Is there a build log anywhere for the SL-C?

Hey. So I am currently trying to decide between the FFR GTM and the RCR SL-C. I have seen countless pictures and build logs of the GTM, but haven't been able to find one for the superlite coupe. Do you guys know of any that exist? I would LOVE to see what the build process looks like as I make my decision.

One other semi unrelated question: what does the brembo brake upgrade cost?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ted -

Check the GT40 Build Logs section of the Forum - you'll find two build threads - "SLC 001 build" by Rob Mesa and "SLC 024 Howard Jones". I know Molleur (Jack) has a build in progress but he has not posted details yet. I have my car and will post a build thread when I get to that point - too many other projects going on at this point.

Sorry I can't help with the Brembo brake upgrade cost - best to give Fran a call at the shop. I may have to check on that one myself. I hadn't heard there was a brake upgrade option.

Regards,
Dave L

I'll be doing a build thread here and on one of the rotary forums when my car arrives in 4 months or so. I kind of geek out on those things and have done several others so it should be fairly detailed. I like doing them because it is a great way to hear others advice, ideas and criticism, good or bad, to help me along my way.

As for the brake upgrades, I chose the Brembo option but I'll leave it to Fran to lay out the pricing since in all likelihood it will go up or down depending on several factors at the time of ordering. Easiest way is to contact him :)

Okay Ted, here are a few details. Have not started a real build log yet. Documenting a bunch though. Working on the SL-C off & on depending on some other factors. Coming along beautifully, still very excited!
Have spent most of the time getting sub-assemblies done. Modded LS1 engine 430hp/390tq, intake/cam/valve springs/pushrods/porting. Set up for oil cooler.
Remote electric water pump, all AN lines & fittings. Finish sanding around some cut edges (windows, etc.) on the bodywork. Polished suspension parts/engine bay momo aluminum/entire front footbox and rad supports polished. Upper door hinges polished. Coated undertray with Rustbullet Automotive (silver-gray), coated front wheelwell area's of chassis with Rustbullet Hardshell black. Great stuff! Begun mocking up locations for minor components, etc.
Did first engine fit to determine coolant lines routing.
Prepared my 930LSD gearbox, drilled & tapped for AN fittings for pump & cooler.
Lots of thought about specific details that I will add later. Fussing about colors.
Simply a fantastic car!

Jack Molleur SL-C 009

Thinking about it Dave, that's a bit down the road but I will do something. Solution is not difficult for that. Doing gas struts for the doors and rear clip. Rob Mesa came up with a good system for the doors. Have not made all of the body cut outs just yet. Easy stuff and not too time consuming. Concentrating on the mechanicals, then it will be a straight forward assembly. Car almost builds itself! I'm just being fussy. My SL-C is slightly different as I'm using the LS1 and 930 gearbox. Not quite the same as LSx and Ricardo combination. Had CMS make a slave cylinder bracket, proto stuff and took some time. CMS made a beautifully milled bracket for me. Ernie at CarQuip was really helpful with SETRAB oil coolers & pump. He also advised me on the holes I had to punch in the gearbox. Current brain teaser is modifying the pedal set for the FBW throttle (not same as LS7). I try not to bother Fran unless I simply can't figure something out. No problems at all so far. The RCR folks have been great. Craig7's SL-C should ship tomorrow. It's art, fully finished and immaculate (say's Craig).

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
had a rare oportunity to line up a mosler MT900S to the factory built SL-C.

The SL-C delux interior wins hands down to the mosler and inner cockpit area (different league)
Was very disapointed under the body of the Mosler with the chassis subframes and suspension parts and any gain in carbon mono was lost in these area. The SL-C is much more of a work of art.
Looks are subjective but in my eyes the SL-C again wins
Mosler brand name wins...at the moment!!!
price...well i need to go and look up the price of a mosler to give a true comparison.

Several magazine reports that the MT900S (LS7) is a "featherweight" at 2584 pounds. The rear end likes to skip about and the ride is quite harsh.
Our SL-C's are lighter, will handle better and are a real bargain in the supercar realm.
Me thinks the SL-C looks better too! The Mosler is not a small car.

Craig Gillingham

Im thinking of how much a compliment it is to the SL-C when comparing it alongside the mosler.
I do / did actually like the mosler :-(

There is the main plant in Riviera Beach, Florida (about 60 miles from me) and a new facility was opened in England, I think last year.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Jack,
he can't at the moment as its still in the RCR shop....and being shipped to the UK this week.

Thanks for the compliments guys...you will be surprised.

molleur: post some pics!! haha, I can't wait to see how it looks.

I've taken a look at the other build logs, and I'm hoping that someone does a super thorough, every-single-step build log with LOTS of pictures :thumbsup:

I am beyond excited to order my kit. Hopefully will have the funds to do so in the next year. It seems that the SL-C is hands down the best kit car out there. Period. I was considering building the factory five GTM, especially given that factory five is a short 20 minute drive from my house, but even that perk isn't good enough to win me over after researching this thing.

I'm going to be using a lingenfelter crate engine (ls3) that is priced at about 10k. Only thing i'm concerned with is the 11.5 compression, which is a stretch on street gas. As for a transaxle, i'll be using the g50.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I'm going to be using a lingenfelter crate engine (ls3) that is priced at about 10k. Only thing i'm concerned with is the 11.5 compression, which is a stretch on street gas. As for a transaxle, i'll be using the g50.

Ted -

Nice choice! I'm using a stock crate LS3 with a G50....I guess I'm biased.....

Dave L

Yea. Ever since I decided to build a kit car, I knew I wanted a brand new engine. Something special about firing up an engine for the first time, and being there when it takes its first steps.

Do you guys think the lingenfelter is too much power for this car? Would it put too much strain on the G50, with its 525 hp/525 ft-lbs? I really just wanted to be able to put a 'lingenfelter' sticker across the windshield :laugh: That, and I feel that it would increase the resale value of the car significantly more than the $5,000 premium I would have to pay to buy it.

Craig Gillingham

kitcar.... sort of an injustice to the car in a way....its a supercar that you can happen to build yourself.... and a f...ing good supercar at that.

i know what your thinking .."duhhhhhh"........ but when you see it you will understand what i am trying to say..:thumbsup:

Believe me I know what you are saying. I will refrain from using the degrading term from now on. Handbuilt supercar is better.

Another reason why I want the big lingenfelter sticker on the windshield...it could be the lingenfelter SL-C! As amazing as RCR is as a company (the absolute best exotic car manufacturer in the country, imo), I don't like the fact that the second R stands for replicas, and I don't want to have to explain to people what RCR stands for haha. Especially in this application, given that it is not a replica. It is a unique supercar from the ground up. I almost think that Fran should create a second corporation to hold the intellectual property for the superlites.

Back