Fuel Pump Recommendation

Ron McCall

Supporter
Does anyone have a recommendation for a fuel pump?
I am currently running a Holley 140gph "black "pump.
It is all of the sudden having a hard time priming itself.
It worked fine all of last year .I need something that doesn't
require a return and will support atleast 700hp.
All of the pumps I look at say that they want the pump mounted
at or below the pick up height. In a GT40,that isn't really possible.
What are you guys using?
Thanks,

Ron Earp

Admin
Check your pump. I've got two Holley's plumbed in my race car that are above the fuel cell. They worked great but one of them showed signs that your describing late last year. Rebuilt it, all is well. I have two pumps, one is redundant and both are wired on seperate circuits with individual breakers for reliability and isolating problems.

Ron McCall

Supporter
After more checking, it seems to be priming itself,just not making pressure.
The pump looks great inside. What did you rebuild? Was the pump (rotor,vanes,etc) worn out???

Ron Earp

Admin
They sell a kit that has rotor, vanes, screen, brushes, and some other parts. Cheap, worth doing and see is that fixes your problem.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Vane style pumps work only for a limited period of time as a lift pump. You should consider purchasing a gerotor design pump which are designed to lift fuel..

You can purchase these from Holley / Summit Racing and they'll work fine;

Holley 12-150 - Holley HP Series Fuel Pumps

I have a couple of Purolator Facet pumps that I was going to use but have opted to use the more correct but very costly Stewart Warner 240-A pumps instead..

Ron Earp

Admin
Vane style pumps work only for a limited period of time as a lift pump. You should consider purchasing a gerotor design pump which are designed to lift fuel.

They might not be designed for it, but I have had better luck with the vane pumps. I used to have two of these style gear pumps:

Mallory 4110 - Mallory Comp Pump Fuel Pumps

But was always having trouble with them wearing out in about a year or so. The Holley pumps have served well with only one having to be rebuilt in about 65 hours of time, and that might have been a fluke. However, I'm only lifting around eight to twelve inches out of the cell sump.

R

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Where do you get Stewart-Warner pumps? They haven't been made for quite a while. I am using FACET pumps in my car. I think that was what the Safir cars were fitted with.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Where do you get Stewart-Warner pumps? They haven't been made for quite a while. I am using FACET pumps in my car. I think that was what the Safir cars were fitted with.

On the SW pumps - I've spent a small fortune buying them on eBay and swap meets..
More times than not, I was told they were in perfect operating condition (but no guarantees on any items - in the fine print) and they were duds..
I've been through a dozen of them and pieced together 3 of them (so far) for my car. I may offer the remains once I finish putting them together with new gaskets and seals here to members at a reasonable price..

BTW - If anyone has one that does not work and they want to sell it - I am still in the acquisition mode and could use more parts..

On the Facet pumps I have (3) - they are the Facet Dura-Lift pumps;

Motor Components LLC - oem products

Duralift-lge.jpeg

Back