SPF Coilover Wrench

Is there anything special about the spanner wrench used to adjust/remove the coil-overs? Is it something I should be able to pick up easily? Is there a "size" I should use?

Also I don't see that the threads have any lube on them so is it OK to adjust them with a load on them? I'm just worried about galling.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Richard on my other cars I have used never cease (spelling??) its messy and dirt sticks to it but never has galled. I adjusted them on the GT40 by taking all the weight of the suspension then using a hammer and flat punch loosened the lock ring then using my hands just turned the bottom. We had the spanners but was more problem getting in the space to use them than it was worth.

Richard on my other cars I have used never cease (spelling??)

>>>Actually, it's called 'anti-seize'...

I adjusted them on the GT40 by taking all the weight of the suspension then using a hammer and flat punch loosened the lock ring then using my hands just turned the bottom. We had the spanners but was more problem getting in the space to use them than it was worth.

How positively barbaric! :shout:

The locking rings are just that--once you unlock them, it should be relatively easy to turn them by hand, unless the spring is in compression. In that case, you'll need to turn them with the wrench.

Properly adjusting the car requires using corner scales to corner-weight it. It's possible to set the ride heights correctly and have the car all screwed up in terms of corner weights, which leads to erratic handling. Setting up the corner weights is a bit of a black art; turning the left rear shock will affect the weight on the right front, for example. It takes a bit of trial and error before you figure out what needs to be done to get the optimal setup.

I got one apart the other night using the hammer and a well used flat chisel. I didn't like the results but it worked. I'll have to look around and find someone with a set of scales. The car is in the air so no load on anything and it still had a lot of load on the spring.

I now wish I had taken the suspension off when I first got the car. It makes it much easier to plug all of the holes water can get in. I'll post more about that later.

Jeff, still working on getting it running. I'm not very fast but I do good work. Thanks for the offer though. Think I'll need something closer to home.

It's strange the best way for me to get to Boise is to drive through Kennewick, Wa. and it takes 7-8 hours. I'm near Spokane Wa. in Coeur d'Alene Id. Lots of car guys but not many racers.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Richard, I know someone who can make you a set if you want. He is a friend of mine for many years, he makes wrench's for Ducati's and many other tools. [email protected] Tell him Jack sent you.

Most speed shops carry a "fit all finger" type of coil over wrench for less than $20.
Buy two of them....I use them on my Carrera QA-1's and they work fine.

Richard:
Stop a Snap-on truck, they have a coil-over wrench with a hinge in the center that fits most shocks and works well. I forget how much I paid but its a nice tool.
Cheers
Phil

I use the spanner that was delivered with my KTM off road motorcycle. I'm sure any decent M/C shop will have one that will work... probably less expensive too.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The problem is there is little room to turn the wrench, I Charlie from procutting makes one with a 3/8 drive for a ratchet, this allows you to get in to loosen or tighten at an angle.

A guy at work said that I might be able to loosen the coil by hand after the jam nut was undone and it worked. Not sure if it will work in the other direction.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sort of a simple question and someone already mentioned - call any race shop and get a standard coilover wrench. Racerpartswholesale.com, pegasus, etc.

That said, you don't need "no stinkin' wrench". I have a wrench and hardly ever use it. I use whatever tool I have in my hand and punch the lock ring loose. Once done you can adjust it by hand. Generally tighten it by hand too and just tap the lock ring one tap locked and I've never seen it come loose during racing.

R

Back