GTD fuel pumps, left or right?

All the GTD's I've seen, have their fuel pumps and filters on the right hand side. I have two copies of the GTD build manual and the later edition says the pumps have been changed over to go on the right hand side. Is there a reason for this?

Simon

Hi Simon,
check james KVA pics of fuel pumps and line instalation,I fitted all on the NS sill as per my own GTD ,this leaves OS sill to fit oil cooler with longish pipe runs with no sharp bends,GTD speedo cable run up the OS sill along with battery cable etc so can get a bit busy with fuel lines aswell,I built a CAV acouple of years ago ,had a fuel pump each side but got a bit cramped on ns sill as the AC is also on ns sill.
cheers
John

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
All the GTD's I've seen, have their fuel pumps and filters on the right hand side. I have two copies of the GTD build manual and the later edition says the pumps have been changed over to go on the right hand side. Is there a reason for this?

Simon

:confused: is this what you really meant?

Well spotted Richard, no LEFT hand side is where I've always seen them (brain fade) I can't ever recall seeing a GTD with them on the RHS.
Simon

Malcolm

Supporter
There is no real reason to put the pumps anywhere special, it depends on your installation. The GTD supplied parts were configured to go on the left side ie behind the passenger if driving a UK spec car. Therefore the manual would support this position. However if doing your own thing no reason for your pumps not to work where you choose to put them. Just make sure they don't get too hot, have accessibility and that any fuel run to the carb(s) is sensible.

When I bought my car back in 90, I was asking about the pumps and why were there two of everything. Ray Christopher said that you could actually get away with one pump if you were not running a monster engine on multiple carbs but people liked the look of two pumps and filters plus it also allowed you to balance your fuel tanks in use.

If you need to get thorugh SVA now I am not sure you can easily do it without EFI. I cannot see a GTD standard fuel pump/filter set up working on EFI so you need to devise a different system. Pumps in the cills makes sense to me.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Basically given that no two GT40's, regardless of make or model, are identical it makes no difference where any items are located.

It is purely a matter of personal choice and functional practicality that dictates parts location.

This is the beauty of building these cars that they are unique to each builder.

Dimi

Back