speak or binary either (and yes I used the internet for that, I can't speak it fluently).

I hope to be a useful member and hope I won't be a too annoying n00b....

Right, I'm off to read up on the forum. I've done quite a bit already but it's all been the manufacturers. I've got questions but I'll look around before I ask.

Meanwhile, if you have questions for me, then ask away!!!

Paul.

Welcome Paul, do you have a particular aim with your membership? If you want to add to your knowledge of all things V8 and sporty then you could do a lot worse than read some of these threads. Do you intend to build, buy or in any other way join the GT40 owners in the future, or are you working on some dissitation for school? Not sure if there are any GT40s in Ireland but if there are they will be on here.
Soak it up!
Chris

Paul, welcome to the best GT40 forum extant! You will find very helpful information here which has been posted by some very knowledgable people. Please enjoy!

Chris, I'd love to build my own GT40! It's been my life long dream! Even though I'm pretty sure it'll never be completed. :D

Only complication that isn't obvious is the Irish vehicle registration and taxation. You have to know the grams of CO2 per kilometer travelled for your engine. That's not exactly something that a company like Roush or Edelbrock knows about their engine. So to find it out the g//KM you have to pay a recognized engineer to test the car. It's €150 or $190 just for that and then they charge you 36% of the cost of the car if the CO2 rating is over 250g ish.

To put that into perspective the Ford Mondeo has 139 g/KM. The Toyota Prius has 104g/km. A BMW M3 has 295 g/km.

The 36% that they charge you is based on the value of the car. With Kit cars, hey make the price up. They literally charge you for your own work! they take the price of what the car would have been if bought complete, then charge you for any extras you put on it. To add insult to injury here they then decide what the car would have cost in Ireland if bought here (which you CAN'T do) and charge you on that price.

It goes something like this: so you bought the car for 20,000? OK... And it would have been how much built? OK so that's 30,000 then. Did you put extra stuff in it? OK, 35,000. Hmmm, how much if you bought it here? Oh, you can't? OK, welllll I'd say it'd be about 45,000 right? So the Vehicle Registration Tax there will be 36% of 45,000 = 16,200.

Do you know what the Vehicle Registration Tax is for? It's simply to get the license plate...

Sorry about the rant.

Anyway, yes Chris, I'd like to get a GT40! :D

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome

How about a UK registration and drive it across the border!

A bit easier over the UK "side" (But being made more difficult with the IVA)

Ian

Yeah, I thought of that for about an hour but then I realised that even though it would be easier to get it deemed road legal in the UK I'd then have to bring it over and still have to pay for the VRT.

It wouldn't really save me any money, just a bit of hassle really.

Keep all your receipts and hours worked on the car, value your time and price it up. If you bought an old unfinished project that you could prove the price for, then list all the items you have added and your time cost, all on one well presented piece of paper then I would think it hard for anyone to argue the price, but I know what you mean, all gov organised vehicle approvals seem to be a licence to rob! Plenty of time for you to realise your dream, it took me approx 40 years so no need to rush into it. In the meantime explore the threads and add to your knowledge.

Hay paul my name is Andy i am from dublin and i am in the middle of a GT40 build if you would be intrested in finding out any more drop us an email and if you would be intrested in having a look if you want to

Sounds great man!

Just finished the exams so just waiting on my results to see if it'll be Mechanical Engineering in UCD or DIT. Nothing to do in the meantime though.

I'll get onto you about that Andy. Thanks!

Back