Is this fuel pump sufficient for my application?

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hey guys, I purhcased this fuel pump a while back, but I want to be sure I am going to be ok here. It's the Facet Duralift pump. I'm not interested in going a different direction unless the pump just isn't sufficient. Thanks for your input.

URL]

When you need a tough, hard working fuel pump, with a minimum lift of 10 feet, these fuel pumps provide outputs up to 125 liters per hour, 11.5 psi .76 bar. In thousands of proven on-the-job applications, these pumps have earned the reputation to wear the name – Facet.

Dyno #'s! :)
dyno2.jpg

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Quick rule of thumb for normally aspirated engines is multiply horsepower by .38 to get capacity. Looks like you may be a bit under your needs of 225-230lph. That is one hell of a motor. THUMP!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It does sound like you are going to be sucking the well dry (so to speak) when at full power for any period of time.

I have 3 of those pumps that I was planning on using. One for each tank to a surge tank (swirl pot) and a 3rd to take from the surge tank and feed the Webers. I have since switched my plans to use the more original SW fuel pumps..

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Which would you guys recommend for looks and appropriate functionality (doubt I'll be sourcing the pumps as you did, Randy, though I do admire your determination :) )?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Which would you guys recommend for looks and appropriate functionality (doubt I'll be sourcing the pumps as you did, Randy, though I do admire your determination :) )?

Brent - I have forgotten your carburetor selection..

If your car is like the MK1, you will have two fuel tanks that are not joined - right? What was your plan for bring fuel up to the carb(s)?

Happy to help if I can...

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Randy, essentially a Holley carb by carb connection (supplied by Keith Craft), two fuel tanks not joined. As for a plan....I haven't thought through it well enough I don't think. I was going to use two of the Facet's with regulators (I have two Holley regulators), and I wasn't going to use a check valve as the Facets apparently have them built in.

I am so open to a good and proven plan. :) I'm tired of hurting my brain trying to invent what others have been successful with many times over. :D

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, essentially a Holley carb by carb connection (supplied by Keith Craft), two fuel tanks not joined. As for a plan....I haven't thought through it well enough I don't think. I was going to use two of the Facet's with regulators (I have two Holley regulators), and I wasn't going to use a check valve as the Facets apparently have them built in.

I am so open to a good and proven plan. :) I'm tired of hurting my brain trying to invent what others have been successful with many times over. :D
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the info on the carb..
I understand what you mean.. The fuel systems can be complex when running multiple tanks. The guys running EFI have to deal with even more complex systems and with much higher pressures.
It sounded from your other post that you had only one Facet pump.
Yes - they do have built-in check valves.
They also have VERY nice fuel filters.

You can run a pair of the pumps and input them to a "T" fitting.
Install a pressure regulator on the output of that "T".
Output of the pressure regulator would run to your Carb.

Now - would you be covered if one tank ran out of fuel before the other or if a fuel pump gave out?
Yes - I believe you would as each pump has it's own check valve and would prevent the fuel pressure from the other pump from pushing back through into the opposite tank.
I could (and may) use the same approach with mine only with using the SW pumps..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I would not rely in the non return valve on a Facit

I remember Max had one pump fail on him going to Stoneleigh and the other pump managed to move fuel the wrong way through the "broken" pump and back into the tank - overfilling it and causing the fuel to exit through the breather - not a good idea!

I run a pollack valve on my efi set up and "suck" through it with a facit interruptor pump to the swirl and back through the facit to put excess fuel back in same tank from which it was drawn (6 pipe connections on the pollack valve)

IAn

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Randy...I do like the Facet pumps. For street driving, I suspect (correct me if I am wrong), I could run a pump at a time. For spirited driving or track days, run both simultaneously and that would solve the potential fuel starvation problem. Sound right?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ian may have a point - although these Purolator Facet pumps are a good deal different in quality than the typical Facet Red-Tops.

If you would like to run additional check valves - you could use valves such as these from Barry Grant for $19.00 US;
Barry Grant 140070 - Barry Grant Fuel Check Bleed Valve

132140070.gif

RE: running one pump at a time -

Certainly.. That would work just fine.

If you decided to run these additional check valves - I think I would put them pretty low in the system - close to the cell. The bleed valves are a nice touch that would allow you to drain off the fuel in the system so you could service the pumps without spilling fuel accumulated in the lines..

Matter of fact - I think I'll order up a pair. I'll check first to see if Aeroquip makes them as well as I use Aeroquip whenever possible...

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Now that I think about it, stick with the facet. It'll give my little small block a chance to keep up with you! :)

Back