917 Engine Internal View

I thought some of you might be interested in this. The 917 engine has always intrigued me, so several years ago I began modeling the engine using 3D design software. This is an rendering of a portion of that solid model.

This is a result of quite a bit of research, including a trip to Stutgart last year to take detailed pictures of the 16 cylinder version on display at the Porsche museum.

I currently have about 90% of the engine modeled down to every nut bolt and washer. I will post more images in the future.

Attachments

• Case Assembly.JPG
    Case Assembly.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,783
Here are a couple more rendered images of the 917 engine. One is the head assembly the other is a head cross section.

Mark

Attachments

• Head Assembly 640.jpg
    Head Assembly 640.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Head Cross Section 640.jpg
    Head Cross Section 640.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,058
Marc,

your job is very impressive !!! :thumbsup:

did you have an access to real parts to make your design ?
or is it based mainly on pictures ?

I haven't had hands-on access to any parts for the 917 engine. It was all done mostly from pictures from various sources. I do have a 60's 911 engine that was useful for getting some details of the design from. Things such as bore spacing and cooling fin detail on the heads were referenced from that engine.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fabulous Mark..

This is art that I can truly appreciate!!!

Would you care to part with some higher resolution photos?

Here is the latest image of the 3-D model of the 917 engine. It's fairly complete at this point. I have decided to create an animation of the engine, showing the internal components in motion, that's why the engine is cut away. When it's done I will post it here. I am also going to render this image at 5120 X 4096 resolution. It should make a fair poster at that resolution.

Attachments

• CASE ASSY - 640H.jpg
    CASE ASSY - 640H.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,134

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Now get those renderings to Leopold Figl so that he can get the molds made up and then "hey presto" some V12 castings can appear!

Seriously good work Mark!!

In response to the question of whether this engine could be built, the answer is yes. All the components that are shown in the renderings were created in SolidWorks, and the 3D models could be used directly to produce machined components such gears and camshafts, or used to produce the patterns necessary to create cast parts such as heads. As a mechanical engineer, I have many years of experience making cast, machined and molded components from 3D models and all of these parts were designed to be producible.
A good number of parts, such as cylinder barrels, connecting rods, pistons and rings, can be sourced through aftermarket suppliers, but that leaves a large number of custom parts that would need to be fabricated. It would require quite a commitment to undertake that task.

Back