Original-ish Mk II at auction

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
What you you all think this will be worth? My guess is 750,000 to 1,000,000. No history but some of those bits are expensive, like the side oiler engine and the T44 transaxle.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I guessed way too high....I'm a little surprised as that doesn't seem a lot for a car with those pieces built by Bryan. Well, what do I know...

I was told this car sold in the early 2000's for not much less than the $365,000 Stauffer was asking for it whenI last saw it at Road America, not running, in the late 90's. Also spotted a report it went unsold at its last auction appearance...after zero bids on ebay at a start price of $300,000 ( if I'm remembering correctly)

April 2009 issue of Sports Car Market; Gooding & Company, Scottsdale, AZ auction report:

getimage.php
Lot#48 - 1967 FORD GT40 Mk IIB Replica coupe. S/N P1047B. Red & black/black nylon. RHD. 427-ci V8, 4-bbl, 4-sp. Variable panel fit. Very good paint shows light polish scratches, Plexi windows lightly marked. Clean interior shows normal signs of use. Clean engine compartment. Cond: 2-. NOT SOLD AT $220,000.
Re-creation of a Mk II built mostly from original N.O.S. GT40 components, including most of the tub. Very well done, but at the end of the day, it's still not a real one...but it is a hell of a lot cheaper. Should be worth the low estimate of $250k, which would have basically been the high bid plus vig.

May 2009 issue of Sports Car Market; Showcase Gallery:

1967 FORD GT40 MKIIB

m-1.jpg
GT40 MarkIIB chassis #P/1047B is one of a handful of cars that stand apart from GT40 replicas, having been built from leftover components from the original GT40 production. Built by noted GT40 expert and restorer Bryan Winfield in the mid-1980s. It later benefited from a four year, six figure restoration by noted restorer Jeff DOdge, to MarkIIB 1967 LeMans specs. 427-ci Side-Oiler V8 engine, 600 hp. Sold on Bill of Sales only. $250,000. Bowman Motors, 650.216.6740, [email protected].

Back